SP - General My thoughts about Mount&Blade

Users who are viewing this thread

Just to be clear, I didn't play Bannerlord, but I watched some videos and read about it a bit, and I played all the other M&Bs. Bannerlord improved AI, but it's still far from perfect, and AFAIK a lot of the following applies to Bannerlord too.

My impression is that Taleworlds wanted to make 2 in 1 strategic game, and an RPG, but the result is that their game is neither a good strategy game, nor a good RPG.
AI is stupid, can't use its advantages, and doesn't use strategy. Players are not able to use strategy as well, because there is no point. Or maybe rather, they can use only one strategy. If your army is cav, you just charge, if your army is inf, you make tight formation and place them on a hill, and after clash you go behind enemy army, and spam LMB at their backs. Every battle is the same, it's boring. After some time you come to a point, when you can win battle with any lord, you can win any siege (unless a few lords attack you at once), and the only problem is, that it takes a lot of time, it takes lots of battles, which you don't even want to fight, because as I said, they are dull, you do the same thing over and over again, and it's not a challenge at all. Also combat is not very fun, because altough combat system in M&B is great, bots can't fight, and what you actually do in battles most of the time is spam LMB. You feint and block only once in a while, because bots can't fight, so LMB spam is more effective.
Some people in response to these arguments say some dumb stuff like "But conquering whole calradia is challenging" or "play some harder mod like VC or Prophesy of Pendor", so I will already say what I think about these "arguments" - as I said conquering whole calradia is not more fun than conquering a few castles and towns - harder in this case doesn't mean more challenging. It just takes more time, more grind, and more repetitive, boring battles.

As I already said, M&B has great combat system, and that's pretty much all I like about M&B. That's why I play mostly multiplayer. Also on multiplayer, strategy actually works.
I think it would be awesome if taleworlds abandoned the strategy part in the next game altogether, and focused on doing good RPG or MMORPG, with good quests, storyline, dungeons, etc., with M&B's combat system and improved AI's fighting skills (but for MMORPG health and armour should be probably buffed, so that skill is more of a factor than luck, and you won't die from one lucky hit) (also for now AI fights just different than humans, and you use different fighting style against bots, would be cool if bots fought more like players).
... or at least made an actual working strategy game.
Or focused on multiplayer matches?

Just to be clear, I didn't play Bannerlord, but I watched some videos and read about it a bit, and I played all the other M&Bs.

As I already said, M&B has great combat system, and that's pretty much all I like about M&B. That's why I play mostly multiplayer.

???
I didn't play Bannerlord, I played every other Mount&Blade. Also no, you are just a M&B fanboy with bad taste.

Why not? Especially that I have played all the other M&B games.
No disrespect intended. But if ya cant understand why experience trumps watching and reading then I dont know what to tell you. If a person hasn't played bannerlord then said person opinion and feedback is limited in scope and quite frankly it means less.

That's just reality. Not my opinion

???
I didn't play Bannerlord, I played every other Mount&Blade. Also no, you are just a M&B fanboy with bad taste.

Why not? Especially that I have played all the other M&B games.
You seriously have to ask why absorbing content through a biased third party is not the same as consuming the content yourself.

I wouldnt say everything he said is wrong - the battle are boring and repetitive and the AI's strategy very weak. Agree its usually better to play before commenting but on those areas he's correct

What's funny is that you're posting this on the Bannerlords forums. It's completely fine if you haven't played Bannerlord. You can comment on the games you do have played, like Warband. No one would make fun of you, but if you're commenting on Bannerlord on the Bannerlord forums without even having played Bannerlord, you should've expected this kind of response.

You seriously have to ask why absorbing content through a biased third party is not the same as consuming the content yourself.
Bruh, where is place for bias, when I am reading about how AI works, game mechanics? It's a matter of fact.
Also, idk about you, but I am smart enough, to not share judgement of the person playing the game, just because I see them play, and not play myself.
I wouldnt say everything he said is wrong - the battle are boring and repetitive and the AI's strategy very weak. Agree its usually better to play before commenting but on those areas he's correct
Yeah, exactly :smile:
What's funny is that you're posting this on the Bannerlords forums. It's completely fine if you haven't played Bannerlord. You can comment on the games you do have played, like Warband. No one would make fun of you, but if you're commenting on Bannerlord on the Bannerlord forums without even having played Bannerlord, you should've expected this kind of response.
I would post it on general forums for all Mount&Blades, but there is no such forums here, or at least I couldn't find. As I said I played all the other M&Bs for years, and read, and watched bannerlord, so I definitely can comment on it too :smile:
Obviously bannerlord is based on the previous games and has a lot in common with them...

Back
Top Bottom