My views on "Destroying roleplay"

Users who are viewing this thread

A lot of people seem to be crying / complaining about others destroying their roleplay.
---------

In my opinion a vital part of "role-playing" is adjusting to the situation and staying in your role.
So, by my ideology the only way to "destroy" someones roleplay is by breaking the rules,(I.E Metagaing etc) since there's no way to adjust to someone cheating OOCly.

This is a simple concept but a lot of people seem to not understand it, here's an example:

You're playing the role of a priest who is about to hold a sermon.
Suddenly a group of notorious evildoers enter your small church!

manuntersrdm2.jpg

-How to NOT "adjust" within this situation: "Waaah you're ruining my roleplay you dont deserve my roleplay you trolls QQ im going to the forum and make a lot of complainthreads!"
eragoncryfest.png

-The way you should react is how the charachter you are roleplaying as would react. You could ignore the evildoers and continue the sermon, hoping for the best. You could also incite the other churchgoers to repel the evildoers! The possibilities are endless!

Here's another example of how you shouldn't do it:
You are an armored soldier, you had just spent all your money on armor and weapons.
But suddenly a group of evildoers approach you, "asking" for money you not not have!

manhuntsrandom.jpg

-How you shouldn't do it: "Waah you are ruining my rp im taking screenshots of you waaaah"
manhuntersrdm1.jpg

-How you should do it: You are a soldier, you could try fighting them, beg for your life, anything is possible!

So I implore all of you again, do not cripple your own roleplay by staying within a set amount of perimeters but think outside the box!

EDIT:

Another example:
Bunch of evildoers corrupt the peace of the realm!

This time they did it good! They made a 3 faction army to try to repel us, but when they lost against the evildoers they went on the wrong path:

crynlr.jpg

Telling people to ignore NLR is breaking the rules and breaking the roleplay! It's not good!

Now, this is the only thing i will write here, because i'm sick of this discussion.

Steps to ruining roleplay:

1: Be a complete ******* and consider yourself better than everybody else. Completely ignore the IC and OOC pleads of people to leave them alone. Believe that rules are for other people to follow, but you can bend them, if you feel like it.

2: Kill people, despite them paying you the money you demand & Kill people that cannot pay.

3: Come back, time after time again, despite getting killed, to do the exact same type of work, with the exact same people and harrassment that you did the life before, making it impossible for people to get rid of the pest.

4: Metagame, making it impossible for people to engage in 1v1 fights/ambush, because all the said persons friends show up a few seconds later, no matter how well the ambush spot was picked.

5: Demand insane amounts of money, just to get a reason to kill somebody when he cannot pay.
2qk40v6.jpg

6: Provoke fights, for no other reason than you being boored, then kill the person when he defends himself and demand compensation from his friends for your lost horse.

7: Attack people roleplaying in mid-sentence. People that havn't even drawn their own weapon first.

Now: Some other bad things to do:

1: Attack people at spawn
nr10no.jpg

2: Troll
24fig6u.jpg

3: Say "Stop QQing" every time somebody complains. If 150-200 people complains, it might be time for you to rethink how you play the game.

4: Tap-dance on the borderline of what is allowed and what isn't.

5: Keep spouting "Life was Harsh, Life was harsh!" And believe that it justifies you doing absolutely anything.

6: Start meaningless threads about old subjects that people try to forget and move on, with the sole purpose trying to piss them off.

Eragon91 said:
Now, this is the only thing i will write here, because i'm sick of this discussion.
5: Demand insane amounts of money, just to get a reason to kill somebody when he cannot pay.
2qk40v6.jpg
-Peasant who broke the rules by instantly picking up the moneybag of a knight that we killed. Peasant stole a moneybag with at least 20 K

1: Attack people at spawn
nr10no.jpg
Provoked me to attack probably then told her to bring it to the forum because noone cared about her lies.

2: Troll
24fig6u.jpg
Punching a peasant for being ugly? What's wrong with that?(Notice how it says "Again" so the peasant must've done something to provoke it?)

