My honest review of a 2010 Wishlist game.

Users who are viewing this thread

needing horses for upgrades but not equipment is a little strange
Good Lord, please no. I don't get it how people may find funny and entertaining the need for armour and equipment to upgrade the troops. I would've never upgraded any of my soldiers if there was a requirement "1 top armour, 2 top swords, ahegao panties and 3 glasses of wine to celebrate his promotion", just because it's boring.

Good Lord, please no. I don't get it how people may find funny and entertaining the need for armour and equipment to upgrade the troops. I would've never upgraded any of my soldiers if there was a requirement "1 top armour, 2 top swords, ahegao panties and 3 glasses of wine to celebrate his promotion", just because it's boring.
I'm agreeing with that point of view though.
However I don't think it would be fun to have to source all equipment for troops as well

I'm agreeing with that point of view though.
Just saw many posts with people asking for this, so you have to manually buy and equip every soldier with armours and weapons, and leveling up only promotes their stats. Imagine doing this while having 200-300 people in your party.

Just saw many posts with people asking for this, so you have to manually buy and equip every soldier with armours and weapons, and leveling up only promotes their stats. Imagine doing this while having 200-300 people in your party.
Fair enough, and yeah it does sound very tedious.

Fair enough, and yeah it does sound very tedious.
You know I was also going to simply dismiss the idea because I also resent having to traverse the entire map in search of horses BUT maybe it could be so that at the start of the game you would manually arm your upgraded troops, but only until you've got a quartermaster assigned, who then takes over the micro-managing and whose traits can even get him better deals (intelligence and trade, logistics were that to exist). By the time you hire a quartermaster, you already have 20 soldiers max, which should be manageable, and then you'd feel the benefits first-hand of assigning companions to these roles, imagine the sense of accomplishment, win-win, innit? Maybe important to mention is that in this system the update of the soldier's stats should not cost money, as it, independent of armaments costs, is basically just battle experience. Players who realise the importance of a quartermaster would simply seek them out first. Another idea that supports this somewhat is having subordinates to army roles. You're telling me a single surgeon can patch up an army of hundreds of wounded men in days? Just as surgeons should have multiple medics assigned under them to bolster their efficiency, quartermasters should have logisticians who would boost his stats or something. You could obviously still use these men in battle, but maybe in reserve, as only in the direst situation would you want to sacrifice your skilled workers.
This would also serve to attach some weight on the logistical aspects of war, which I know hasn't been addressed by Bannerlord in the slightest, but this would be a good starting point, along with army attrition (https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...roving-the-morale-mechanic-suggestion.419058/). Eh, something for modders to consider.

Last edited:
Freemen Guerrila Warfare for all it's many faults did that part wonderfully to me, you get two options when recruiting units, getting them barebones with only civilian clothing for a small fee appropriated to their level or paying premium for them to come fully geared according to their troop type.

With this during early-mid game it makes more sense to save looted gear from battles to equip your new recruits and as you go expanding your economic base you get the cash flow to start paying for fully equiped soldiers from the start without having a mismatched ragtag of an army.

It's mostly to give a little more meaning to the world economy and to keep the player's funds in check.

I mean once you join a Kingdom and you start defeating enemy parties; you end up rolling in way too much gold. Just about trivializes the entire game, unless you're trying to play without Workshops/Caravans.

I concede it does have the possibility to become tedious. I would keep it pretty general i.e. you just need an appropriate weapon/armor for the the tier you're upgrading. I'm not suggesting you actually equip each individual exactly as their gear is described. Just if you want to upgrade 10x Recruits you'll need 10x Tier 1 Weapons/Armor. Something like that. So long as you keep a decent stock of gear it ideally shouldn't be a real hassle. Equipment doesn't even weigh that much compared to Food/other Trade goods.

IDK you already have to buy Food/Horses, so you're already managing that. Why not give an actual purpose to all the equipment in game? Especially battlefield spoils, which again pretty sure most players just mass sell since they are subpar quality.

Truthfully I agree they could drop the horse requirement without any real harm as well. I mean with the changes to Elite Troop availability it's pretty easy to get Calvary units for "horse free" now anyways.

In theory they will because it's mentioned in their Future Plans statement, tucked away in the "Other" section.
"Of course, we will also be working on maintaining, balancing and improving all of the existing singleplayer features and content. This is including further AI fixes and improvements, for sieges in particular, as well as, a continued effort to improve performance across the board. This extends to the polishing of any newly introduced content, such as War & Peace reasons, and balancing existing mechanics like Birth & Death rates, skill experience gains, and armour effectiveness."

Yeah needing horses for upgrades but not equipment is a little strange. However I don't think it would be fun to have to source all equipment for troops as well. I would have preferred that troops didn't need horses to level up at all and it was just a part of their upgrade cost. But, these things are ultimately pretty minor.
Yeah I've seen that. They aren't going to do diddly squat for Armor Effectiveness. They'll probably just add some more points to high end armors and call it a day. Which sadly is probably going to create new balance issues.

But that's the whole problem. You start getting Armor values in the 60-70s you become immune to low tier weapons, but only low tier weapons really. But eff me if I can tell the difference between a Body Armor rating of 10 vs 30. IDK the way armor protection scales is just not intuitive. Something like straight up percentage reductions would've been a lot better. Like this Leather cuirass reduces Slashing damage by 30%, Piercing damage by 10%, Blunt damage by 20%. Simple and everyone gets it.

Granted maybe they could convert it to just a straight proper percentage i.e 50 Armor reduces damage by 50%. But there's still the whole thing of weight which isn't really appropriate, too much gear that weighs too much protects too little or vice versa. Shields in particular are quite bad. You have like 7-8 kg shields that are smaller and have less hitpoints then other lighter, larger size, 4 kg shields. Makes no sense.

In my opinion the combat can't be called realistic. Getting one shot with an arrow while in full mail isn't particularly real. And in if you pay attention to the animations you'll realize they're worse than in holywood action movies, no questions asked.

In my opinion the combat can't be called realistic. Getting one shot with an arrow while in full mail isn't particularly real. And in if you pay attention to the animations you'll realize they're worse than in holywood action movies, no questions asked.
yeah combat is absolutely ****ed. the game is absolutely unplayable without a mod like RBM or Drastic battle, not to mention the AI...

Back
Top Bottom