Naming Inconsistency

Users who are viewing this thread

So from the very first time I opened the game (EA) I was saddened that the naming was not very consistent.. at all.
I will use the Empire Culture as an example: (I mostly focuses on the Empire culture, haven't looked properly at others yet)

This is clearly based on Byzantine Era - with a hint of Fantasy spelling. Except its too random.
There are so many variable endings that take the Cultural Immersion out of it. It doesn't feel real.
Like many of the Cities in the game has Os-endings, Ys-endings, Is-endings, On-endings, and even some Um-endings (Like Roman Cities). And the naming of Characters are also like this.
It sounds very fantasy - great! except it doesn't feel real. Not in a medieval sense.
I suggest removing some of the endings. and keeping a few consistent ones. Keep Os-endings (Calradicos, Thorios), Keep A-endings (Ortysia, Onica) and MAYBE keep 1 more. Remove all others. Its too inconsistent and removes the thought that this could be a real civilization.

A few cities examples:
Amitatys - Amitatos
Oristocorys - Oristocoros
Bergum - Bergos/Bergia
Sestadeim - Sestados/Sestadia

A few characters:
Lucon - Lucos
Penton - Pentos
Pharon - Pharos
- You could keep On-endings really, since there are alot of them and they kinda feel Fantasy. But then you got to remove others like Um, Rys, Tys, Ia, Ea.

Am I the only one bothered by this? Planning to make a mod that removes/renames the cities and characters and make them feel more consistent/realistic. (by the way, modding in this game is unnececary hard. too many utilities and confusing setup in general.)

So from the very first time I opened the game (EA) I was saddened that the naming was not very consistent.. at all.
I will use the Empire Culture as an example: (I mostly focuses on the Empire culture, haven't looked properly at others yet)

This is clearly based on Byzantine Era - with a hint of Fantasy spelling. Except its too random.
There are so many variable endings that take the Cultural Immersion out of it. It doesn't feel real.
Like many of the Cities in the game has Os-endings, Ys-endings, Is-endings, On-endings, and even some Um-endings (Like Roman Cities). And the naming of Characters are also like this.
It sounds very fantasy - great! except it doesn't feel real. Not in a medieval sense.
I suggest removing some of the endings. and keeping a few consistent ones. Keep Os-endings (Calradicos, Thorios), Keep A-endings (Ortysia, Onica) and MAYBE keep 1 more. Remove all others. Its too inconsistent and removes the thought that this could be a real civilization.

A few cities examples:
Amitatys - Amitatos
Bergum - Bergos/Bergia

A few characters:
Lucon - Lucos
Penton - Pentos
Pharon - Pharos
- You could keep On-endings really, since there are alot of them and they kinda feel Fantasy. But then you got to remove others like Um, Rys, Tys, Ia, Ea.

Am I the only one bothered by this? Planning to make a mod that removes/renames the cities and characters and make them feel more consistent/realistic. (by the way, modding in this game is unnececary hard. too many utilities and confusing setup in general.)
Vlandian names feel just about right.

I like your Irish Elk.

The names don't really matter to me because all the characters/lords basically act and behave the same way. The only difference is literally the visual (at times)

Am I the only one bothered by this? Planning to make a mod that removes/renames the cities and characters and make them feel more consistent/realistic.

In England, a real country, town names are a combination of viking, roman, saxon and early modern manglings of all three. The same is true in basically every other country that had more than one language in the past. Now while the constraints of Latin and Greek grammar forced everything to have specific endings, their own place names were even more mixed up than the ones in Bannerlord. If everything is completely uniform its much less believable to me than some element of disunity.

In England, a real country, town names are a combination of viking, roman, saxon and early modern manglings of all three. The same is true in basically every other country that had more than one language in the past. Now while the constraints of Latin and Greek grammar forced everything to have specific endings, their own place names were even more mixed up than the ones in Bannerlord. If everything is completely uniform its much less believable to me than some element of disunity.
This is true, but then the appropriate comparison to England would be Calradia, rather than each individual culture within Calradia. There is room for cultural variation within clans (neighbouring clans of different cultures might rub off on each other a bit), but on the whole each culture should be distinct, because they are confined to geographical pockets.

I cant remember like 99% of names. Linguistics in this game is like random generated thus feeling unnatural and unmemorable 🤷🏻‍♂️

Am I the only one bothered by this? Planning to make a mod that removes/renames the cities and characters and make them feel more consistent/realistic.
Yeah, that's kinda a "you" thing. If nothing else, it is pretty immersion-shattering when clans get up to 20-25 kids and adults and there are three sets of repeat names because each culture has so few. Or you have to remember which Ira you're trying to marry in the second generation of the game.
(by the way, modding in this game is unnececary hard. too many utilities and confusing setup in general.)
You can edit the names in an XML.

A few cities examples:
Amitatys - Amitatos
Bergum - Bergos/Bergia

A few characters:
Lucon - Lucos
Penton - Pentos
Pharon - Pharos

i feel there's only a few names actually....

I wish they would add more or if anyone know how mod tell us how to add more names.

But according to names I feel about right in some, think of the byzantine in Anatolia (Turkey now), not all names derived from roman or greek. They had a few mix in

A few cities examples:
Amitatys - Amitatos
Bergum - Bergos/Bergia

A few characters:
Lucon - Lucos
Penton - Pentos
Pharon - Pharos

i dont think theyre that bad but names are the last thing they need to worry about

So seems mostly I am the only one bothered with this, which is fine. It's a me thing.
Some of you brought up some interesting points that the empire incorperated several cultures into itself and so on. The Romans and Byzantine did so as well. However, even if some new names arrived into their alphabet (Weird wording, I know). their naming pattern didn't really change that much.
For example, there is a reason that we read about celtic people in more italic style names like Lucterius - who was a leader of a Celtic tribe under the revolt against Rome and Caesar. Also there were Armenian Kings/Emperors who also were written with Roman/Greek style of wording (Us/Os-endings) as another example.
By this logic, and from what we have seen from the Calradic Empire, this should also be mostly true as well. However, its not. And I don't think its because of logic of how things works. But more of a "this sounds good, cool and mostly right, let's go with that"

Thats my argument :smile:

i dont think theyre that bad but names are the last thing they need to worry about

Everything when examined in isolation can be argued to be trivial -Feasts, Lords names and behaviours, tourneys, bar fights etc etc... but when the combined effect is so scattered and non-consistent - has an overall large effect of being a non-cohesive mishmash which is like a raisins, pineapple, pork sausage and lentil stew.

Back
Top Bottom