Also, bring these cries to the debate thread, please. I'd like serious replies. All these "points" of your already have been disproved by plazek's long rants.

(I bet I can quote arguements of plazek from other threads to disprove whatever eragon is complaining about. I'm too lazy though.)

Eragon91 said:

1: Be a complete ******* and consider yourself better than everybody else. Completely ignore the IC and OOC pleads of people to leave them alone. Believe that rules are for other people to follow, but you can bend them, if you feel like it.
eragoncryfest.png

"You're not worth my rp"

crynlr.jpg

Bending the rules!

2: Kill people, despite them paying you the money you demand & Kill people that cannot pay.
Well, it's not against the rules, there are evil people out there! Although I disagree to killing people even though they pay!

3: Come back, time after time again, despite getting killed, to do the exact same type of work, with the exact same people and harrassment that you did the life before, making it impossible for people to get rid of the pest.
Yes, that's very irritating.

4: Metagame, making it impossible for people to engage in 1v1 fights/ambush, because all the said persons friends show up a few seconds later, no matter how well the ambush spot was picked.
Aye, that's why a lot of people use the countdown trick so people don't have time to call their friends! although this may impair roleplaying sometimes!

6: Provoke fights, for no other reason than you being boored, then kill the person when he defends himself and demand compensation from his friends for your lost horse.
Well, in real life some people tend to provoke fights, it's the other person's choice to fight them or run away!

7: Attack people roleplaying in mid-sentence. People that havn't even drawn their own weapon first.
Yup that's bad!

4: Tap-dance on the borderline of what is allowed and what isn't.
If you're still following the rules there's no problem in my eyes.

5: Keep spouting "Life was Harsh, Life was harsh!" And believe that it justifies you doing absolutely anything.
Any examples please.

rokema said:
eragoncryfest.png
"You're not worth my rp"

Nice Picture editing there. May i show the rest of the public what happened about 0,5 seconds later?

Mid-sentence, i might add.

5mmz45.jpg

Eragon91 said:
rokema said:
eragoncryfest.png
"You're not worth my rp"

Nice Picture editing there. May i show the rest of the public what happened about 0,5 seconds later?

Mid-sentence, i might add.

5mmz45.jpg

Well, I was going to execute you for stabbing one of us with a poison dagger for OOC reasons. And didn't you say you wouldn't post anymore in this thread? Didn't you also say you wouldn't play on the server until manhunters were banned?

Instead of instantly executing you I took some time to try to roleplay with you but instead you cried going: "WAAAH YOU DONT DESERVER MY RP WAAAH YOUR TROLLS!"

Rokema you have it right 100%

By the way what did you do to piss these lads off anyhow?

Ginoenrico said:
Rokema you have it right 100%

By the way what did you do to piss these lads off anyhow?

Well, all the people I posted screenshots of got mad for us manhunters taxing them. Well, we didn't actually tax them since they attacked us and of course... they died. So now since they have no way to fight us on the server so they're trying it on the forums.

Some people do need to chill the **** out.

This is a game. I have encountered the "Man hunters" several times, every time they have Role Played. Granted, they may have Role Played in such a way that they kill people, but they still role play as a group of notorious evil doers as said in the first post. Perhaps form a group to attempt to bring these Criminals to justice!

Role Playing =/= Being Nice.

Herbiie said:

This is a game. I have encountered the "Man hunters" several times, every time they have Role Played. Granted, they may have Role Played in such a way that they kill people, but they still role play as a group of notorious evil doers as said in the first post. Perhaps form a group to attempt to bring these Criminals to justice!

Glad to see people thinking my way.

rokema said:
Herbiie said:

btw, pwned earlier when you guys tried to rob one of our faction members outside our castle :smile:

Herbiie said:
rokema said:
Herbiie said:

btw, pwned earlier when you guys tried to rob one of our faction members outside our castle :smile:

One of your guys stole one of our horses... we weren't prepared your whole faction would attack us, heh :smile:

Herbiie said:
Perhaps form a group to attempt to bring these Criminals to justice!

