[N&S] 10th Tennessee Volunteer Infantry "Sons of Erin"

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

McEwanMaster77

Sergeant Knight at Arms
  • eFni7.jpg

Known as the "Bloody Tinth", it was one of only two Irish Catholic regiments in the Confederate Army, 104 of the 170 original men were Irish-born.

Introduction
    Hello to all you fine gentlemen, and welcome to the 10th Tennessee Volunteer Infantry Regiment! I felt that an introduction would be helpful, as we are unlike many of the other regiments currently taking part in the North and South mod.
    The 10th Tennesse is actually a grouping of two separate regiments from Napoleonic Wars: the Marins de la Garde Impériale and the 4th Regiment of Foot, the King's Own. Both of us have been involved with each other for more than a year, and in that way, we have both set our interests on the 10th Tennessee, which was our identity in the ancient "A House Divided" mod.
    We are a joint command, split between Captain Smithy of the Marins de la Garde and Captain Mitchell of the 4th Regiment. We are currently undergoing a reform of the regiment and will repost the roster once that is finished.
    I can easily say for both regiments - THE regiment that we are very exited for the North and South mod. To all who look upon this thread, I hope to see you on the battlefield, as a friend or a foe! Faugh A Ballagh!

First Sergeant McEwan
    Company A
    10th Tennessee​

Regimental History
    The 10th Tennessee Infantry was organized at Fort Henry,on the Tennessee River, in May of 1861, just a few weeks after the first shot was fired at Fort Sumpter. In July,1861,the 10th Tennessee was reported with 720 men armed with flintlock muskets. When accepted into the service of the Confederate States of America,the regiment was reorganized and the Giles County company was designated Company I. This regiment remained at Fort Henry from the time of its organization in May,1861,perfecting itself in drill and discipline,until the bombardment by Federal forces on February 6,1862.

The 10th was under fire at Mechanicsville, and took part in the desperate assault of Longstreet's division on the enemy's position at Gaines' Mill, and emerged victoriously from the bloody combat with the loss of half of the 350 men it had engaged. Three days later, the regiment was in the line of assault at Frazier's Farm, where it met Meagher's 69th NY Irish brigade, and of 180 effective men, only 90 were at regimental muster the next morning. Its ranks soon began to fill up, and the 10th marched with the army towards the Potomac.

At the second battle of Manassas it was under a destructive fire, and lost about 60 men, but was held in reserve. The regiment took part in the capture of Harper's Ferry, then crossed the river and fought obstinately at Sharpsburg, where it lost 67 killed and wounded. It wintered at Rappahannock, and the 10th once again faced the 69th NY at Fredricksburg. At Salem Church, Wilcox's brigade of Alabamians, of which it was part, bore the brunt of the federal assault, and drove them back in confusion, capturing 1500 prisoners; the 10th losing 58 men killed and wounded.

mk-cw-048rebelsons.jpg

It was in the exultant army that Lee led into Maryland the second time, and its colors were flouted in the face of death at Gettysburg; where of 420 engaged, 260 were left on the bloody field. With the army it re-crossed the Potomac, and wintered in the vicinity of Orange C.H. The regiment was again hotly engaged at the Wilderness, losing heavily, and at Spottsylvania suffered considerably. It was under fire nearly every day as the federal army pressed up to Richmond, and its loss was severe at the second Cold Harbor.

At Petersburg the 10th again suffered largely. It fought the cavalry raid on the Weldon Railroad, and participated in the capture of the "Crater." At Deep Bottom the regiment participated with some loss, and lost heavily in the attempt to dislodge the enemy from their position on the Weldon Railroad. The regiment assisted at the repulse of the foe on the plank road below Petersburg, and fought cheerfully on the retreat up the James. At Appomattox the remnant indignantly denied the first rumors of the contemplated surrender, many wept like children at the announcement, and the survivors tore their battle-rent banner into shreds to retain as a memento to their fallen comrades.

