Names can now be changed every 6 months

Users who are viewing this thread

Janus

*spicy* *camper*
Administrator
As some older forum users might recall, many years ago we briefly allowed users to change their own display names, but that was quickly abused by some people since there was no limit to how often it could be done. As a result, that was disabled and we've had a policy of only allowing one major name change per account, which we've handled.

Well, I've now written a mod which will allow people to change their own display names again, but limited to only once every 6 months to limit abuse of the system.

In order to change your own display name now, simply go to Profile->"Account Settings" in the top menu. Alternately, click Profile in the top menu and then "Modify Profile"->"Account Settings" in the secondary menu below the top one, for your profile.

You will see the box to change your display name similar to this:
name_change_1.jpg

You can change your display name in that box, then type in your password at the bottom and click the "Change profile" button. Be careful that the name you choose is really what you want, since as mentioned you will not be able to change it again for another 6 months.
If you choose a name which is already in use by somebody else, it of course will not be accepted, and it will not count as a name change; you will be able to try again immediately with another name.

Once you have successfully changed your name, you will see something like this instead of the above:
name_change_2.jpg

The date shown in bold at the bottom ("September 7" in this image) will indicate when you will be able to change your name again. Note that this delay is slightly generous in that it will be exactly 180 days rather than actually 6 months, which would be ~182.5 days (half a year).
So, technically it's 180 days between name changes rather than exactly 6 months.

Be careful what name you choose, as we (the moderation staff) will generally not change your name for you beyond this point if you decide to change it for a joke or if you just make a typo. Once you change it, you will have to wait 6 months to fix it if you choose poorly.

Revolutionary stuff happens. But I believe 6 months thing is not long enough tho.

Editto: Choo choo! All board, next stop is Custom Titles.

I do not like this change. Members become harder to recognize each other. Because when a member changes his name, the other will not know who he is because he recognizes it by his old name.

Age of Empires II: The Densetsu said:
That's not really a problem because you can easily find out who it is by interacting with them or their profile.

How can we learn the identity of a member who has changed the name. I did not see an explanation on the forum ...

Almalexia said:
Socialize, ya troglodytes.

It is not that simple. I am sure there will be too many members abusing this situation. They will exploit this feature.

Quite right. It's not like people were banned from changing their name before. It happened. Now, maybe it'll happen a bit more frequently, but it's still only twice a year per person.

And yeah, if someone changes their name, just look at the rest of their profile. Unless they've changed the whole nine yards -avatar, signature, personal text, etc-, chances are there's still something there for you to recognize. Also, look at their posting style: the 'colorful' characters tend to stand out, yo. :razz:

I just identify people by their profile pics anyway. In fact, I propose you do the same for profile pics, limit changing to every 6 months :grin:.

Phantaso said:
Almalexia said:
Socialize, ya troglodytes.

It is not that simple. I am sure there will be too many members abusing this situation. They will exploit this feature.
If it's a **** that's on your ignore list s/he'll stay there regardless of the name.
If it's a good one or just a normal user changing the name changes nothing and is no issue either.

Back
Top Bottom