Of course it is a game. And people play it to have fun. Not to have to deal with a-holes while doing so. Maybe i want to play as a ferryman without having to be robbed by every single customer? Or play as a Witch without having to be attacked with swords the second i pop my head around a corner. Ffs, can't you at least grab a Torch?

People play on the server right now as if it is deathmatch where you have to excuse yourself everytime you kill someone. I have almost completely given up on trying to play something else than a trigger-happy maniac.
How do you expect to be able to have decent roleplay on the server, when the ones that actually try get murdered the first thing that happens?
There is a reason about 50-75% of the old roleplay-community have stopped playing.

The problem with that logic is that the Manhunters "ignore" NLR and come back to do the exact same thing even if you manage to kill them. So there is no way to get rid of them. The only way right now is to wait for them to get boored and leave the server.

Today, for example, the 22nd_ declared war upon every single faction in a row, without ever having a reason better than "world domination". In other words, they were just looking for a chance to kill as many people as possible.

Also, i saw this in the chat today:

2646df7.jpg

Now, i don't know the story behind this, nor why he said it. But it would be nice with an explanation.

Secondly, the reason i am so opposed to the Manhunter is that because every single thing they do is just a chance for them to attack people. That is the only reason they go on RCC, to kill people. And killing people is a large part of destroying the persons roleplay, imo.

It doesn't matter how many fancy words they use beforehand, it always boils down to a single point.
People need to figure out that roleplay means other things than just looking for a reason to kill someone without the admins busting them. Until then, i suggest you stop using the word "Roleplay" and start using the word "Excuses".

At one time, i found a Manhunter stopping an outlaw. I went there to talk to him, and it all boiled down to him insulting me. I told him that he should watch his tongue in my prescience, after which he pulled out his bow and started shooting at me, mid sentence. I didn't even have my weapon drawn when he started shooting. Not random, but still nothing but an excuse to kill people.

And today, when Bad_Manhunter left the server, he had about 20-2 KD ratio. Not even people getting on the server for the faction wars gets into that many fights, so he have to be doing something to provoke people. In other words, he is just looking for fights, and looking really hard.

And it's not only about him being a good fighter, because most people don't even manage to get that score with Kills and deaths combined.

Also, a great example of what kind of A-holes they are is when they intentionally ruined my roleplay several times at the church, by coming back time after time again, despite me being clear that they were not welcome and cancelling the sermon every time they came.

You know Eragon your are pretty much correct but I'm not sure what you want.  I've tried to join up with you in game and you said you were fine on your own guarding miners.  I suggest you rp in a variety of ways that might include forming a small clan or strong faction to keep order.  I'm not sure why some ppl expect to play solo on a server with 70-80 ppl.  OFC you will be robbed or hassled with so many ppl on. 

Some players are always calling for more help or more rules from admin but fail to realize there is a limit as to what admin can really do.  Eragon are you aware that many so called RP'rs use the rules to avoid anything negative?  How many times do ppl engage in war voluntarily and dont complain at all till they die??  Then all you here is NLR  admin!!! they broke NLR ban pls -- on and on they seek revenge thru admin rather than thru RP.  On top of all this the NLR blocks real action being taken vs the trouble makers of the server... no way to have a blacklist of ****head players that are KoS.  There are hundreds of players only a few admin  ... remove NLR pls and let REAL rp'rs  police the server.

I prefer to play alone. I have quite alot of bad experiense from playing with people. This is based much on me trying to avoid fights, while other players don't, so when i play with people i always get dragged into things.

Also, i like the freedom of having to choose whatever i want to do whenever i feel like it, without having to care what the others think.

I am also aware that by playing alone, i am vulnerable. And i don't complain when i get killed in a fair and well based way. But i get annoyed when people destroy my roleplay.

However, when i try to play as a sailer and earn some money, and the first guy i picks up tries to rob me of more than i have, then ends up killing me, i get sick of it.

What i want is people that meet my roleplay with other things than swords. I want roleplay that goes beyond looking for reasons to fight or money.

