My beginner's guide

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello guys,

I wanna start saying that i've struggled alot with the version 0.8 of Perisno. I've had my face punched a thousand times by everyone and everything in the game. So, after many and many hours figuring out the mod, i finally came out with a good strategy that makes a lot of coins, hence making the beginning easier for new players.

Before i begin the guide, i want to say a few things:
First of all, OH MY GOD this mod is awesome.. i cant say thank you enough to the mods and developers of this incredible mod ( especially ver 0.8 ), it is by far the best mod i've ever played for warband.
Second: English isnt my first language guys, so please take it easy on me  :mrgreen:

Now, the guide:

Character Creation

To have an "easy" start, you will want to have the max points in Intelligence and Charisma as possible. With that said, i've created a guide for Male Humans (classic start) that gives you a good amount of Int and Char, as well as a decent amount of starting gold.

I had pictures to show everything i did, but i just realized that im not allowed to post then (my account isnt old enough), so i'll just try to explain as best as i can how to do it.
In the character creation you'll have a few options, and we're going to skip the first two ones, because as i said, im doing a Human Male (Classic Start) guide.

"My Father was..."
I've chose the option Religious Zealot because it increases your INT and CHAR a lot, and it also gives you LEADERSHIP and PERSUASION.

Growing up i liked...
Reading, why? Because it increases your INT and CHAR

As an adult, i became...
I've chose the A Squire option, because it increases your Riding skills, your INT and CHAR, and gives you a lil bit of gold, which we'll need in the very beginning.
But you can also choose SPY or PHYSICIAN. Bear in mind that if you choose a Spy, you'll have like 9 in Persuasion, which is absolutely fantastic (since they've changed the skill Persuasion).

I am adventuring...
Because i lost a loved one, just because it gives you that 2 extra CHAR

Now, if you followed all the previous steps, you should have your stats just like this:
1350 Gold
9 STR
5 AGI
9 INT
16 CHAR
4 Attribute points to spend, and 9 skill points to spend.

Now, you're free to spend all your points as you like, but i'll give a few tips:

If you're to put them all in INT you'll receive 4 extra skill points, leaving you with 13 points to spend. RECOMMENDED

Skill Points:

This is how i've distributed my points:
3 Points in Prisoner Management (We'll be getting a lot of prisoners)
3 Points in Path-Finding (extremelly useful in Perisno)
4 Points in Trainer (To train our troops as fast as we can)
1 Point in Looting (Just to increase our profits a lil bit)
1 Point in Power Strike
1 Point in Ironflesh

Beginning of a new life

Now that you've created your character, its time to choose where you'll start. I recommend you to start in the Hakkon empire, just because its the nearest starting point to our destination (Mercenary Guild). If you start in the Hakkon empire, go straight to the Mercenary guild. Now, if you've made it to the Mercenary Guild, go straight into the castle, and in the 3rd floor you should find a guy named Ingvar that'll explain you what is that place and etc. After the dialogue, you'll be able to recruit the mercenaries. With our 1350 starting coins, you should be able to hire between 20~25 soldiers(dont hire more than that, just to save a lil bit for the weekly wages).

Now, after you've hired your soldiers you'll have 20~25 "Hired Recruits" in your party. Now, let me briefly explain to you why this soldiers are so good. You can equip them exactly the way you want.. the armors that you want, the helmets that you want, if you want them to use a bow you can make it, a spear? no problem. 2H axe? Amazing!

Now you should mess around with the as i call "Editor". Just select the Hired Recruits, select the option "Talk" and select the option "Let me change your equipment" (or something similar to that).

Now, in this new screen you'll probably think that the amount of money for each equipment is absurd, and you'll never be able to afford it. Well, thats another AMAZING thing about the Mercenary Guild troops..  you dont pay for their equipment.. the way it works is that the higher the cost of the equipment, the higher the troop weekly wage will be. So, DONT BE GREEDY!

You should start with a balanced good "Medium Armor", a good helmet, decent glove and some footwear and one of the two available horses.

