My dissapointment grows. Game still feels barren.

Users who are viewing this thread

Yeah, all I mean is that they should have some hand-crafted stuff ontop of the currently generated stuff to add some extra pepper to the game. I guess they're sort of going for it with the main quest, but I hope some side-quest stuff gets added in too.

Agree on the overall sentiment. Heck and we're only comparing it with Vanilla Warband -you look at Warband mods/dlc like Viking Conquest or BannerPage - they are leagues better in terms of being plugged into a sandbox world THAT REACTS! Very disappointing that they would wait this far into development to really put some priority on this -all seems like an afterthought.

As far as random battle scenes -if they are not going that route than they should put more AI "brains" in the limited scenes they do use. Meaning lightly scripted AI leanings such as archers using an outcrop of rocks for cover etc..

In Viking Conquest I felt much more connected to the characters in game. This I can hardy tell the difference between a high tier elite unit and a looter in combat. Bannerlord has much better graphics, but it sucks in terms of immersion. TW is not listening either, gonna have to be major mod overhauls for me to ever play this again.

Was going to type this.
About the feasts, I don't know if they are going to be added, but think how difficult it is to balance them. Swadia being in the middle of the map had more wars that others factions cause borders, they would loose settlements and morale, making a vicious cicle of feasting to gain morale while losing fiefs because of fests.
that would probably be easy to balance, simply make it so kingdoms don't feast if they are currently loosing a war badly

also feasts would be hosted during marriages, marriages in term produces children, children become vassals, therefore feasts=vassals, I think that could possibly balance it out

in the end feasts are about the player getting to know lords and ladies, and thats important enough

>Lord personalities affecting their behaviour noticeably

+1 All the Ai acts the exact same, you don't see any difference in tactical behavior or strategic decisionmaking based on personality.

I honestly think the best way to address this lack of depth is to pivot to a procedural generated EVERYTHING.
They're not going to literally redo the entire game at this stage of dev, keep your expectations realistic. If they can't even do the absolute bare minimum thus far of even saying that they're planning to replace missing features from the last game in the series made 10 years ago, I doubt they're capable of making the entire game again from scratch.

It's easy to just say "procedural generation" but it would take more effort than everything in OP's list combined in order to make it work and make it look right. Otherwise you'd be walking into a procedurally generated town that you can't enter because it's on top of a 5000 foot cliff, for example. At this stage it's going to be a lot easier for them to finish the handcrafted town scenes they're already doing, than to build a system to procedurally generate them.

I knew that the game will be unfinished and unpolished for a while. I knew that it will take time for it to shape up. So I waited. And waited. And waited.
Yet still SO MANY features that gave Warband depth are missing.
>FESTS ... Feasts are STILL not implemented FFS!!!!!
>Full message log which didn't reset with every new conversation or event
>Books
>Sneaking into cities
>Village upgrades
>Pretenders
>Courtship: visiting, dedicating tournament victories to her, likes/dislikes, poems, quests to gain favour
>Dueling lords
>Bright red hair.
>Ability to zoom right to a location from the quest log.
>Shields on your back blocking arrow shots
>Handcrafted unique companions that interact
>Sending your companions to increase your right-to-rule
>Estimates of profit you will make from workshops
>Rescuing lords from captivity
>Special tournament armour and wooden tournament weapons (to prevent equipment cheese)
>Setting up a camp to wait
>Asking lords about the war, where other lords are, telling them to attack or defend an area, warning them of enemies approaching, etc.
>Wedding cutscene
>Working as a tax collector
>Lord personalities affecting their behaviour noticeably
>Rebinding and unbinding keys
>Holdable map speedup that you don't have to click to toggle
>Exporting\importing characters
>Follow option (was useful for caravans and single lords)
>Gender differences in character creation
>Greater food variety
>More battle scenes
>Greater variety in equipment between cultures
>Deserters and Manhunters on the map
>Troops wearing your banner emblem on their clothes, varied shield and clothing colours
OP, your list is partially outdated. Some of the stuff on there has already been added back in (like the follow option which is now in 1.5.4 beta), or has been confirmed by the devs that they will readd it (such as rescuing lords).
The updated list of Warband missing features that have still not been confirmed by the devs is here if you want it.

About the feasts, think how difficult it is to balance them. Swadia being in the middle of the map had more wars that others factions cause borders, they would loose settlements and morale, making a vicious cicle of feasting to gain morale while losing fiefs because of fests.
Easily fixed. Factions who are currently losing wars don't hold feasts until the war is over.

Last edited:
To what extent?

You can define rough, semi-passable and impassable terrain; choke points; hilltop and forward slope defensive positions. You actually have to do that, because the AI doesn't (AFAICT) understand how to read and exploit terrain otherwise. And it is 100% working in-game currently. If you go to one of the steppe maps, there is a giant boulder close to one of the spawn points that (if you have more ranged power than them) the AI will shelter behind/around rather than charge you or stand out in the open somewhere.