If i play as a witch, i would like to have a trial, burning torches etc. Not just for some random guy to run up and shout "You are a witch!" *stab*. And so far i havn't encountered a single person that have followed my roleplay when i "Turned him into a Toad".

If i play as a cult leader, i don't want to have to fight off templars 24/7. I want people to come to my preachings, and take a pause from fighting all the time.

That is what i WANT, but i am aware that i cannot get it all. But basically, what i want is people to meet my roleplay with their own roleplay and have an interaction that goes beyond "One of us leaves this place today" or "Hand over your money".
I want people to understand that just because they CAN doesn't mean that they should. Like the guy that robbed me when i was playing as a sailor.

Eragon91 said:
Herbiie said:
Perhaps form a group to attempt to bring these Criminals to justice!

Of course it is a game. And people play it to have fun. Not to have to deal with a-holes while doing so. Maybe i want to play as a ferryman without having to be robbed by every single customer? Or play as a Witch without having to be attacked with swords the second i pop my head around a corner. Ffs, can't you at least grab a Torch?

People play on the server right now as if it is deathmatch where you have to excuse yourself everytime you kill someone. I have almost completely given up on trying to play something else than a trigger-happy maniac.
How do you expect to be able to have decent roleplay on the server, when the ones that actually try get murdered the first thing that happens?
There is a reason about 50-75% of the old roleplay-community have stopped playing.
Well, I feel there's less randomers than there used to be now. If you can't seem to be able to roleplay at all it's probably your fault since I'm having no trouble chit-chatting with a random peasant like Sarah or getting mission from Old_Man

The problem with that logic is that the Manhunters "ignore" NLR and come back to do the exact same thing even if you manage to kill them. So there is no way to get rid of them. The only way right now is to wait for them to get boored and leave the server.
NLR, a new life as a new manhunter, I forget all my griefances and I spawn with no armor and weapons. So killing us just holds us back for half an hour or so. But even in real life if you killed a group of bandits, wouldn't there be a new group around the corner the next year?

Today, for example, the 22nd_ declared war upon every single faction in a row, without ever having a reason better than "world domination". In other words, they were just looking for a chance to kill as many people as possible.
Well, we managed to take all castles on the map and everyone could surrender if they wanted to.

Also, i saw this in the chat today:

2646df7.jpg

Now, i don't know the story behind this, nor why he said it. But it would be nice with an explanation.
Well I'm a manhunter and I don't take kindly to bandits and outlaws on my turf, so of course I'd kill them on sight if I knew they were outlaws. Don't assume I'll go around killing everyone with "Outlaw" above their name.

Secondly, the reason i am so opposed to the Manhunter is that because every single thing they do is just a chance for them to attack people. That is the only reason they go on RCC, to kill people. And killing people is a large part of destroying the persons roleplay, imo.
Harsh times, learn to adjust to the amount of killing going on, you're making ignorant assumptions etc... We've told you this already in 4 threads now, you keep persisting even though in every one of your threads you didn't manage to get us banned or punished, now did you?

It doesn't matter how many fancy words they use beforehand, it always boils down to a single point.
People need to figure out that roleplay means other things than just looking for a reason to kill someone without the admins busting them. Until then, i suggest you stop using the word "Roleplay" and start using the word "Excuses".
Ignorant assumptions again you could see other people are roleplaying fine with us if they comply.

At one time, i found a Manhunter stopping an outlaw. I went there to talk to him, and it all boiled down to him insulting me. I told him that he should watch his tongue in my prescience, after which he pulled out his bow and started shooting at me, mid sentence. I didn't even have my weapon drawn when he started shooting. Not random, but still nothing but an excuse to kill people.
Well, you should've held your tongue, manhunters aren't known for being nice people.

And today, when Bad_Manhunter left the server, he had about 20-2 KD ratio. Not even people getting on the server for the faction wars gets into that many fights, so he have to be doing something to provoke people. In other words, he is just looking for fights, and looking really hard.
Ignorant assumptions again, I get 20-2 kd ratios everytime I play, nothing new. If people complied I wouldn't need to kill anyone.

