Users who are viewing this thread

Really like the idea behind kingdoms needing reasons to go to war rather than just needless expansion and willy nilly wars being waged for no apparent reasons
Fully agree here. It is breaking the game for the moment

Would love to see some intelligence behind the war decisions & defence of the country.

my 2 cents:
  1. Attacking armies should be exhausted after a siege (increased food consumption) and would require to resupply/rest first before continuing the invasion
  2. Factions should protect their borders more instead of running through the whole country.
    1. The game should recognise a border
    2. Each faction should have an idea what armies are required per castle/city to be able to defend
    3. Sieges should be taxing on the attackers (siege AI might need to get fixed first) > Castle should be able to defend against a bigger army
    4. ...
  3. If an enemy army passes by a fortified castle/city, the defenders should intercept or surround them (spawn defenders in centre of the map and have the attackers spawn on opposite sides)
  4. Based on enemies/allies, financials and size, factions should have to make a decision if going to war is a good or bad idea
    1. If they cannot defend their borders sufficiently (based on finances, bordering enemies/allies), going to war/invade another faction would be bad
    2. Have a specific reason as stated above (princess got kidnapped, important lord got murdered, more land required because of financial reasons or because border is easier to protect...)
  5. Conquered lands that are surrounded by enemy territory should have high attrition rates as they can not supply
    1. When attrition is high, the possibility should exist for an attacking army to just siege the castle
  6. ...

I agree. As soon as one of the factions get an edge over the others they start to snowball and the game is pretty much over.
out of curiosity, how do you avoid such a snowballing effect in the Mount & Blade environment? Adding more risks? Bigger and more aggressive brigands, more catastrophic events like revolts, spreading disease, etc.?

Yes, I restarted my game because of this. I wanted to join one of the Empire factions but spent some time trading, bandit hunting and so on before joining... but by the time I was done, two of the Empires had been eaten by Battania.

I hope this is seen as a critical issue by Taleworlds because it kills any long-term ambition in campaigns for those that don't rush things.

Yes, I restarted my game because of this. I wanted to join one of the Empire factions but spent some time trading, bandit hunting and so on before joining... but by the time I was done, two of the Empires had been eaten by Battania.

I hope this is seen as a critical issue by Taleworlds because it kills any long-term ambition in campaigns for those that don't rush things.

Is it just me or does the whole vibe of the game feel sped up?

I don't understand why there's no consecenses for the faction taking over the map losing resources because of bandits etc.
Would also love to see bandit groups increase in a faction that is also growing and not having troops around so they could
raid villages and crash the factions economy even more. How about thugs taking over the streets because the towns and cities now have
less soldiers? In my gameplay all 3 empire factions are taking over the rest it's cool to see them get back at it but weren't they supposed to be at a civil war?

I honestly think this is going to be a mess for them to balance, and with so many game breaking bugs and crashes in the game it might take a while before they attempt to tackle this.

Problem is; when a lord defeated he stars from zero troops. At least they must spam with 40-60 soldiers (with balanced) than enlarge their armies. İı saw some lords captured by looters.
Both towns and castle sohuld have better and more garrisons. 200 people against an invading army of 600 is unbalanced.

You can't judge if the game is broken after only 1 playthrough. There's a lot of randomness involved. My game for instance is quite evenly balanced (after about 15 hours).

There needs to be a larger sample size before we can say anything.

I don't think it should be possible for it to happen at all without input from the player. It literally ruins the entire campaign as soon as a faction begins to snowball.

Problem is; when a lord defeated he stars from zero troops. At least they must spam with 40-60 soldiers (with balanced) than enlarge their armies. İı saw some lords captured by looters.
Both towns and castle sohuld have better and more garrisons. 200 people against an invading army of 600 is unbalanced.
He should just go to the nearest city/castle and rest and regroup those 40-60 soldiers there, then go recruit in the neighboring towns for the rest.
And indeed, defenders is castles need more troops (especially when bordering to an enemy)

I spent all my playtime getting reputation with all the sturgian notables so that i could recruit troops nice and fast if i ever need to. i noticed that western empire had take a couple of castles and a city from sturgia on one side, then i zoomed out and western empire owned all the map. save for a couple cities in a couple kingdoms. But the rest of the map is just western empire. im only 2-3 years into my playthrough and its basically join western empire or get captured repeatedly for as long as that can ammuse me. Sturgia will be steamrolled next and by the looks of the map, i dont think i can stop it -.- its pretty gamebreaking that this can happen, as it ruins the playthrough. ill probably have to restart

Agreed. In my game the Khuzaits own half the map, Aserai has done literally **** all (which I don't mind at all), Northern Empire has eaten half of Vlandia, and Battania has eaten half of Sturiga. Khuzait decided to have the other two empires for breakfast, which is *horrifying*. My head-lore is that it's some sort of Mongol invasion - but in reality factions expand way too quickly IMO.

From what I've seen, it's a toss up as to who actually snowballs. But it is certainly lame that we're basically guaranteed a faction to snowball.

Part of it, I believe, has to do with how the AI performs when behind. It feels like defending is way further down on their priorities than it should be. The campaign map AI is in general somewhat... questionable?

Suddenly the crusader kings system starts making sense. Make reason to go to war (fabricate claim) go to war over claim, if wins enough and wargoal is taken, peace can be gotten and the wargoal only is kept. If the one being attacked turns out being the winner they can demand lump sum money, or tribute (money over time)

Do you have a precise suggestion for wargoals or cv's?

I remember in Warband there were always lords who wanted to **** up everything because they were war-lovers. You would get these little pop-ups that stated that one faction did some agression towards another one and then the king of the attacked faction would have to make a choice. You could also influence these wars by attacking caravans with a mission.

Adding agressive expansion, revolts, dissent, coalitions etc are also needed. Or some serious rework on the AI so snowballing wont happen. More effective AI defense.

An easier solution is having sieges auto-resolve heavily favoring the defender making conquest slower.

I don't know what the real issue is as everything happens so fast it is hard to understand. In my experience atleast.

Well, for me the Southern Empire eliminated all other Empire factions by day 100. And i have maybe discovered one of the problem/bug. For some reason when Aserai got their asses kicked against the South, they did not replenish any troops at all (Arwa, Tariq and Adram have spent the last 100+ ingame days in the same castle without coming out or recruiting any troops at all). Same goes for the Khuzait. All the lords i have defeated just to test the game out never seem to go back out and recruit new army after they are defeated and released (Or if they magically do, they end up with 20-30 man army and no more). So my guess is that defeated lords somehow are unable to recruit more of the army once defeated too many times (Maybe the AI needs money as well to recruit?? I have seen the lords have 0 coins when you want to ''trade'' or make a ''gift'' to them)

Back
Top Bottom