OSP Fantasy 3D Art My first model (A Morning Star)

Users who are viewing this thread

Renon

Sergeant
So here it goes, my first submission to the M&B community. Although I will say this one is more for me than anyone, since it has a few problems(because I was lazy/sloppy).

It's a morning star inspired by one of my favorite fantasy weapons of my childhood, Baranar's Star from Diablo 2 and it comes in two designs.

Now, what are the problems? It's 17000 polygons, this combined with the 2048x2048 texture it may not be the best choice as a common weapon. Certain small parts of the texture don't blend as well, due to not have been UV Mapped. Last but not least the texture is very badly stretched in one place. Now with all that said, some of those problems are easily overlooked as they are mostly out of view and/or covered by a hand. Now onto the goods:

Gold tinted metal with red velvet grip(you'll notice the white spots near the top of grip, but I've fixed it as of late)
goldvelvet.jpg

Bronzish tint with wooden grip(same thing here, but again it is blended much better)
bronzewoodgrain2.jpg

Despite the set-backs, I hope you guys will find it to your liking. Especially you D2 fans out there :wink:.

I was going to say, "Not a bad model, for a first." Then I saw '17000 polygons' and '2048x2048'.

While the model itself is not bad, you have to work on optimization. All that weapon really need is 512x512 and even that's pushing. As for 17,000 polygons? I don't think an entire castle covers that.

Once you learn how to model more efficiently though, decent first, especially considering you modeled it, UV-mapped it and then put it in-game, which is a lot more than most.

Ya, I'm still chuckling at myself for submitting it, but hey how else are you gonna get Baranar's :smile:.  The original size was around 7000, but after the catastrophic no recent backup thingy... it jumped up a bit :grin:.  To be fair though, I've seen a few mods in the cartographers section with 11k poly weapons.  I do intend to start completely from scratch and ditch the taleworld spike ball(yes im guilty of that), and add a variant with the jewels.  That won't be for a while though, unfortunately.

Well, some good news here.  I found the backup which I thought I had lost(8k poly), so I may go ahead and re-UV it tomorrow.

@Rath0s I almost wish that damned thing didn't exist.

Renon said:
Well, some good news here.  I found the backup which I thought I had lost(8k poly), so I may go ahead and re-UV it tomorrow.

@Rath0s I almost wish that damned thing didn't exist.

:wink:

But, I really used it much when I did not like my model, but everything looks much better when a texture is applied. But after a while I got better at modeling and I keep most models under 1000polys, but if its a weapon that only 1 character will use, I generally go wild with the polys.  :mrgreen:

If you're so D2 savvy, we're going to form a team in a near future  :wink:

I'm new to modelling too, and I've already made (based on D2) a shortstaff, a scythe, a necromancer wand and a sketch of the Jade Tan Do kris (lacking the spikes on the hilt, but that's easy)

Well, my highest poly count is on the scythe, 660 polies. It isn't difficult to control the polies, just use smooth 2 times at max. I didn't use it for the scythe and it looks rounded enough.

Here:
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/2043/shortstaff.jpg
http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/826/scythe.jpg
http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/6529/kriss.jpg
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/7800/wands.jpg

A Diablo 2 modeling team.  Now that's something I would join, though I'm more of a texturer per se, I think I'm gonna get the hang of models.  Glad to see a fellow D2 enthusiast, despite how popular it was, I never saw a single Diablo 2 item in my time spent on the modding scene during my Oblivion craze.

And I never saw one here on M&B forums. If you're a good texturer, it's nice, because I'm not XD. UVmapping wasn't made for me. I'm gonna try a scepter now, perhaps it'll be good.

This is my concept of Baranar's Star and my model is one step closer to making it happen :smile:.
BaranarsStar.jpg

My favorite axe design ever.
brainhew.gif

Huge axe... awesome :smile:
executionersjustice.gif

The Hexfire
krintizskewer.gif

Scepter
grandscepter.gif
warscepter.gif

:shock: :twisted:
steeldriver.gif
maul.gif

You put the Grand Scepter and War Scepter and forgot the normal one that I just modelled:

It's difficult to see the blue gems but they're there, I forgot to change modes

Game original:

lol I didn't even notice your models.  Well what can I say, I feel like a robot from staying up 34 hours (half of which was spent modeling/texturing/configuring/that/damn/model).  Mmmm, excellent progress there, and I love that scepter you've made.

34 hours? I had college acception exams last weekend, and for almost 60 hours, I lingered awake. Coffee for the win.
Thanks for the compliment, but the **** is, I can model but I suck at texturing. Those textures there are image snapping, they can't go ingame.

EDIT: Going to model the Giant Axe, it's neat.

Well the Ranger's Apprentice Team is looking for more item people to help us with Version 3.00 (beginning development late January), if you would like a bit of direction for your modding then post here in our High Tower. In keeping on topic, that's an awesome sceptre! And some really nice models Renon, as well as the original morning star.

Well, I'm not going to skin the lighter version if no one asks for it.  So, If anyone actually wants it keep in mind it's still going to be 8k poly.

@Earl, I'm not sure if I'm the exact type of modder you are looking for.  At the moment I'm on a very selfish time schedule :wink:.  Most importantly, I'm a novice at modeling... I've had small experiences stretched over a large period of time.  I took my time with the mace.

Perhaps we should make a Diablo 2 thread?  I LOVE you everywhere for that axe, drooooooooooool.  By the way, you should make the handle longer I honestly think the weapon drawings are caricatures of what they are supposed to look like.

Well they look like caricatures, yes, mostly because of the textures. But also because they don't show as in the inventory, when equipped, they look more real on the character. (the war scepter for example shows as a hammer) A longer handle would make it strange, as one of the hands must go at the middle, not the two at the bottom. It's just setting the axe as a polearm.

Diablo 2 thread? Woot! But to what level it should go? Only items or a module?

Back
Top Bottom