NAFNGIFT – get a period name

Users who are viewing this thread

The full explanation would be way more complicated than it needs to be. Suffice to say the adjective mikill takes the form mikli in the masculine nominative singular after words like (h)inn ("the") and þessi ("this"). In those cases it is said the adjective follows the weak or definite adjectival declension. This feature still survives in many Germanic languages.

Leifr Eiríksson said:
Many are of the Haraz [at least, those with the banner] and have been playing since creation with the Einherjar and Fyrd Lewes. :razz:

Well, I know that and also don't play this Mod since yesterday  :wink:! I was not talking about you guys but a few others, clanless Folks.

If anything it adds to the immersion, the more people with special characters the better.  :mrgreen:

Bróðir here, by the way.

Leifr Eiríksson said:
It's no big secret as to how names can be edited to include special characters. What does it matter?

It doesn't matter. It's just something I noticed. And I like to see new players using proper names including special characters.

Hospes fori said:
Maybe I should feel bad about having a name which is written without any special characters then.

What about the "ó" ?

Waidulf said:
Hospes fori said:
Maybe I should feel bad about having a name which is written without any special characters then.

What about the "ó" ?

(´) + o = ó this can be made by most keyboards, but I find it impossible to type ð with any buttons I've in my keyboard. I think the namesystem is M&B is focused on including only the basic letters and therefore you must use pagan magic to have those crazy marks of sounds.

Try right-alt + d. Or right-alt + o ^^
If it doesn't work you're keyboard is not set to the mode in which this works. (I know US-international does it, but I'm not sure about others.)

Barabas said:
Try right-alt + d. Or right-alt + o ^^
If it doesn't work you're keyboard is not set to the mode in which this works. (I know US-international does it, but I'm not sure about others.)

Ya it seems my keyboard is way stupid for such things. I guess it could work if I sacrifice some virgins for keyboard-gods, but as default nothin' interesting happens. At least we've separate buttons for å, ä and ö like all normal people.

sotijalo said:
Ya it seems my keyboard is way stupid for such things. I guess it could work if I sacrifice some virgins for keyboard-gods, but as default nothin' interesting happens. At least we've separate buttons for å, ä and ö like all normal people.

I don't have a button for å, everytime I want to use it I have to use copy+paste :c

Learn how to switch keyboard-settings with a key-combination. I have Danish, German and Icelandic (switching with Ctrl-Alt-a). And the acutes are easy, don't you have the ´`¨^ buttons?

Dansk viking said:
Learn how to switch keyboard-settings with a key-combination. I have Danish, German and Icelandic (switching with Ctrl-Alt-a). And the acutes are easy, don't you have the ´`¨^ buttons?

Ya I've ´`^¨~ and all that fancy ****e. Still the letter ð can't be done with those extra characters and I would need to change my keayboard settings to some other language. Still I think it would be easier for me and only a bit annoying for everyone else if I try to bypass this problem with using th or d in place ð. It's just as realistic as any of those languages written in modern latin alphabet.

Waidulf said:
Hospes fori said:

What about the "ó" ?
As Hroþa says, the use of accents in Ænglisc is a modern manner. Hence I believe it is totally acceptable not to use them in Ænglisc and I do not insist on using them when writing my name either. Nevertheless thank you for your support, but I am afraid I have to stay a muggle. No fancy name magic for me.

sotijalo said:
Still I think it would be easier for me and only a bit annoying for everyone else if I try to bypass this problem with using th or d in place ð. It's just as realistic as any of those languages written in modern latin alphabet.
Well, besides runic alphabets these languages are basically still written in the same Latin alphabets as they were back then, as far as I know. Concerning  Ænglisc the letters g, i and w are the only exceptions I can think of at the moment. Yet this has to do with the overall change of Latin alphabets throughout history and not with these languages in particular.

I think Froda is the first Víkingr player ever who agrees with me regarding accents. :oops:

Personally I don't think of OE g as a separate letter just because its shape was different, as it stems from the same source as the continental g that replaced it. Wynn (ƿ), yes, although I usually write w anyway.

Back
Top Bottom