SP - Battles & Sieges My formation suggestions: Improved troop control system.

Users who are viewing this thread

1. Groups in the formation.
I play with different troops of different factions. It’s not very convenient to appoint people in the 7th or 8th formation.
I suggest adding 4 groups to the formation.

Suppose we just started the game in party, we are alone , as soon as we buy recruits they fall into the Infantry formation in group 1.
As soon as we upgrade them to archers, they fall into the Archers formation in group 1.
We can also transfer infantry to archers, just take infantry from group 1 (all or a certain number of people) and transfer to the formation of archers in a group that is not occupied . Anyone can be transferred to such formations that are not used in the game: to the heavy infantry formation and light cavalry, etc. No matter whom and in which formation to transfer, everything is only at the discretion of the player.

This is how it will look in the party menu :
MMW4GJC.jpg
ba4b2AO.jpg
tmJTgev.jpg
added:at the end of each formation, the total number of people in 4 groups of this particular formation should be shown.
For example: in the spoiler “we only have infantry” there are only 6 recruits, so at the end of the Infantry formation the number 6 should be displayed.

During the battle, the groups will work like this: if you press, only 1 is allocated to all 4 groups and, accordingly, commands will work for all.
If you press 2 times 1, the group window will appear. Or another way to activate using 2 buttons, for example: Alt (any button near WASD that is not occupied) +1 (any formation) - Alt +1 - will show infantry groups.
After you press Alt + 1 or 2 times 1, the group windows will appear under the Infantry formation, after which you can press 1,2,3,4 and give commands separately for the groups.

For example, at the very beginning of the battle, you can press 1 and give the Shields Wall command to all groups, after which Alt +1 and select a group (1,2,3,4) and separately command which group where to go.
sBzzy2q.png
qVMYvEm.png

During the battle it will look like this:
dwqnq7p.jpg
OURPSo4.jpg
YcsGrZM.png
Developers need to move formations away from each other.
added: Developers need to move the formations apart so that 4 rectangles fit under them to display 3-digit numbers.
added from Tercero: Also, just wanted to add that in order for the interface not to crow too much the screen, you could cut the original formations symbols on the top-mid of your screen by half and then put the sub groups below.

I don’t know how the connection formation system works in version 1.4.1, but I pointed out an alternative to it in my way if it cannot work with groups.

Where will it be useful?
First of all, in battles and sieges, it will be more convenient to command large armies, and secondly, there will not be a lot of troops spam in the party menu.
92Tidg7.png
This will be the default behavior for bots if we give them the "Charge" command. Horse archers, cavalry, and side groups of infantry and archers will attack the enemy from the side, and groups of infantry and archers in the middle will attack the enemy in the middle.
Thus, instead of 1 point of contact of troops (as now), we will have several points of contact of troops, between which we can move and help our soldiers to break through the front.
V0FlHDx.png
AI will never be able to fight as chaotically as people in multiplayer, so in order for the battles to be more dynamic, you need to make more formations, in our case add groups to the formations. Remember the battle of people in the "Siege" mode in multiplayer, especially when the battle takes place on the only point G, what chaos occurs in the battle just like in "Battle of the bastards" from Game of Thrones, then remember the battle in singleplayer, where soldiers run straight each other and the battle is over in minutes.

I would like the developers to add both ways, so that everyone chooses how he likes.

Don't be afraid of the amount of text, it's easy to use, I explained in more detail how this works for developers.

2. You need to give the player a button to change weapons to the troops.
uqFMsgn.jpg

AI cannot change weapons to counter cavalry, when cavalry attacks them, they stand with swords. We need a button for the player to change weapons to troops. This is not only a problem for the Imperials, the sergeants of Vlandia also stand with swords. Maybe others have the same problem.

Please comment, your opinion is important to me, report errors in the text, if any. ask questions.

Last edited:
I like the idea of subgroups for the various troop types. This would enable far more complex strategies for players and possibly for the AI when the AI gets good enough to utilize it. I also hate how we have no way to say what weapons our troops use. I loved the mods in Warband that allowed you to command your troops to switch to blunt weapons, spears, or blades on command. We need that in Bannerlord.

Why not just more formations (should be groups??) and allow renaming and change of type for AI delegate? The current control is already too complicated to use when player is busy fighting on horse - too many key sequences (should be 2 at most) and the use of same keys for multiple purposes causes error easily; one mistake would ruin cavalry or horse archers.

Last edited:
Why not just more formations (should be groups??) and allow renaming and change of type for AI delegate? The current control is already too complicated to use when player is busy fighting on horse - too many key sequences (should be 2 at most) and the use of same keys for multiple purposes causes error easily; one mistake would ruin cavalry or horse archers.
In M & B during the battle uses only 3 keys F1, F3 and F4. In F1 I use only the Charge command, in F3 the Shield Wall (for infantry) and Loose (for archers) and F4 commands, I also use for archers. Is that all where it’s complicated? If you use unnecessary commands, this is your problem, not mine. In addition, I do not force you to use it, you can just press 1 and manage the entire formation, but I do not want to manage all, I want to break them into small groups, as it is in real troops.
You can continue to press 1 and control 200 infantry soldiers, but I want Alt +1 and manage 4 groups of 50 infantry soldiers so that I can build heavier tactics and use other commands (for example, retreat).

Last edited:
Perhaps - this will make management a little more cumbersome, but at the same time, it will allow the use of more advanced tactics in battle. I also like the option of changing weapons, this function is really lacking!

Perhaps - this will make management a little more cumbersome, but at the same time, it will allow the use of more advanced tactics in battle. I also like the option of changing weapons, this function is really lacking!
It does not take up too much space, developers need to move the formations apart so that 4 rectangles fit under them to display 3-digit numbers.

It does sound great, allowing tactis on your part. Meanwhile, while you position troops, AI charges head on.

Yes, when the perk is repaired to deploy the troops before the start of the battle (in tactics), it will be easy to destroy the enemy with 600 soldiers with the help of 300 soldiers.

OH yes, I remember my disappointment when i got, loaded into battle .... and nothing xD

using the avilable extra divisions is fine but it doesnt allow to eg :
- move all infantry to one place
- then while they move there you position your archers on another point,
- then back to your infantry you take your subgroups to deploy them on flanks,like having those with throwing weapons regrouped on the left side and elite close combat on the right side.
- then back to your archers (if you added spearmen to your archer division) you select the subgroup of pearmen and move them slightly on the front left , or two subgroups of spearmen, to protect the rear as well.

this wound be nearly impossible with just the default divisions.

btw : double tap is no good, too error prone. but 1 for infantry then alt-1 for subgroup 1, etc..., will be fine.

using the avilable extra divisions is fine but it doesnt allow to eg :
- move all infantry to one place
- then while they move there you position your archers on another point,
- then back to your infantry you take your subgroups to deploy them on flanks,like having those with throwing weapons regrouped on the left side and elite close combat on the right side.
- then back to your archers (if you added spearmen to your archer division) you select the subgroup of pearmen and move them slightly on the front left , or two subgroups of spearmen, to protect the rear as well.

this wound be nearly impossible with just the default divisions.

btw : double tap is no good, too error prone. but 1 for infantry then alt-1 for subgroup 1, etc..., will be fine.
Based on experience (250 hours), these are the two biggest problems in battles, in my opinion. It will be possible to move the infantry to one place, press 1 (as it is now in the game). The rest of the problems, I did not understand, please explain. I propose adding subgroups not only to the infantry, but also to others, even creating new formations, if you want. I know that there are problems with formations in the game, they also need to be solved, I offer only a more complex form of management and control.

You can simply transfer archers from the Archers formation to the Infantry formation and you will not need to switch between them. I wrote in the text:
We can also transfer infantry to archers, just take infantry from group 1 (all or a certain number of people) and transfer to the formation of archers in a group that is not occupied . Anyone can be transferred to such formations that are not used in the game: to the heavy infantry formation and light cavalry, etc. No matter whom and in which formation to transfer, everything is only at the discretion of the player.
The spoiler Alt +1 shows only infantry, because we pressed 1, if we press 2 there will be archers, if we press 3 there will be cavalry. And there are 12 groups in the screenshot instead of 4.

Last edited:
Based on experience (250 hours), these are the two biggest problems in battles, in my opinion. It will be possible to move the infantry to one place, press 1 (as it is now in the game). The rest of the problems, I did not understand, please explain. I propose adding subgroups not only to the infantry, but also to others, even creating new formations, if you want. I know that there are problems with formations in the game, they also need to be solved, I offer only a more complex form of management and control.

i speak from experience too, but it seems i didn't make my point, sorry.

i mostly agree with you, just not the double tap to select subgroups.

i was decribing an example of deployment using your feature, saying that with the current system, such moves would be nearly impossible, but easy with your proposed system. (as a reply to adq who suggested that the default custom divisions were enough)

Cheers

i speak from experience too, but it seems i didn't make my point, sorry.

i mostly agree with you, just not the double tap to select subgroups.

i was decribing an example of deployment using your feature, saying that with the current system, such moves would be nearly impossible, but easy with your proposed system. (as a reply to adq who suggested that the default custom divisions were enough)

Cheers
All now, I understand, I thought you described the problems of my system, but you talked about the benefits that are not possible in the current game system, right?

Last edited:
In M & B during the battle uses only 3 keys F1, F3 and F4. In F1 I use only the Charge command, in F3 the Shield Wall (for infantry) and Loose (for archers) and F4 commands, I also use for archers. Is that all where it’s complicated? If you use unnecessary commands, this is your problem, not mine. In addition, I do not force you to use it, you can just press 1 and manage the entire formation, but I do not want to manage all, I want to break them into small groups, as it is in real troops.
You can continue to press 1 and control 200 infantry soldiers, but I want Alt +1 and manage 4 groups of 50 infantry soldiers so that I can build heavier tactics and use other commands (for example, retreat).

Basically you want subgroups? In that case I agree subgroup would be very useful.

Well the suggestions for weapon use were plenty, even in the closed Beta, but i really think the option of subgroups of an archetype could be very usefull !
The thread has earned its place in Top Curated !

Just wanted to bump this, because I thought it was one of the best suggestions so far to improve control over formations.

Also, just wanted to add that in order for the interface not to crow too much the screen, you could cut the original formations symbols on the top-mid of your screen by half and then put the sub groups below.

Back
Top Bottom