And it's not only about him being a good fighter, because most people don't even manage to get that score with Kills and deaths combined.
assumptions.

Also, a great example of what kind of A-holes they are is when they intentionally ruined my roleplay several times at the church, by coming back time after time again, despite me being clear that they were not welcome and cancelling the sermon every time they came.
Assumptions again, we only wanted to partake in the sermon and roleplay, we didn't even know you were the priest until you started raging in OOC. Also, you took no IC action so we just kept coming back because manhunters are religious! Don't think you're such a loved member of the community that people would want to intentionally ruin your roleplay or care if you threatened to never play in the server again(Which you did to no avail)

Ehm, no proof all assumptions, eh? Also, not a manhunter thread, we've had 4 of them I believe and in every one of them you failed to get us punished because everything you are assuming isn't true.

My roleplay involves a lot of battles because the people around make it so, if you be a good boy and pay the taxes I'll leave you alone, if you hold your tongue and stop being an insolent peasant you'll be left alone. Harsh times.

Eragon91 said:
I prefer to play alone. I have quite alot of bad experiense from playing with people. This is based much on me trying to avoid fights, while other players don't, so when i play with people i always get dragged into things.

Also, i like the freedom of having to choose whatever i want to do whenever i feel like it, without having to care what the others think.

I am also aware that by playing alone, i am vulnerable. And i don't complain when i get killed in a fair and well based way. But i get annoyed when people destroy my roleplay.
It's your stupid choice to be a loner, don't cry if people target you for being alone.

However, when i try to play as a sailer and earn some money, and the first guy i picks up tries to rob me of more than i have, then ends up killing me, i get sick of it.
Guards, adjust to the situation.

What i want is people that meet my roleplay with other things than swords. I want roleplay that goes beyond looking for reasons to fight or money.
Not everyone is the same, everyone has different roleplay, everyone will not fit with your roleplay, you just have to adjust to the situation in the server! If there's an evil warlord killing people with yellow hats on the server then don't say your RP is ruined when you get killed while wearing one!

If i play as a witch, i would like to have a trial, burning torches etc. Not just for some random guy to run up and shout "You are a witch!" *stab*. And so far i havn't encountered a single person that have followed my roleplay when i "Turned him into a Toad".
I tried having an inquisition against you but you just turned my roleplay down with OOC stuff, if you want people to roleplay with you then you should roleplay with them!

If i play as a cult leader, i don't want to have to fight off templars 24/7. I want people to come to my preachings, and take a pause from fighting all the time.
You don't understand a thing, do you? IF you want to be a cult leader then you have to face the consequences of being one! IF you're a bandit robbing people then don't complain if some lawman tries to kill you!

That is what i WANT, but i am aware that i cannot get it all. But basically, what i want is people to meet my roleplay with their own roleplay and have an interaction that goes beyond "One of us leaves this place today" or "Hand over your money".
I want people to understand that just because they CAN doesn't mean that they should. Like the guy that robbed me when i was playing as a sailor.
If people want to roleplay robbers then let them roleplay as robbers, noone is stopping you roleplaying a sailor just because they don't like boats, do they? You just have to accept there are different people with different kinds of approaching things and roleplaying so you have to adjust to it or perish, it's like evolution, and you're a dodo, crying about how snakes shouldn't eat them.

Hey I have the greatest idea I'm going to roleplay a satanic cult leader!

-Templars try to stop it.
Waaah! Stop ruining my roleplay you assholes!

You may not have noticed, but no one cares any more. This issue has, if not been resolved, then at least put to rest. Unless you have something new to talk about why not just leave it be. Whipping a dead horse wont make it run any faster.

Sorry for double posting -

Let's not derail this threads with random accusations, I'd like to hear more perspectives upon this matter of ruining ones roleplay!

Ser Orindell said:
You may not have noticed, but no one cares any more. This issue has, if not been resolved, then at least put to rest. Unless you have something new to talk about why not just leave it be. Whipping a dead horse wont make it run any faster.

I agree.

Back
Top Bottom