Rank Listing
    Officers:
    Captain
    Tag Abbreviation - Captain

Lieutenant
    Tag Abbreviation - Lt

Second Lieutenant
    Tag Abbreviation - 2Lt

Non-Commissioned Officers:
    Sergeant Major
    Tag Abbreviation - SgtMaj

First Sergeant
    Tag Abbreviation - 1Sgt

Sergeant
    Tag Abbreviation - Sgt

Corporal
    Tag Abbreviation - Cpl

Enlisted:
    Private
    Tag Abbreviation - Pvt

Recruit
    Tag Abbreviation - Rct

Muster Roll
    We are currently undergoing a reform of the regiment, and will repost the roster once that is finished.

The Regimental colors were outlined in Kelly Green on a light green background. A gold harp, maroon trim with white lettering; above the harp, "Sons of Erin"; below the harp "Go Where glory awaits you", many men wore the Gold Irish harp on their hats or garments.
    34079702.jpg
Historical information retrieved from "RootsWeb" at ancestry.com and from the previous thread of -Rice-. [/list]

Made this a while back, not as fancy as millanders but it is a good header all the same.
Header_v1-2.png

Code:
[IMG]http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad60/Hard_Panzer/Header_v1-2.png[/IMG]

"Every man should endeavor to understand the meaning of subjugation before it is too late... It means the history of this heroic struggle will be written by the enemy; that our youth will be trained by Northern schoolteachers; will learn from Northern school books their version of the war; will be impressed by the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors, and our maimed veterans as fit objects for derision... It is said slavery is all we are fighting for, and if we give it up we give up all. Even if this were true, which we deny, slavery is not all our enemies are fighting for. It is merely the pretense to establish sectional superiority and a more centralized form of government, and to deprive us of our rights and liberties."

- Maj. General Patrick R. Cleburne, CSA, January 1864,

A little something to bring up the morale of my Irish brothers in Company A.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEma66TAseg

Sergeant Major A. Wylie
Company B
10th Tennessee Volunteer Infantry

Furrnox said:
IRISH BROTHERS good luck :grin: and I must say very nice thread
Thanks! I did it all on my phone, so when I can use my computer, I'll be making it MUCH nicer.

-Rice- said:
"Every man should endeavor to understand the meaning of subjugation before it is too late... It means the history of this heroic struggle will be written by the enemy; that our youth will be trained by Northern schoolteachers; will learn from Northern school books their version of the war; will be impressed by the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors, and our maimed veterans as fit objects for derision... It is said slavery is all we are fighting for, and if we give it up we give up all. Even if this were true, which we deny, slavery is not all our enemies are fighting for. It is merely the pretense to establish sectional superiority and a more centralized form of government, and to deprive us of our rights and liberties."

- Maj. General Patrick R. Cleburne, CSA, January 1864,

A little something to bring up the moral of my Irish brothers in Company A.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEma66TAseg

Sergeant Major A. Wylie
Company B
10th Tennessee Volunteer Infantry
Thanks Rice! Ill probably put those in the thread at some point.  :smile:

47b9dd01b3127cce98548a3b9f8300000055100QaOG7loxbMs.jpg

"They were engaged by five to one when charged on with pure steel, But Erin’s sons did loudly cry "We’ll die before we'll kneel!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdIGFOGzjJ8

There is 1 other Irish Confederate Regiment. I know they were Georgian but I can't remember the numbering.

-Rice- said:
There is 1 other Irish Confederate Regiment. I know they were Georgian but I can't remember the numbering.
8th georgia? "Emerald Guards" i think, green reserved them thought i think...

Ah, well there it is. There were plenty of regiments. I am sure you will find one to your liking. Sadly though none of them will be Irish of origin.

those i know of:

8th Alabama Infantry – Co. I "Emerald Guards"
24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry - Co. C "Irish Legion"
6th Louisiana Infantry - Co. B "The Emeralds"
7th Louisiana Infantry – Co. C - "Irish Volunteers"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom