SP - Player, NPCs & Troops My overcomplicated thoughts on how the clan tier system can be improved

Users who are viewing this thread

Sorry for rambling but I believe that with how the clan tier system currently works as I understand it, eventually every clan no matter how minor will become max tier despite not actually having any settlements, troops, or money. I think that a good way to fix this and make clan tiers better represent the current influence and power of each clan throughout a long playthrough would be to:

1. make it so that like how winning battles and completing quests earns you renown losing battles and failing quests makes you lose renown, making it possible for clans who fail consistently in wars to go down tiers and adding more of a challenge for players that like to take risky battles for a high reward.

2. add in an extra 2 clan tiers (making it go up to 9 max) and increase the clan tier requirements for the senate policy by 1 and the lords privy council by 2 to further widen the gap between the have's and the have-not's and make it harder for the player and any other upstart clan to suddenly become the most renowned clan in the realm within a single generation.

3. add in a renown drift system where clans will gain or lose a small amount of renown every day if their clan tier is lower or higher than the amount of castles and three times the amount of towns they control.

So if Garios, who has 2 towns and 3 castles, recently lost the civil war after a series of humiliating defeats he would be knocked down from clan tier 8 to tier 7 but his projected clan tier would be 9 and he would gain around 5 renown per day until he eventually reached clan tier 9 over a period of several ingame years.
The inverse could also work so if Garios suddenly made a massive comeback and won a series of glorious victories, but lost all of his settlements except for onica castle in the process, he would be back to clan tier 9 but his projected clan tier would now be 1 and he would lose 5 renown each day until he either takes his settlements back or fades into irrelevancy.

This is my first post so please tell me if I have the wrong tags or am missing anything, thankyou.

I believe that with how the clan tier system currently works as I understand it, eventually every clan no matter how minor will become max tier despite not actually having any settlements, troops, or money.

I think you are right here!

The reknown system needs some love but to adress this particular issue, the easy solution is to add AI requirement to progress to next clan-tier.

IMO, an ordinary IA clan should have fiefs to advance through Tier 4-6. For an minor faction - clan, this barriar is above T4

I like reknown drift - idea and battle-lose loss! They are great suggestion threads of their own :smile:

3. add in a renown drift system where clans will gain or lose a small amount of renown every day if their clan tier is lower or higher than the amount of castles and three times the amount of towns they control.
I'm not in favor of this as long as voting system in the game remains as is. For kingdoms that are on the edge of the map, there's only limited amount of clans that have a fief near frontlines and whenever some newly conquered fief is granted the game apparently takes this into consideration greatly. For example if Aserai takes Danustica, it's likely to go to a clan holding a castle/city nearby. Then if they take the castle next to it that also is likely to be given to the same clan, and so on. Holding this many Imperial fiefs on east also will cause all wars to happen on that front and clans having fiefs on south and west will never be candidates for a new fief, including Unqid himself.

Sorry for rambling but I believe that with how the clan tier system currently works as I understand it, eventually every clan no matter how minor will become max tier despite not actually having any settlements, troops, or money. I think that a good way to fix this and make clan tiers better represent the current influence and power of each clan throughout a long playthrough would be to:

1. make it so that like how winning battles and completing quests earns you renown losing battles and failing quests makes you lose renown, making it possible for clans who fail consistently in wars to go down tiers and adding more of a challenge for players that like to take risky battles for a high reward.

2. add in an extra 2 clan tiers (making it go up to 9 max) and increase the clan tier requirements for the senate policy by 1 and the lords privy council by 2 to further widen the gap between the have's and the have-not's and make it harder for the player and any other upstart clan to suddenly become the most renowned clan in the realm within a single generation.

So if Garios, who has 2 towns and 3 castles, recently lost the civil war after a series of humiliating defeats he would be knocked down from clan tier 8 to tier 7 but his projected clan tier would be 9 and he would gain around 5 renown per day until he eventually reached clan tier 9 over a period of several ingame years.
The inverse could also work so if Garios suddenly made a massive comeback and won a series of glorious victories, but lost all of his settlements except for onica castle in the process, he would be back to clan tier 9 but his projected clan tier would now be 1 and he would lose 5 renown each day until he either takes his settlements back or fades into irrelevancy.

This is my first post so please tell me if I have the wrong tags or am missing anything, thankyou.
+1

I don't know offhand if NPC clans even gain renown?

I would like to see AI clans losing rank upon defection - eg rank 5 clan defecting from Sturgia to Aserai becomes a rank 3 clan. (So long as the AI defecting clan took the impact to its rank/party limit/etc into its decision making). That would require that clans could gain renown in order to get back up eventually, with some sort of taper/equilibrium so it doesn't infinitely inflate, but it would be a cool addition to the diplomacy layer.

Back
Top Bottom