SP - General Names for Imperial Troops and Horse Archers I Guess

Users who are viewing this thread

1. Instead of calling Empire footmen 'infantry' call them legionaries (legionary, trained legionary, veteran legionary, etc) with the final level taking the name Palatinae Guard.

It bothered me that only the last tier of unit was called 'legionary' because technically all the infantrymen are legionaries. And frankly, the lower-leveled units are more fitting of the title. The 'legionaries' currently are wearing the same armor most lords do and are far too pretty if you ask me. Naming them after palace guards would be more appropriate.

2. Get rid of the current archer Palatinae Guard and the unit preceding it. Replace it with a tier-4 mounted archer that upgrades into the existing mounted archer.

This is mostly a gripe about names, but I also don't see why the Empire need so many different ranged options. X-bows and mounter archers are already extremely versatile, having a foot-bow line just seem redundant.

Alternatively just rename the Palatinae Guard to Bow Sergeant or something.

EDIT: Its extra weird they designated the elite bow infantry as Palatinae considering in real life they were elite cavalry/bodyguards.

Last edited:
Well maybe some people just don't like xbow and want a line of bowmen. If I pick empire troops I use them for maximum versatility.
Can agree with the name business though.

Well maybe some people just don't like xbow and want a line of bowmen. If I pick empire troops I use them for maximum versatility.
Can agree with the name business though.
I don't know, is there really much difference? I guess right now since there is a problem with the xbow troop's stats bow's are objectively the better option but that will hopefully be patched out soon.

I don't know, is there really much difference? I guess right now since there is a problem with the xbow troop's stats bow's are objectively the better option but that will hopefully be patched out soon.
Well in warband I prefer crossbow because they have a far lower firing rate while have about 2-3 fewer ammo than archers. I found I could keep up the range pressure in sieges better with crossbows then with bow & arrow. But I do find it better to use archers in open battle precisely because their firing rate is so high. I can tell then to hold fire and empty their quivers when the enemies are close enough because I order them to charge into the enemy's flanks.

Back
Top Bottom