combat parameter changes: soon™
new gamemodes: soon™
fix to make siege stop crashing: soon™
class system rebalance: soon™
custom servers: soon™
new devblog: soon™
(unwanted) 2h crushthrough mechanics: soon™
whatever dumb feature armagan comes up with in the shower tomorrow: soon™

let me know if you guys agree with my predictions.

At least some good Infantry players are using it.
As a cav main, I do not even think about them when Im on the ground. As far as Im concerned, the stances are just the default way your character is positioned when moving to the left or right. Until there is a way to have a "left" stance while moving to the right, and the other way around, they might as well not exist. The only time stances make any difference is when you are standing still, and nobody should ever be standing still. Rather than talking about the advantages of stances you might as well be talking about the advantages of walking left or walking right.

As a cav main, I do not even think about them when Im on the ground. As far as Im concerned, the stances are just the default way your character is positioned when moving to the left or right. Until there is a way to have a "left" stance while moving to the right, and the other way around, they might as well not exist. The only time stances make any difference is when you are standing still, and nobody should ever be standing still. Rather than talking about the advantages of stances you might as well be talking about the advantages of walking left or walking right.
Well yeah, footwork changed by that in BL, just saying they are used.

Well yeah, footwork changed by that in BL, just saying they are used.
Everyone is using the stances without knowing them. But that doesn't mean they add anything value to the game.

We are talking about people using the stances really, actually having thought behind how they move. And i have see no one use this.

Everyone is using the stances without knowing them. But that doesn't mean they add anything value to the game.

We are talking about people using the stances really, actually having thought behind how they move. And i have see no one use this.

Well yeah. In order to actually knowingly be using stances you would have to force yourself to walk either left or right, even if that isnt something you should be doing in a certain direction. Mount&Blade is so dependent on footwork. Any mechanic which hinders your footwork for some other benefit will not be widely used because of the massive opportunity cost loss. As long as the stances are welded at the hip to the A and D keys this will never change. Callum is completely right in saying that in order for stances to be an actual mechanic they need to be bound to a different key.

Well yeah. In order to actually knowingly be using stances you would have to force yourself to walk either left or right, even if that isnt something you should be doing in a certain direction. Mount&Blade is so dependent on footwork. Any mechanic which hinders your footwork for some other benefit will not be widely used because of the massive opportunity cost loss. As long as the stances are welded at the hip to the A and D keys this will never change. Callum is completely right in saying that in order for stances to be an actual mechanic they need to be bound to a different key.
The thing is you could perfectly used the stance system with A/D keys if you are mentally deranged.

Assign the stance to other keys would make the movement very weird. Let's say you are strafing left using the right stance, it would look very off and unnatural as the character won't be moving his weight to the left as you would expect, but instead would move his weight to the right but strafe left.

The thing is you could perfectly used the stance system with A/D keys if you are mentally deranged.

Assign the stance to other keys would make the movement very weird. Let's say you are strafing left using the right stance, it would look very off and unnatural as the character won't be moving his weight to the left as you would expect, but instead would move his weight to the right but strafe left.
I was under the impression that all the stance actually did was change which foot/shoulder was in front and which was in the back. Changing stances while walking in a direction should be as simple as turning your characters hips visually. Basically like the Karaoke drills you would do for football or soccer.

I was under the impression that all the stance actually did was change which foot/shoulder was in front and which was in the back. Changing stances while walking in a direction should be as simple as turning your characters hips visually. Basically like the Kareoke drills you would do for football or soccer.
If you look at the voulgier while strafing you can notice it more noticeable afaik

imo, the stance system as it is now should be taken out. It could be much more interesting and implemented in a better way. For one, the stance system could actually be a stance system, for instance bound to X and doing things for various weapons like you can with Bastard swords going from 1h to 2h grips and such. For spears to choke up on them for better applications in tight quarters, or maybe to brace pikes and such for better Cav defense. Things like that would maybe add a little depth to combat and make things a bit more interesting.

"It's not that bad so we should keep it" This is the definition of a failed project. Features shouldn't be "not that bad", they should be good or very good. Whoever is satisfied with not that bad features or average content is a moron.

The only time stances make any difference is when you are standing still, and nobody should ever be standing still.

This is not true. Any time you press a or d while not attacking or blocking, you're changing stance. With the left foot forward, you do a different attack which then transitions into the right foot forward stance. It's most noticeable on an overhead attack.

So while running forward, you could press d to go into the left foot forward stance, launch an overhead which would then put you into left RIGHT foot forward stance.

Not sure what the purpose of the special attack animation is and why it switches your stance back, i'm guessing it's supposed to be a sort of power move?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom