My companion died!?

Users who are viewing this thread

It's strange... I lost 6 out 7 companions in 1 fight then after reload they all stayed alive for more fights xD
I heard it's a kill count that triggers permadeath but 6 reaching it all at same time? They were recruited with some space between them and I tweaked the party and replaced some members along the way.

The only way I resuscitated my companions was using a prior save.
They died in future battles with kings, but they all seem to have made it back.
I found that if I camped and waited, they would appear.
If I kept going and rested in towns, they would not report back.

It took me 36 game days of running the game in camp to get 4 of my five companions back. I ran it for another 40 days (76 in all) and my 5th dead companion (Ultan) never returned . Just camping, doing absolutely nothing else at all. I saved the game then just let it run to see what would happen. If you do anything else then they just don't seem to come back.

I believe that if you import a companion it simply changes that companions stats, so if they are 'dead' then they remain 'dead' but with different stats (And will come back if you camp for long enough).

I am absolutely certain that the 'kill count' idea (that they die after a certain amount of KOs) is incorrect. I have had companions die in battle, restarted the same battle from a save and then had the companion KO'd without dying. By all accurate accounts it is a matter of how much damage they take below 0 hit points. More armor reduces the amount of damage in any single hit so if your companions are well armored then they very rarely take enough damage to kill them: Kings and lords doing critical damage to a companions head (especially with a 2 handed axe) are very likely to kill them, getting KO'd by mid level enemy troops should never kill your companions if they are well armored. Equipping your companions with a good helm from the renowned armorers is the best way to prevent this.

gdwitt said:
Maybe you can research work with this tool: http://www.moddb.com/games/mount-blade-warband/downloads/mount-blade-savegame-editor-converter
You can access your heroes (or at least their native correlates) and maybe assign them to your faction or provide them bonuses.
I don't know any better solution other than save your game regularly and keep a separate folder for older save games.
This behavior is somewhat random and that's what savegames are for.
What do you do when your game file autosaves and can't quit without saving?

gdwitt said:
I don't understand the question.
The autosaves go in the same place as saves.
Mydocuments/Mount&Blade Warband Savegames
I can't reload a save to the point before my companions are dead.

Backup the save you have, then try to use the save-editor to fiddle with the flags for those companions (look up their troops id in the text files probably). You can maybe set it to be like you've never met them, or as if their currently on a right-to-rule mission, or something. Can't give more specific advice than that I'm afraid.

Edit: Ok, make a save backup, load your save into the editor and open the party records section, then find the nearest city and note down its number.  Then open the troops section and find the companion that's missing. open slots and set current occupation to 0 and courtship status to 0. The find current city and put in the number noted earlier (without the # symbol). Load the save and see if they're in the tavern of that city.

This worked for me in viking conquest, so might work here.

Shaedo said:
Companions can die in Brytenwalda 1.41, it is just a very rare occurrence

In my current game I have 3 'dead' companions. On the mission report they are 'Attempting to rejoin party, (whereabouts unknown.)'

I'd love someone to confirm if they show up in Camp at some point... (please no more cries of 'it's a bug' or 'they can't die')

A large bump here, but im having the same issues in my own mod AWoIaF which was built from Brytenwalda.

Anyone with the flag tf_hero as far as im aware should be impossible to kill. Thats why killing lords, who also have this flag has to be dealt with in a special dialogue giving them the flag slto_dead.

If anyone has any more info on this then please share so i can try and get to the bottom of this.

It would be interesting to know if this is an occurrence in VC too.

I know this topic is old, but the problem still exists and there are still peoples like me playing something like brytenwalda and when u search on google u find this here.

I think i figured out that u need to go into the Reports Menue and than go to the menue companion mission reports. After that it seems that all your companions come back after a few days, u dont need really to rest, there are coming back just like u send them out to do something.
I got all my Companions back now after a few days and i lost all my 8 , the first of them months of gameplay before (Thought there are death ) but ended up with zero, which makes it really hard, because u have no bonusses for medical, tactics, party speed and so on. But after i clicked every day into the companions menue, all the companions returned after a few days, still the old that i lost months of gameplay before.

Maybe someone playing some of the mods with that problem too and it helps them out :smile:

I know there's a thread for this on Viking Conquest that's more useful.
It seems to happen in large battles with enemy Lords.
If you can't get a save game, you need to download and use Mount and Blade Save Game editor
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=295270.0

It's a bit tricky, but find the slot for npc1 or npc2 and you'll see the list of all 19 companions.
Depending on the mod they'll have different names, but some of them will be in the above pattern.
Change their slot numbers load and see what happens.
The longest I've seen them come back without this is about 4 months of game time.

Domgordo said:
I know this topic is old, but the problem still exists and there are still peoples like me playing something like brytenwalda and when u search on google u find this here.

I think i figured out that u need to go into the Reports Menue and than go to the menue companion mission reports. After that it seems that all your companions come back after a few days, u dont need really to rest, there are coming back just like u send them out to do something.
I got all my Companions back now after a few days and i lost all my 8 , the first of them months of gameplay before (Thought there are death ) but ended up with zero, which makes it really hard, because u have no bonusses for medical, tactics, party speed and so on. But after i clicked every day into the companions menue, all the companions returned after a few days, still the old that i lost months of gameplay before.

Maybe someone playing some of the mods with that problem too and it helps them out :smile:

I was having this problem, and this solution fixed it for me. thanks.

Back
Top Bottom