My final verdict

Users who are viewing this thread

Well, I played PC games for many years developed by many different companies and I can tell you that player community is always toxic af.
I remember Blizzard forums (WoW, Diablo and others), Electronic Arts forums (SWTOR, FIFA, etc.), Turbine Inc. forums (LOTRO), SEGA forums (Total War series) and so on, and so on - they always were full of toxic unhappy kids who were complaining on game's balance, bugs, patches, lack of feedback and etc.
You simply can't make everyone happy. Even now, there are dozens of people complaining here and you can think that the game is a total crap seeing all these people but think of thousands of people who are playing this game and even didn't have a thought to write something here because they are fine.
And you can try to implement all bells and whistles people write on forums and waste tons of money and human resources to do it but still there will be people who are unhappy with all these changes. Because they paid 50$ for the game and think that now you must satisfy all their wishes without taking into consideration all other community. So, you must always search for some balance, otherwise your business will be just gone to the dogs.
I bet some giants like Blizzard or EA can just hire many people who are not so much dedicated to the game to read the forums with all that whining but that must be very frustrating for small indi studios who really tries to develop a good game to read such crap. Btw the giants often do release games with trash balance, full of bugs, etc. like SEGA often do with Total War series, and they can never fix it even though they can easily afford to spend some resources to do it. Unlike this, small studios often just can't spend more resources to make a game ideally good.
I love this game. May be because I didn't play Warband before, idk. Tbh, I bought it from Epic Games store with huge 75% discount and it was worth every penny I've spent. I remember my first huge battle 1000vs1000, loud heroic music was playing, my heart was beating like drums, my hands were shaking, I couldn't understand where are the foes and what to do... I played many games but never seen something like this before and paid a price of a cup of coffee for it. So, I would like to thank TaleWorlds for this experience. I wish you all the best and I believe you will make Bannerlord the best medieval game ever. I also would like to thank all altruist people who create mods, I'm really waiting myself for the Kingdoms of Arda to come. I understand that such huge and complex mod is a very bold challenge and I hope they will be able to finish it.
Thank you for your feedback. We need that too. Although most of the people here are not "toxic unhappy kids", but we are just adults that payed for a fully priced product, expecting the product purchase to work as intended, at least close to, and hopefully we are trying to make BL better by providing good feedback, and lashing out when needs to happen.

Thank you for your feedback. We need that too. Although most of the people here are not "toxic unhappy kids", but we are just adults that payed for a fully priced product, expecting the product purchase to work as intended, at least close to, and hopefully we are trying to make BL better by providing good feedback, and lashing out when needs to happen.
You are a sad little man.

I remember buying Yoshi's story for n64 in the 90s and being really really disappointed. It was the first time I was disappointed by a game and it's still the worst. I trusted Nintendo then. Yoshi's Island on snes was a 11/10 to me. I even loved the black sheep zelda 2 on nes. But ****, Yoshi Story was awful, easy, short and bad.

Well, I played PC games for many years developed by many different companies and I can tell you that player community is always toxic af.
I remember Blizzard forums (WoW, Diablo and others), Electronic Arts forums (SWTOR, FIFA, etc.), Turbine Inc. forums (LOTRO), SEGA forums (Total War series) and so on, and so on - they always were full of toxic unhappy kids who were complaining on game's balance, bugs, patches, lack of feedback and etc.
You simply can't make everyone happy. Even now, there are dozens of people complaining here and you can think that the game is a total crap seeing all of this but think of thousands of people who are playing this game and even didn't have a thought to write something here because they are fine.
And you can try to implement all bells and whistles players write on forums and waste tons of money and human resources to do it but still there will be those who are unhappy with all these changes. Because they paid 50$ for the game and think that now you must satisfy all their wishes without taking into consideration all other community. So, you must always search for some balance, otherwise your business will be just gone to the dogs.
I bet some giants like Blizzard or EA can just hire many employees who are not so much dedicated to the game to read the forums with all that whining but that must be very frustrating for small indi studios who really tries to develop a good game to read such crap. Btw the giants often do release games with trash balance, full of bugs, etc. like SEGA often do with Total War series, and they can never fix it even though they can easily afford to spend some resources to do it. Unlike this, small studios often just can't spend more resources to make a game ideally good.
I love this game. May be because I didn't play Warband before, idk. Tbh, I bought it from Epic Games store with huge 75% discount and it was worth every penny I've spent. I remember my first huge battle 1000vs1000, loud heroic music was playing, my heart was beating like drums, my hands were shaking, I couldn't understand where are the foes and what to do... I played many games but never seen something like this before and paid a price of a cup of coffee for it. So, I would like to thank TaleWorlds for this experience. I wish you all the best and I believe you will make Bannerlord the best medieval game ever. I also would like to thank all altruist people who create mods, I'm really waiting myself for the Kingdoms of Arda to come. I understand that such huge and complex mod is a very bold challenge and I hope they will be able to finish it.
This may be very true in general sense, but for Bannerlord, there is this fact that the current game is nowhere similar to the gameplay videos from several years ago in terms of graphics, AI, and features. Everything has been downgraded. So, people have valid reasons to complain.

