My impression of the game after 50 hours of play time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Limbojack

Veteran
I'm nearly fifty hours into the game, and I'd like to share a list of my main issues with the game so far. Don't get me wrong, I'm having an absolute blast with it despite the occasional bug and crash that naturally follows an early access release. That being said, here are my experiences and issues with the game so far:

1) Snowballing.
It currently brings every campaign to a stop within a couple of years, but as it's discussed in various posts already I'll leave it at that.

2) Lords not giving out quests.
I've yet to come across a single lord offering me a quest, making it almost impossible to improve relations with them.

3) Lords spending way too little time in their primary holding.
They're always running around in some army in enemy territory, making them feel a lot more absent that in Warband

4) Tournaments not giving experience.
The current focus on slaughtering looters as the only viable source of experience is getting tedious, so we need at least one alternative way of leveling up early game.

5) The lack of feats.
I don't want feasts to be held every day of the week, but it would be nice if truces, marriages, and childbirths were celebrated with feasts and tournaments and then the tournament winner would be invited to the feast, allowing for some early game interactions with lords and ladies.

6) Influence is too scarce.
Yes, influence should be a valuable and scarce resource, but why on earth does voting cost influence? Affective the vote, sure. Overruling it, of course. But voting? No, that needs to be fixed.

7) The ruler overruling every election and taking fiefs for themselves, especially after enacting the "sacred ruler" law.
It seems like the opinion penalty of overruling the majority when voting for either laws or fiefs is ignored by the AI and combined the inability of improving relations with lords this makes it really hard to play internal politics.

8 ) Sieges are too easy for the attacker.
I've seen the AI successfully assault cities and castles with roughly the same numbers as the defenders, which should be nearly impossible. A 1:1 death ratio during sieges are extremely ahistorical, and probably goes a long way in allowing for the snowballing. If you were to siege assault a tier three-walled settlement, you should be required to have a fully upgraded siege camp. The AI usually assault after building a battering ram and perhaps a siege tower. I'm not sure how to make the defenders fare better in sieges other than giving them bonuses like increased accuracy to archers, increased health to gates, making the AI throw rocks, oil and the like down on the soldiers climbing the ladders and make offensive siege works move slower in order to give the defenders more time. Sieges should be extremely costly for the attacker.

9) Army cohesion is too high.
Another issue that relates to snowballing and lords being hard to come across. AI armies almost never disband, nor seem to require food, meaning that campaigns will go on forever.

10) The AI is too aggressive.
Not only do the AI rulers declare war on factions on the other side of the map, or ignore its own holdings being sieged down while on the offensive, but also refuses to make peace after reasonable gains meaning that factions get gobbled up too quickly.

11) The lack of a training skill.
This is a huge issue for me personally as I'm already pretty tired of having to fight looters while leveling up. I don't need such a skill being less effective than what we had in Warband, but we should have a way of passively improving our low-tier troops into at least tier three without having to chase down half a billion looters.

12) The lack of buildings.
Villages need buildings to feel more alive and important, and I'd like to see a fief hierarchy where villages bring their resources to the castle their village is under and then it's all loaded onto a caravan taking the goods from the castle to the city (unless the village is directly under a city of course). Cities and castles just need more buildings and several levels of them as it's quick easy to max them out if you have the money to speed up the construction process.

13) Can't make parts of the garrison patrol the area around my castle/city.
This is unironically one of my biggest issues so far.

14) The culture bonuses are hilarious.
The 20% extra troop experience of vladians is simply way too OP compared to any of the other cultures. The only reason not to pick it at the moment is roleplaying for another faction.

That's all I got for now. A few of these will be hard to solve, while others should be rather easy to fix. Personally, I feel like tournaments granting experience, the lack of a training skill and army cohesion being too high are the most pressing ones, and also the ones they could solve the fastest in order to improve gameplay as it is.

For #11, there's a perk under tactics or leadership that gives you either a small bonus to xp for all tier troops per day or medium xp for higher tiers.

Rest of the list looks good. Agreed on all points.

Last edited:
I agree with you overall, but i'd like to add/respond to some of those points, even if they are very good remarks :

8 : you have to consider troop quality there. Take 50 legionaries and 30 fians and you can get a castle defended by 400 recruits without breaking a sweat. It happens really often that an already losing nation will just be scrapping the barrel for its armies, fielding armies and garrisons of mostly T1-T2 units, and just get destroyed on the battlefield/sieges.

11 : with good relations with the towns/villages you can recruit T3-T5 units instantly, and that's something i really love about this game. It makes relations with villages super important, as being able to refill instantly on knights/elite infantry is crazy powerful, but takes time to push relations that high.

14 : I really think movement is king in this game (more movement -> more fights against better targets that would normally evade you, so more XP, more loot, more quests, more everything), so i'd place the Khuzait/Sturgian/Battanian bonus higher. In theory anyway, because none of those bonuses are implemented in the game (at least they are not recapped in the movement speed calculus), and neither are the Aserai bonus, so i just think faction bonuses are all absent for now.

Agreed, good and well put list. Snowballing is still an issue but I know taleworlds is already working on it. What's left I think is a mix of reasons that makes faction take over the map so fast. But one that interest me most is nr 8. I noticed that the AI often dont use the siege tower that way it's supposed to, which is that there should already be men on top of it when the ramp falls down on the wall. Now they start climbing up the ladders when the ramp falls down which kinda defeats purpose(sure they get a little bit of extra cover) since they get cut down when climbing the ladders as if they would have just run up with 3 ladders to the wall instead of pushing a heavy tower. And sieges are still not that costly for the attackers. A guess is maybe because the attackers have so many routes to go now instead of just 1 ladder like in warband. That the defender AI have trouble covering/pathing them all effectivly. I haven't put so much research or thought into this whilst playing but gonna keep an eye on it from now.

