Napoleonic Wars AI?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chill Brah

Veteran
This new DLC looks fun n all but i haven't heard anything about the AI. How will the AI work in those game types? because i remember commanding AI in fire and sword and it was a total dissapointment (they were pretty dumb). Will there be an advancement command menu or something? I think if they add something like a total war thing, where u select a unit, right click hold, and spread across the map on how thin or thick u want em would be a great idea :grin:

Can't speak fully on the DLCs behalf, as I do not test, but from the livestream I saw it appears that the AI have been improved. They at least have the smarts to use their bayonett at oncoming cavalry, which in previous games they would still be reloading with someone right next to them.

There will be no advances in the command menu, as far as I can tell. And I don't really feel a need for one.
I would say that the AI in WFAS were smarter, actually. They could properly form ranks, were able to follow firing orders properly, and knew how to crouch. I only wish they could be told what weapon type to use specifically(polearms, two-handed, once-handed, etc).

That and the ability to make them actually smarter.

Rallix said:
There will be no advances in the command menu, as far as I can tell. And I don't really feel a need for one.
I would say that the AI in WFAS were smarter, actually. They could properly form ranks, were able to follow firing orders properly, and knew how to crouch. I only wish they could be told what weapon type to use specifically(polearms, two-handed, once-handed, etc).

That and the ability to make them actually smarter.
The command menu in WFAS was implemented into this mod. Watch Diplex's Dev Commentaries and you'll see that. The AI also behave like they do in WFAS,  if not better.

Oh, I knew that. I was comparing the WFAS AI to the Warband AI, not NW.
I know quite well that NW engine will have the gameplay abilities of both Warband and With Fire and Sword.

Rallix said:
Oh, I knew that. I was comparing the WFAS AI to the Warband AI, not NW.
I know quite well that NW engine will have the gameplay abilities of both Warband and With Fire and Sword.
Ah ok sorry for the misunderstanding. It's like 1:00 in the morning where I am, and my brain isn't running as well as usual.  :razz:

I can tell you now the AI are complete bastards.

They are very smart, they follow all commands issued by the player, they now face the nearest visible enemy, so not the nearest if they are over a hill and cant be seen, brings a new tactical advantage into the game. They follow all commands, such as fire on my command, (left, mid and right). They crouch automatically when in rank file, and in melee, well they swarm you and if you get to kill you your exceptionally lucky.

One thing i`d like to see though, is a charge command that makes them actually charge, from what i`ve seen from Diplex`s videos, when you tell them to charge, about half of the bots will just stop, reload, fire then charge.

Maybe have one command that gives the bots ability to do that (like on native), and one that makes all of the bots charge (possibly letting them fire), but not reload or stop.

If you tell your bots to use melee weapons, they will charge with their bayonet.
Or else they will choose if their close to the enemy they will melee charge, else they will take potshots whilst moving towards the enemy.

I Wonder if we still have to chase the bloody horses that are running away when you try to get close to em.  :roll:

iRonTM said:
I Wonder if we still have to chase the bloody horses that are running away when you try to get close to em.  :roll:
No, now they chase you. Though, if you find yourself in command of a group of bot dragoons, do not tell them to switch to melee, or they will literally switch their carbines to melee. You tell them to hold their fire and then charge, and they switch to swords as they gallop toward the enemy.

5arge said:
iRonTM said:
No, now they chase you. Though, if you find yourself in command of a group of bot dragoons, do not tell them to switch to melee, or they will literally switch their carbines to melee. You tell them to hold their fire and then charge, and they switch to swords as they gallop toward the enemy.

Do any of them have bayonets? That was my favorite way to fight in AoFI. Mini-lances.

5arge said:
iRonTM said:

Thanks for the Tip, good sir! I'll note that down right now  :wink:

iRonTM said:
5arge said:
iRonTM said:

Then again watching a section of enemy cavalry trying to club your men to death with their carbines is always exceptionally funny....

Bite Me said:
iRonTM said:
5arge said:
iRonTM said:

Then again watching a section of enemy cavalry trying to club your men to death with their carbines is always exceptionally funny....

Especially when you get bashed in the face by one of them..

Back
Top Bottom