Now, you'll choose a GOOD Shield, and selec the "1 Handed Mace Weapons" and choose the best BLUNT weapon in that page. (if you dont know, Blunt weapons have a lil B after the damage. example: 36B [B stands for Blunt, C for Cutting, P for Piercing those are the ones i remember]).

Now you're probably going to ask me: -"Why are we choosing maces with Blunt damage?".

First because apparently Blunt damage is EXTREMELY overpowered in the Perisno MOD. And second because it allows you to not kill your enemies, and just knock them unconscious, allowing you to get them as prisoners and later on selling them for HUGEs amounts of coins.

Now, after messing around with your Hired Recruits, check their Weekly Wage. Ideally it should be betweeen 7~9. If its higher, downgrade some of the equipments that you've chose. If its lower, just upgrade your troops a lil bit more.

Farming coins

Now that you have your 20~25 soldiers, all equiped with Blunt weapons its time to farm some easy coins. There are 2 amazing spots to do so in the beginning of the game, the first is North of Tumatarhun (in that forest) where you'll find goods amounts of Saccar Raiders, that give extremely good loot, and they sell for a good amount of money as prisoners.

The other spot is in the Reich des Drachen's land. There you'll find a lot of Snow Walkers, which are extremely easy to kill. But be aware that in the same area you'll find a lot of troops that'll murder you if you're not careful enough (ex.: Wolf Knights, Illika troops, Knights of the Order and so on and so forth). Just be careful.

You should be able to farm huges amounts of gold this way.. im talking about 10k in absolutely no time. Just remember to level up you troops, and always equip them with blunt weapons. With the extra gold, you'll do the following:

Find a city, any city. Enter the tavern, talk to the bartender and say that you want to buy everyone ale. It'll cost you 1000 coints, but'll give you 1+ rep with the city, allowing you to buy enterprises there.

90% of the times you should buy the weavery enterprise.. the one that costs 4500. They're veeery veery good right now, giving you 1300~1800 coins a week ( they only cost 4500, so you should get your money back in 3~5 weeks ).

Thats it guys.. just keep doing this, and after you're quite strong you can Farm some coins killing Valheree Riders in the Maccavian territory and just keep doing it until you're rich enough to start your own Kingdom.

p.s: I had pictures and stuff to make this guid as complete as possibile, im just not allowed to post them. So, im really really sorry about that. Also sorry about my english, i just hope i can help those who're struggling like i did.

Thanks.

Honestly, I find making a combat character a lot more fun game wise but this a solid overall guide for most stuff keep in mind the more troops you have the more prisoners you can keep, so an army of 200 or so hired blunt damage dealers means about 300-400 prisoners with a solid prisoner management skill. This sort of setup will probably wind up getting you killed against lord armies and such, but acting like a bandit hunter army sounds fun

Pyyrhus said:
Honestly, I find making a combat character a lot more fun game wise but this a solid overall guide for most stuff keep in mind the more troops you have the more prisoners you can keep, so an army of 200 or so hired blunt damage dealers means about 300-400 prisoners with a solid prisoner management skill. This sort of setup will probably wind up getting you killed against lord armies and such, but acting like a bandit hunter army sounds fun

Actually since blunt weapons are kinda overpowered right now, i can basically steamroll most of the vassals of some factions like the bakhal Giants (the SUT ones have the SUT chieftain, they're a super powerful cavalry unit), i never lost a 1:1 battle against Tolrania vassals using just Hired Cavalry and Hired Knights with just shields and blunt weapons.. But thats about it.. the other factions will annihilate your troops.. but this party model is supposed to help you make money.. ofc you're not going to siege a castle nor attack a faction using this kind of troops  :eek: :eek:

Fun fact: I fought a Tolrania vassal that had 141 troops, and i managed to absolutely destroy their army with only 70 Hired cavalry and 27 Hired Knights, using only blunt weapons. I lost only a couple of troops (i think i had like 23 casualties) and got 100+ prisoners out of that battle.
I ended up selling all those prisoners for about 33k!

I'm just going to agree that blunt weapons are the real deal in this mod. So made units have heavy armor that blunt is more useful than some of the legendary weapons. There's a bastard hammer that does "bonus to shields" and "crush through block" and +40b.... gave it to arcanus. He leave like 20 knocked out enemies every battle.

I've been training dwarven troops, their 3rd tier melee units come equipped with hammers and a really decent 1H Proficiency. Is this more economical than using the Mercs?

kuudou said:
I've been training dwarven troops, their 3rd tier melee units come equipped with hammers and a really decent 1H Proficiency. Is this more economical than using the Mercs?

I'd say that the dwarven troop wages are lower than the mercs, but the mercs are such a versatile troop in the game, that makes it better than any other unit IMO just because you can change their equipment just before you go into a battle. As an example, to make money you're going to use all blunt weapons, but if you ever need to kill vassals you can quickly change their weapons to maximize the damage you're going to do.

something i recomend is if you see the lord of your kingdom are not atacking enough,you can talk to idle lords and go to "suggest a course of action" and then "thos fortress its weak and we should take" or something similar to that, seems to work with most idle lords even if they dont like you, they will go start a siege and you send a bunch to the same place,works great in feasts, if after they have a castle of city undersiege they take forever to atack you can go to "suggest a course of action" and tell them to atack now.

Forgot to mention and I'm not sure if anyone realized this yet but.... you can start the game with a 10 (14 with player bonus) looting skill from character creation.

Then if you add you free points to prisoner management...... cash galore.

Admittedly it makes the start WAY too easy. Primarily because you'll either be looting high end gear you'll put on yourself or your companions. Or quite frankly every battle is guaranteed to give you some serious loot upwards of 10 depending on size.

I start this way and went freelancer..... I raked in over 50k within 2 days at no cost. Once I went and got an army together, well you get the point.

Bankoleva said:
Forgot to mention and I'm not sure if anyone realized this yet but.... you can start the game with a 10 (14 with player bonus) looting skill from character creation.

Then if you add you free points to prisoner management...... cash galore.

Admittedly it makes the start WAY too easy. Primarily because you'll either be looting high end gear you'll put on yourself or your companions. Or quite frankly every battle is guaranteed to give you some serious loot upwards of 10 depending on size.

I start this way and went freelancer..... I raked in over 50k within 2 days at no cost. Once I went and got an army together, well you get the point.

Honestly i had no idea that you could get such a high level of looting in the beginning. I'll definitely give it a try!

Very nice guide, Onyyx, thanks for sharing it with us. Though I must add that blunt weapons are a great risk in some situations. If you decide to retreat and escape, the enemy will come back in full force and catch up with you if you are not skilled in path-finding.

And let me tell you my experience with a blunt weapon in another mod, where I was defending a castle 7 - 1. The siege lasted forever, because all the soldiers I knocked down came back in the next assault :smile: It was like fighting against a necromancer army. I use Skyfall with crushing damage mainly, but would prefer a piercing weapon to blunt any day.

The best starting weapon for me is lance, as long as you keep your horse alive, noone can touch you since those weapons reach far and deal insane damage when couched. As soon as you open your first enterprise you won't be needing money at all, because you will earn more than you can spend by selling loot and gaining tournaments.

I generally go and hire all the companions and do quests for guildmasters to level up the core team (I play companion complaints off, so we are 17, more than enough to deal with small bands of enemies) and gain renown.

arduus said:
Very nice guide, Onyyx, thanks for sharing it with us. Though I must add that blunt weapons are a great risk in some situations. If you decide to retreat and escape, the enemy will come back in full force and catch up with you if you are not skilled in path-finding.

And let me tell you my experience with a blunt weapon in another mod, where I was defending a castle 7 - 1. The siege lasted forever, because all the soldiers I knocked down came back in the next assault :smile: It was like fighting against a necromancer army. I use Skyfall with crushing damage mainly, but would prefer a piercing weapon to blunt any day.

The best starting weapon for me is lance, as long as you keep your horse alive, noone can touch you since those weapons reach far and deal insane damage when couched. As soon as you open your first enterprise you won't be needing money at all, because you will earn more than you can spend by selling loot and gaining tournaments.

I generally go and hire all the companions and do quests for guildmasters to level up the core team (I play companion complaints off, so we are 17, more than enough to deal with small bands of enemies) and gain renown.

