SP - General My thoughts and suggestions on Campaign so far

Users who are viewing this thread

First off most things i suggest here are gonna be added in the future probably, i am just assuming talewords have more technical improvements at hand right now but ofc there are a lot of content missing here and it shows it's effect clearly.

Let's start with overall campaign, we have a quest line that i am %100 sure nobody cares about and actually plays it. I am not saying remove, just give us an option to play it sandbox without the starting questline and everything related in general because that questline breaks the entire point of "sandbox". Why you ask ? Simply ignore the quest right ? But having a brother and a storyline set up for me is not what i want for my character. So therefor it is not "sandbox" anymore.

Getting into campaign, everything is nice and fun and you really enjoy your first hours. But then as you progress through the game you realize somethings are missing, like how there are so little amount of interactions with Nobles or anyone in general. There are no feasts anymroe and bunch of other content we all know and love about good old Warband. I am confident they will add pretty much every content we had in Warband in time but then again we don't know their plans. So it makes sense to give a feedback about it. Because right now there really are not much to do in campaign and it kinda feels extremely repetetive at some point.

Kingdoms and armies. Oh boi there are some good improvements here. I love influence mechanic and gathering armies. BUT. There are some stuff that i find rather "problematic" about them. New gathering army mechanic instead of marshallship mechanic seems good but it doesn't work well and i will explain why in a second, first let's talk about some other stuff. Influence. One of the most important resources you need. It is good don't get me wrong but new voting-law stuff causing some issues.for the player. Other lords can push out laws that will make life hell for you if you are not prepared for them. At this stage i can confidently say don't join any kingdom or don't create your own unless you have +100 charm. Because other Lords will force push "Lawspeakers" wich will cause you to loose influance forever. Now normally if you are playing easier diffficulties it is really easy to manage but i find it pretty hard to manage on realistic unless you are using cheesy methods. So i suggest certain laws shouldn't last forever. They should last, for example, a week after beeing voted and they cannot be voted again within a week or two. So players aren't forced to grind out skills they don't want to leveled on their character. I mean there are a lot of ways to fix this issue.

Next topic, Campaign AI and Battle AI and also we can talk about why i think gathering armies doesn't work really well.

Starting with Campaign AI. It is the worst AI in entire gaming history. Period. I am just speaking facts at this point, i can easily see there is literally 0 improvement on AI since Warband and gathering armies just makes it even worse. Campaign AI should focus on expanding their borders not trying to capture that ONE castle that has no value whatso ever on the otherside of the map.Let me just give an example here so you can understand what i am talking about easier. Let's say one of the vassalls gathered army that has bunch of lords in it and let's say you are in that army with your men. What will happen is this, they will target a castle, village, city whatever, sometimes you will capture the castle BUT AI will do absolutely nothing to keep that castle. They will just capture it and leave for some other castle far away and completely ignore stabilizing the one they captured. Ah and i forgot to mention that is the best case. In worst case AI will march their armies into other side of the map, siege a castle and just disband before capturing the enemy castle in the middle of enemy territory. And that is exactly why gathering army is not working good. Most of the time factions will gather small armies instead of their full strength, meaning they will be a lot easier to slaughter because they will make ton of mistakes. That wasn't the case with marshallship system. I mean it was not that bad. When you had your full force in one spot, it is harder to loose even if you are trying to siege a worthless castle.

Battle AI. Now that is completely about how other lords control their units rather than how your own units act. Let's say Raganvad has the control over the infantry. You always have to keep in mind Raganvad is an idiot. He will always find the worst spot to hold in battle map and put your infantry right there. In long stroy short, he can loose you the battle.

All the AI problems exist for both sides ofc. But when you are fighting against bad odds, AI will just make things harder for you.

In short

-Make complete sandbox option without main quest
-Add the content we had in Warband and even more interactions with Nobles
-AI needs huge improvements

Back
Top Bottom