My consistent gripe - Lord behavior

Users who are viewing this thread

bearmans

Recruit
I bought into EA at release and I have played about 15 campaigns of decent length at this point, and I decided I finally wanted to bring this up. While many things have improved in my eyes since release, and I really enjoy the moment to moment gameplay, this is the aspect of the game that consistently puts me off from actually trying to "complete/win" a given playthrough rather than just start over.

There are a lot of things that just don't work well with the kingdom policy/diplomacy/relation systems right now, but the thing I find most consistently off-putting is that lords do not- and never seem to- behave like a real "lord" might. Every lord's interests are purely arithmetic and cold-calculated. Lords don't develop interesting relations, or really any relations at all, with you or others. What "relation" there is doesn't really even seem to do much of anything- you can have 100 relation with every lord in your kingdom, and it doesn't seem to make them more likely to help or support you or your proposed decisions. You can have 100 relation with every enemy lord and odds are good that still none of them will consider joining your kingdom or letting you walk away from battle without enormous concessions.

To me, this would all be fine if this was how "calculating" lords behaved, but this is all of them. There's no "romance" or "intrigue" in the game's statecraft, not whatsoever. It's all just "can you make this worthwhile for me and my clan, exactly as worthwhile as it needs to be, and not a denar less".

I think the game would benefit enormously from lords that behaved a little more as if they had any passion or ambition. This doesn't even need to be as complex as it sounds- it could be as simple as changing the way that lords reward and punish relations based on their characteristics (loyal/daring/deceitful/etc) and changing how much impact that relation has. For example, "loyal" lords would gain relation with you very slowly and lose a lot of relation with you for attacking or opposing their close friends. Deceitful lords would have their relations swing quickly in either direction over even minor things, and quickly betray those they dislike. These are just off the cuff examples, but you get the idea.

In general I also think that it needs to be possible to have more "meaningful" relations with lords, where friends could be willing to come to your aid unbidden/loan you money/support your policies or something like those based on high relation. And it definitely needs to be harder to gain relation and easier to lose more of it, particularly where fief awards or policy decisions are concerned.

Anyway, that's all I wanted to put out there for now, because I'm not sure that this is getting as much attention as (imo) it deserves. The late game just isn't that interesting if lords and ladies aren't. Until then, the best and indeed perhaps the only way to end the game is going to be chopping heads until nobody is left to oppose you.

They are not even smart enough to retreat into their own castles when outmatched. Unique behaviors based on trait and relationship? Too complicated.

They are not even smart enough to retreat into their own castles when outmatched. Unique behaviors based on trait and relationship? Too complicated.
This is something that has been looked at -> LINK
Hopefully we will see the improvement in next patch (1.6.1?)

Sorry again for tagging you @mexxico
Considering the existing constraints, is it planned to include the traits and relation values in campaign calculations?
I think I could read somewhere that enemy lords will be less likely to raid you villages if you have good relations with them.

Last edited:
Bumping this thread because I just watched a @Strat Gaming video that demonstrated that even with 100 relation with a clan, all it does is make defecting to your faction 5% cheaper.

This is a core game mechanic and it doesn't do anything.

They have made it so basic its boring. If a lord as low relationship its cost more influence too put them in your army that's it if they have high relationship, they cost less. The Relationship effect seems is that the text changes when you talk to them but it as no impact on the out come. wish things were better. Hope mods improve the games systems and make them carry more meaning .

I feel like if I have 100 relations with a clan (something that takes a lot of game time to accomplish) and they worship the ground I walk on, it shouldn't be a matter of a 5% discount on hiring them. It should be 90%.

@Dejan can I please ask if we're ever going to see numerical tweaks to the importance of relations in the defection calculation?

Bumping this thread because I just watched a @Strat Gaming video that demonstrated that even with 100 relation with a clan, all it does is make defecting to your faction 5% cheaper.

This is a core game mechanic and it doesn't do anything.
I would agree with that - It seems a bit underwhelming. Maybe they could leave the 5% alone but once you hit 100 it would be a no-chat-check defection to your side? It might also make sense to implement a relation decay over time if they add something like this so you don't raise relations all game to sandbag for later lol instantly convert the world.

Nahh, the price of clans are fine. It is basically the only expense you have after the very early game, if it wasnt a thing money would be a completely useless resource.

Though, it is pretty silly that they can defect with a high relationship.

Nahh, the price of clans are fine. It is basically the only expense you have after the very early game, if it wasnt a thing money would be a completely useless resource.

Though, it is pretty silly that they can defect with a high relationship.
Yeah I agree, I think 5% is fine but there could be something else of benefit. I would love to see higher relation clans have options open up like giving them direct orders "defend this town" or "patrol this area" etc. That would make relations extremely important for a king who doesn't want their vassals to act like the typical AI does currently lol

Yeah I agree, I think 5% is fine but there could be something else of benefit. I would love to see higher relation clans have options open up like giving them direct orders "defend this town" or "patrol this area" etc. That would make relations extremely important for a king who doesn't want their vassals to act like the typical AI does currently lol
Two things

1) You are highly likely to have max relationship with all your vassals anyway, regardless of whether or not its important. So, it wouldnt fundamentally change anything.

2) At 100 relationship you do get a 50% influence discount when forming armies. This is very useful, particularly, for a blitzkrieg stile war.

It would be fine with more options to direct your vassals, but I dont really see a need to lock it behind a relationship wall. It made more sense in warband when you wanted to direct other vassals/your peers.

Back
Top Bottom