If we are to give an example of a case of "you can't make everyone happy", it would be for example claiming that "item prices are high". Yes, this looks like a topic that at any time, there would be some players that they are unhappy with prices, but the case with Bannerlord is very different.

agreed tbh. the game is depressingly underwhelming. the only thing to look forward to is the "in the name of jerusalem" mod for this game. where they actually have proper proportions and overhauled armor system.

bannerlords is like an expansion for warband and the graphics and animations aren't even that much improved. the faces are still garbage. i haven't touched it in months. only the above mentioned mod even keeps the game installed on my pc

and bannerlords is so far still in early access? how much can they fix? the game looks finalized already. all the crappy armor and poorly animated clothing will need a year's worth of fixes alone, that's on top of the gameplay mechanics and issues themselves.

i mean just look at this. playtesters did not check if armor animation was properly done? what did they do all day, play sword fights with eachother and ignore all visual details? it reeks of bare minimum effort.

What do people think of this?

Is it a similar situation on here?
Just posting it here because I don't want to make a thread about it.
Unprofessional but understandable. They're still humans after all. Even the most professional people get tired from dealing with toxicity. The unprofessional part is quitting and making a public statement about it. If I were their PR staff and I was that pissed, I would just give meaningless corporate statements to the community every once in a while and nothing else.

What do people think of this?

Is it a similar situation on here?
Just posting it here because I don't want to make a thread about it.

Dear god no. This place is a damn convent compared to the PDX community.

> It costs you nothing to assume that we were acting in good faith.

Actually, it costs me money. If I assume PDX is "acting in good faith" (whatever the **** that means in this context) then I'm buying their products expecting a working and enjoyable product. If I assume that they're not, I don't buy their product, as I expect a buggy, unplayable mess. I wonder which of these we've seen more of recently.

Thankfully I had this realization before Leviathan, so I saved $20 and so far haven't even bothered going past 1.30.6

I wish I had this realization before Bannerlord so I could have saved the $40 there, but oh well.

Last edited:
i mean just look at this. playtesters did not check if armor animation was properly done? what did they do all day, play sword fights with eachother and ignore all visual details? it reeks of bare minimum effort.

Honestly, this kind of feedback is just irritating. It's such a meaningless non-issue but people blow it up just because they think they're smart for noticing it. In my years as a developer I've seen this attitude a lot. People will point out a button that's slightly off-center or a color that looks a little too bright just to "contribute" to the meeting.

Honestly, this kind of feedback is just irritating. It's such a meaningless non-issue but people blow it up just because they think they're smart for noticing it. In my years as a developer I've seen this attitude a lot. People will point out a button that's slightly off-center or a color that looks a little too bright just to "contribute" to the meeting.
Agreed on the "contribution" thing you mention. I'd hope for completeness's sake this is in the backlog somewhere, but I doubt it's anywhere even in the top 1000 issues to be dealt with.

Actually, it costs me money. If I assume PDX is "acting in good faith" (whatever the **** that means in this context) then I'm buying their products expecting a working and enjoyable product. If I assume that they're not, I don't buy their product, as I expect a buggy, unplayable mess. I wonder which of these we've seen more of recently.
Technically it's the act of buying it that's costing you money, not the assuming part. One leads to another for sure, but not necessarily. Paradox is a scummy company, but the devs and whoever is making those DLC decisions are not the same people. I believe that Archangel85 guy meant "good faith" on the devs, as people naturally want to do a good job (true), just unable to do so sometimes.

Technically it's the act of buying it that's costing you money, not the assuming part. One leads to another for sure, but not necessarily. Paradox is a scummy company, but the devs and whoever is making those DLC decisions are not the same people. I believe that Archangel85 guy meant "good faith" on the devs, as people naturally want to do a good job (true), just unable to do so sometimes.
I made the connection because in my case (being a big big fan of Paradox games), one *does* necessarily lead to another. If I have high confidence in Paradox, I'm buying whatever they put out. Your other point makes sense, however. It only seems to apply to the whole "toxicity" thing though and not to whether or not I should have enough confidence in Paradox to buy the product. Devs working in good faith means nothing for product quality if management and the C-suite isn't also working in good faith (which it's pretty clear they aren't if they approved a release in this state).

"(grimly) That's nothing. There are hundreds more serious issues in the code that we can't see here."

Back
Top Bottom