My concerns about the approach of TW to feature additions and their prioritisations

Users who are viewing this thread

Okay so I can already make a list of negative comments and personal attacks just because I see things in a different way:

I’m joking
Taking some new drug
Working for TW, part of some conspiracy maybe…
Disingenuous
Willfully ignorant of reality
Ability to not notice some glaring flaws
Being purposely contrarian

And the list will be longer after a few days…

Don’t you think that you are just over-dramatizing the current state of the game and its development?
I think you are trying to aggravate the community with civil positivity. It's top trolling and I intend to learn this from you.

Its not that you are just "seeing things in a different way". Its the fact that what you are saying is demonstrably inaccurate regarding communications from TW. But keep trying to play the victim card.

And no. The state of the game is abysmal after a year in EA, and completely failed to meet community expectations.
Who is playing the victim card here, I'm wondering...
All I do is pointing out how good are some people to criticize faster than their thoughts... without taking time to reconsider themselves... without even considering the consequences of their comments.

Do you guys also think that if they wouldn't have attempted to create a dynamic world they would've been much further into development? It seems so over complicated having so many different variables and calculations all behind the scene whom majority of players won't notice. Not to mention, the development of the game would of followed a more known and tested path if it were static. (ie easier to make)
You and me are completely on the same page 100% as I have said the same thing. I applaud what they attempted to do but I personally feel they need to scrap many of the more complicated things that aren't working and don't appear like they would ever be working.

For example, items available for purchase at a vendor. Instead of tying this into production and prosperity, just compile a list of items and have those items randomly spawn in the shops. You could even get a big fancy and have the higher end items chances of showing up be tied to town prosperity but by creating a simple list you don't have to rely on a complex formula coming up with some output based on production, prosperity and value. You can also control the pricing so that Javelins never cost more than 2000 Denars and never sell for more than 200. You also have top tier equipment and weapons showing up on day one with controlled pricing.

Then with just this change, you now also have the looting situation fixed because you can have a defeated enemy dropping a Lordly Helm because you can again control the pricing and keep it form ever costing more than 20k Denars and selling for 2k Denars.

You also have trade balanced because you can specifically seed trade goods around the map in control quantities and pricing again based off a simple list rather than a complex production, prosperity and value formula.

Which also mean you can control workshop income more easily because its no longer based on supply and demand, inputs and outputs but rather income based on town prosperity, the number of caravans entering and leaving, etc.

Oh and it make balancing player income more predictable which in turn makes the all other player income sources easier to balance such as caravan income, taxes, etc.

Which also fixes smithing since it would prevent you smiting easy to make items and selling them for 100k each, since values are just based on a list not a complex production, prosperity, value formula.

Plus it would be A LOT easier for modders to actually change economic factors to achieve a desired result without a complex, production, prosperity, value formula that will likely break the second anyone changes even the slightest values, if the Taleworlds devs can get it balanced right in the first place.

Honestly I just can't imagine how much time and effort has been spent on the complex systems involving production, prosperity and value when simple, back to basics, behind the scenes, lists could fix some many things and to be blunt and honest, they could probably scrap the entire system and add these basic lists into the game inside of a month.

1. Multiplayer was dead on arrival, after TW had been told it would be for the entirety of the alpha and beta. Our concerns and suggestions to improve it were straight up ignored or dismissed, and now we have far more people playing Warband MP than Bannerlord MP.
  2. Singleplayer is basically Warband looking slightly better, a few new features, and a bunch of features missing. None of the essential improvements made to Warband by mods (like Diplomacy or Freelancer) have made it into the game, and TW is utterly silent on whether they'll be included. But hey, board game improvements!
  3. TW has systematically refused to publish their plans for the game. No-one in the community has any idea at what point TW actually considers the game to be done. Sure, they'll post some vague outlines of what they'll be trying to implement in the next month or two, but they've never everlisted "this will be in the final game. This will not be. This might make it", etc.
    • At best, this means TW is paranoid of sharing their plans, in fear of... community backlash I guess? Which they've already been getting the full brunt of for a year and a half, so that's kind of moot.
    • At worst, this means TW themselves don't even have a lock on a set of features for 1.0, and the priority of those features. This is amazingly awful project management on so many levels, and would also explain why it's taken 9 years to Bannerlord to be as mediocre as it is now.
  4. AI is slightly improved in some areas, and is somehow even more brain dead in other areas. How a game that's been in development for 9 years manages to not even equal the AI of a 14 year old game in areas is beyond me.
So yeah, I'm negative. And like I said, I'm sure we'll have something pretty good in a few years. But the fact that it's taking years more to get there, and that TW's priorities while getting there are asinine, makes me think Bannerlord is a failed product.
Agreed in all, and about the multiplayer indeed the community is trying to give feedback since closed alpha and it's mostly being ignored.

They have their vision completely out of touch with the community that loves their previous game and not seem to convice them otherwise.

It looks like they want to attract casual cod players or become the next moba or something like, M&B is a medieval meele game, it's a niche by it's definition and should play to it's strengths rather than trying to become another thing.

It won't attract casuals for long and managed to piss their fanbase completely.

Everytime i try to play a bannerlord multiplayer match first i have to wait tons of time just to find a match, then have to play with the impopular design choices and then get kicked from the match when it ends and have to start all again.

Honestly after the last time i tried i just went back to warband's multiplayer, joined a match in one of my favorite serves and had tons and tons of silly fun, i could play that for hours if i have the time.

The only thing better in bannerlord's multiplayer is captain mode, graphics and those cool voice lines in that order, everything else is much better in warband and that's a 10+ year old game, the worst of all is that this could have been completely avoided if they listened to their community's feedback.

You and me are completely on the same page 100% as I have said the same thing. I applaud what they attempted to do but I personally feel they need to scrap many of the more complicated things that aren't working and don't appear like they would ever be working.

For example, items available for purchase at a vendor. Instead of tying this into production and prosperity, just compile a list of items and have those items randomly spawn in the shops. You could even get a big fancy and have the higher end items chances of showing up be tied to town prosperity but by creating a simple list you don't have to rely on a complex formula coming up with some output based on production, prosperity and value. You can also control the pricing so that Javelins never cost more than 2000 Denars and never sell for more than 200. You also have top tier equipment and weapons showing up on day one with controlled pricing.
That's exactly what I was thinking since going through the Warband economy model and seeing how it was all unnecessarily complex and prone to fail. Someone in TW (Steve?) thought they would get this "realistic" model going and that it would be great for the discerning player to affect the economy in subtle ways and see its effects. Nobody asked for that and it's purely engineering vanity to attempt it. And it failed judging by all the arbitrary cludges they needed to put because the model spun out of control in certain boundary conditions and needed artificial stabilization.
A simple, easily understood model would have been so much better. Apparently they learned nothing from the Warband fiasco and only doubled down in Bannerlord. I think they need new game designers who care more about players having fun than their own obsessions.

I really think they feel they are much more of experts in these areas than they are. Instead of mastering some things they can't even get to decent in any

Back
Top Bottom