I miss the random scene generation ( based on location ). It really should be optional and yes i dislike most if not all the scene taleworlds have made, they lack the "historical" feel of brutality of feudal life.

I honestly think the best way to address this lack of depth is to pivot to a procedural generated EVERYTHING. Starting a new game procedural generates castles ( or the tech level of castles) layout, towns, lords, ladies, troop load out, everything. Of course proper procedural generation has good assets and seeds with a firm rule set. It wont be balanced the way taleworlds is hoping for but it will have huge depth and replay ability! Also the concept of balance is antithetical to reality, reality isn't balanced. There also a huge missed opportunity for logistics and management of armies as well, caravans, patrols, scouts.

No thank you. I'm so done with these procedural ****fests of games. There is no quality in it at all. Unlike you I like handcrafted and meaningfull stuff not a random coctail of a seed that can make absolutely no sence at all. The balance will be totally off in every playthrough.

>There's no such thing as right to rule.
Yes there is. ALL kingship stems from divintiy. (This certainly involved sending out priest, musicians, etc to spread the righteousness of ones deeds.) In laymens terms, you can view the 'right to rule' as having supporters. You cant take a throne -AND KEEP YOUR LIFE- if your subjects dont acknowledge 'your right to rule'. Even Alexander the Great fell to the blade of an assassin. In any case, since all kingship stems from religion. Only someone viewed as god's (or whatever diety) chosen may sit the throne.

As to the gaming aspect... im under the influence its little things like such that made the game so unique. If you dont care for the role play style that made the first game a success than there is other titles out their perfectly suited for you.

No thank you. I'm so done with these procedural ****fests of games. There is no quality in it at all. Unlike you I like handcrafted and meaningfull stuff not a random coctail of a seed that can make absolutely no sence at all. The balance will be totally off in every playthrough.
Warband be like oh you started a battle on a hill now your on a mountain taller then Mount Everest

Yes there is. ALL kingship stems from divintiy. (This certainly involved sending out priest, musicians, etc to spread the righteousness of ones deeds.) In laymens terms, you can view the 'right to rule' as having supporters. You cant take a throne -AND KEEP YOUR LIFE- if your subjects dont acknowledge 'your right to rule'. Even Alexander the Great fell to the blade of an assassin. In any case, since all kingship stems from religion. Only someone viewed as god's (or whatever diety) chosen may sit the throne.
What is needed is legitimacy, it's not so much "supporters" than "people who recognize you have a valid claim". Religion was a mean to get this legitimacy, but neither the only one nor a required one (the most common one is simply military power, in fact).
I don't think everything being procedural would be ideal, but battle map certainly is a must. There are hundred of battles in each game, no way TW can produce enough map to not feel the repetition rather quickly.
On top of that, there is an immersive quality in knowing that each map you play is unique and entirely dependent on where you happen to be, instead of being a random selection of pre-existing maps.

What is needed is legitimacy, it's not so much "supporters" than "people who recognize you have a valid claim". Religion was a mean to get this legitimacy, but neither the only one nor a required one (the most common one is simply military power, in fact).
As CGP Grey says, bigger army diplomacy wins. In all honesty, the other factors would be nice, but having a big stick is really what matters at the end of the day.
As for OPs overall sentiment keep in mind when early access is done they will likely have a huge amount more to do, and if they don’t and modding Tools are fully released, the community will provide.

They are talking about the specific Warband game mechanic, called Right to Rule. It was just a stat you built up. And Alexander probably wasn't assassinated but the one (dubious) claim we have regarding his assassination was poison by his (Macedonian Greek) cupbearer, not to a blade.

As to the gaming aspect... im under the influence its little things like such that made the game so unique. If you dont care for the role play style that made the first game a success than there is other titles out their perfectly suited for you.

You could beat Warband -- easily -- without gaining RtR.

Was going to type this.
About the feasts, I don't know if they are going to be added, but think how difficult it is to balance them. Swadia being in the middle of the map had more wars that others factions cause borders, they would loose settlements and morale, making a vicious cicle of feasting to gain morale while losing fiefs because of fests.

Feasts gather lords for easy access instead of map hunting, add options/events for socializing and getting quests and wooing ladies, ad atmosphere and make sense.

Still not having feasts is one of the biggest crimes the devs made. An unadvantegeous geographical location has no bearing on existence of feasts. It's not like Lords would be attending feasts with their entire armies - they would bring a personal retinue with them, and leave those to defend. And it's not like lords don't have retainers and second in command that can take up the defense while they are away.

basically:
1. feast is called
2. lord returns to his castle to leave troops, keeps elite retinue
2a (optional). his troops are formed into an army without a lord leader that patrols, and return to the castle when the feast ends
3. goes to feast
4. if strong enemy attack, feast is cancelled

Basically, no excuse. There's plenty of ways to deal with it.

Procedural generation of levels is in tonnes of modern games, you just don't notice it when it's done well, same as how most open world AAA games are "handcrafted" to some extent but look like they were made by robots or have a lot of boring repetition.

Back
Top Bottom