Hey :smile:

Thanks for the feedback. I can see the problem of using blunt weapons when sieging, or facing an Elitorian or Geldarian army, as an example. But the thing is, like i said before, merc troops are super versatile. If you're not feeling the blunt damage against a certain type of enemy, you can quickly change their weapons.. you can choose a big 2h sword, or a big 2h axe or whatever.. you can shape them the way you want.

As an example, i like to change my merc archers a lot. My default setup for them weapon-wise is a long bow, 2 bags of arrow and a 2H axe with P and B damage. But when im going to face a enemy that has a lot of cavalry, i always change 1 bag of arrow for Long Spears.. Its just so versatile.. i love it  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The "Best" way....
- Be a sworn vassal with a town or castle. This give you the ability to have a prepared garrison for the coming sieges
- Once your ready, talk to you king/queen. Tell them you want out, then say your keeping your lands, congrats your now a king at war with your old faction

Rich would probably mean at least 200k. The reason for this is because you'll be at war and need the funds for fresh recruits, upgrades but most importantly there are options to pay for peace with factions. If you end up with 5 faction coming after your new kingdom, paying some or all off for 20 days of peace while you recruit lords and prepare, is generally the smartest option.

Don't forget that leadership skill and renown are the most important things to raise. Use a small party against bigger ones to earn renown quickly. I can get 70 - 75 renown in one battle against those assassin parties around Bulgan.

Meanwhile send your companions to gain support and right to rule. If you plan to become vassal, choose a minor faction, it will be much easier to gain independence. If you want to found your kingdom without becoming vassal, stay away from Drahara and Elintor. If Tolrania is fallen, Leuven is a good place to start if you can deal with Zann invaders.

Enterprises provide enough money to start with, if not buy some land in cities. Befriend lords and village elders, they will send you money as a gift from time to time.

An interesting tactic I've used in the past when I was part of a larger faction,  is to find the lord in the faction that sends you on the start a war quest. I would take the quest and start multiple wars for the faction before I left. You take a hell of a hit to honor. But the trick is that they can't focus on you when you declare independence because their being raided and sieged by multiple other factions. Additionally they're more open to peace with you because they have other wars to fight.

Onyyx said:
Actually since blunt weapons are kinda overpowered right now, i can basically steamroll most of the vassals of some factions like the bakhal Giants (the SUT ones have the SUT chieftain, they're a super powerful cavalry unit), i never lost a 1:1 battle against Tolrania vassals using just Hired Cavalry and Hired Knights with just shields and blunt weapons.. But thats about it.. the other factions will annihilate your troops.. but this party model is supposed to help you make money. ofc you're not going to siege a castle nor attack a faction using this kind of troops  :eek: :eek:

Is this still the case af HF13? I gave all of my custom mercs the best blunt weapons (1h and 2h) money can buy and they performed quite underwhelmingly tbh.

Weazel.Sidekick said:
Onyyx said:
Actually since blunt weapons are kinda overpowered right now, i can basically steamroll most of the vassals of some factions like the bakhal Giants (the SUT ones have the SUT chieftain, they're a super powerful cavalry unit), i never lost a 1:1 battle against Tolrania vassals using just Hired Cavalry and Hired Knights with just shields and blunt weapons.. But thats about it.. the other factions will annihilate your troops.. but this party model is supposed to help you make money. ofc you're not going to siege a castle nor attack a faction using this kind of troops  :eek: :eek:

Is this still the case af HF13? I gave all of my custom mercs the best blunt weapons (1h and 2h) money can buy and they performed quite underwhelmingly tbh.

Here is my Hired Knight's template:

Helmet: Sugarloaf Tripped Helmet
Gloves: Iron Plated Gloves
Body Armor: Knightly Plated Armor
Footwear: Knight's Greaves
Weapon: Long Gothic Mace
Shield: Black Demon's Shield
Mount: White Tiger

They absolutely destroy every bandit party in the game. Including the demon worshippers, knights of the eagle, wolf knights and so on and so forth. Even the illikas  :razz:

Back
Top Bottom