After roughly the same amount of playtime, I agree with the OP's points.

My personal additions to his list:

The quests that are in the game are repetitive and shallow.

Leveling is inconsistent. Some skills level up fast, and others painfully slow.

There is no ambience to the towns or villages. A few sound effects go a long way.

Prisoner recruitment system could be better.

Cant starve out castles to force them to sally out (this could be intentional, because the player can carry so much food).

+1
- Less aggressive Nobles
- More social content
- Going on hunt with Nobles to increase relation, spending a day or two
- Exchange of war stories to increase relation
- Threaten nobles to reduce relation
- Duel nobles for influence, denars or troops
- Experience from Tournaments
- Archery contest
- Nobles less agressive, also staying at home in case of a siege
- Siege taking longer to prepare
- Armies needing rest, maybe celebrate victories
- Audiences when owning fiefs
- Rebellions
- Unique Nobles appear later on to turn the tides
- Adventurer gangs hunting bandits and hideouts, can be hired to follow and assist you

Just some ideas

The quests that are in the game are repetitive and shallow.

- Finding daugther : quest has a nice twist the first time you do it, the dialog options are kinda hilarious ("This bastard will leave you in a weak, i know a rogue when i see one"), it has 4 possible endings.

- Poachers : another quest that has nice dialog, interesting moral/roleplay choice, can be played diplomaticaly or militarily. It's not bad.

- Delivering heard : typical fedex quest

- Train troops : boring as hell.

- Get weapons for gang : it's a fedex quest, but the fact that it's about arming a gang, and the fact you'll get controled by the guards makes it feel a bit special.

- Fencing goods/artisans can't sell goods : nice quests that let you dive a bit into the criminal aspect of the game

- Spy in party : bugged, never done it to the end

- Troublesome mercenaries : INCREDIBLY dangerous and tedious quest, even if the concept is kinda hilarious

- Family Feud : this quest is amazing... the first 2 times you do it. But you'll get it every 3 village, and that's too much.

- Requesting permission to use the lands of other village : nice little quest, nothing special but some nice dialog.

- Deserters attacking village : your typical "defend village" mission. Always nice.

- Hunt bandits/clear hideout/find bounty hunters : nothing special, always good cash

Honestly those quests aren't bad for what they are : repeatable sidequests. What the game is lacking is :
- A, more of them
- B, some unique storyline quests. Not "main storyline quest", but some quests tied to a certain place or NPC that you can only do once and has a bit of writing behind it. Like in "With fire and swords", you had a quest with a special horse you had to deliver, and a bunch of things happened around it, it was pretty nice.

For #11, there's a perk under tactics or leadership that gives you either a small bonus to xp for all tier troops per day or medium xp for higher tiers.

Rest of the list looks good. Agreed on all points.
Except the only real way to get that perk in leadership in a reasonable manner in the early game (when you actually need it) is to start with +20 leadership.

Except the only real way to get that perk in leadership in a reasonable manner in the early game (when you actually need it) is to start with +20 leadership.

I always start with high charm/leadership, etc. :cool: because the skills are busted. The rest you can actually skill up in with some regularity.

add calvary with lances ai to that list makes running vlandian cav pointless because they cannot hit anything rather polearm calvary in general because catapharcts have the same issue.

I always start with high charm/leadership, etc. :cool: because the skills are busted. The rest you can actually skill up in with some regularity.
Honestly other than riding, stewardship, trading, medicine, and the first 25 points in ranged, melee and leadership it's all meaningless fluff. Unless you are REALLY into the blacksmithing(weaponsmithing) mini-game. Honestly I can't stand the crafting stuff, and the aesthetic of it feel really out of place with the rest of the game. For me blacksmithing is just one of the few outlets to level companions to pick up a couple focus points so they can progress a bit.

Agreed, good and well put list. Snowballing is still an issue but I know taleworlds is already working on it. What's left I think is a mix of reasons that makes faction take over the map so fast. But one that interest me most is nr 8. I noticed that the AI often dont use the siege tower that way it's supposed to, which is that there should already be men on top of it when the ramp falls down on the wall. Now they start climbing up the ladders when the ramp falls down which kinda defeats purpose(sure they get a little bit of extra cover) since they get cut down when climbing the ladders as if they would have just run up with 3 ladders to the wall instead of pushing a heavy tower. And sieges are still not that costly for the attackers. A guess is maybe because the attackers have so many routes to go now instead of just 1 ladder like in warband. That the defender AI have trouble covering/pathing them all effectivly. I haven't put so much research or thought into this whilst playing but gonna keep an eye on it from now.

This is right. The AI can't defend all these various breaches. There needs to be extra advantages for the defending army.

Some of the defenses does not work in siges, the stones falling in the room behind the gate don't do any damage. I was looking up the stones while they kept dropping them on me and they did no damage to me.

I think AI archers on the walls should be a better tier by standard or get improved accuracy and arrow speed to make the sige a challange.
It's too easy to run up to the walls and raise ladders alone.

In most siges I have done all troops abandon the main gate after battering ram breaks it and goes for the ladders instead.
There is no advantage in building sige equipment right now. Just raise ladders and go up, the archers cannot defend.

Back
Top Bottom