Muted for saying 'horse archers are homosexual'

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It might sound petty but I came onto the game today to find that I was muted. I think this is because iI said in a passing comment on the Skirmish Mode, "that horse archers are homosexual". Someone must have reported me which is ironic;

A) I am homosexual.
B) I, myself was a damn horse archer.

I explained that on the server at the time and clarified it wasn't meant in an offensive way. There were only 6 people on the server, and 4 were my friends. I have over 200 hours on Bannerlord, the vast majority spent on multiplayer, and never once had any offence given. Not to mention the number of words that are now muted on chat. I did not compare horse archers to being 'homosexual' in an insult or negative fashion, but, because I think horse archers are an OP class. I am adding a positive compliment comparison between 'horse archer' and 'homosexual'.

3 days after the conversation I have been muted. I generally think the TaleWorlds need to back off with the reporting system. Because, in theory, anyone can take offence, for instance, what happens if someone mentions they're a vegetarian? then someone mentions Hitler was a vegetarian? He could take offence and make a bloody report. What if someone took offence to transgenders or some contested subject like BLM? Admins and moderators should apply some damn common sense. This is the type of stuff that we used to laugh at in China.

I owned Napoleonic Wars Role Play and 59th Jailbreak and for many years. I know a great deal about how to conduct good policing on servers, and I tell you what, this is a really poor way to enforce community respect and tolerance. It does the exact opposite.

For the record, I absolutely support the punishment of abusive language. But my comments were not homophobic. Come on TaleWorlds, apply common sense.

PS - For the record, I don't even know why I was muted. They don't give a reason. Before people start going "omg it's only a week mute". What if a similar situation happens again? I could be banned from all multiplayer servers lel

Last edited:
It is a general rule of thumb that anything that might be regarded as homophobic, racist, sexist or a death threat is better not said in the chat of an online game, be it bannerlord or some other game. Whether you yourself are homosexual, a person of color or suicidal is of absolutely no importance at all.
What you mean by it does not matter either. Uttering the words themselves is enough.

Oh, and as an additional note. Let me tell you from experience (I worked as a player support agent elsewhere) that since you only got muted for this, you can consider yourself lucky, and that you got off lightly. It is not rare at all to get temporarily banned for this, even on first offence. (varies between games of course)

It is a general rule of thumb that anything that might be regarded as homophobic, racist, sexist or a death threat is better not said in the chat of an online game, be it bannerlord or some other game. Whether you yourself are homosexual, a person of color or suicidal is of absolutely no importance at all.
What you mean by it does not matter either. Uttering the words themselves is enough.

Oh, and as an additional note. Let me tell you from experience (I worked as a player support agent elsewhere) that since you only got muted for this, you can consider yourself lucky, and that you got off lightly. It is not rare at all to get temporarily banned for this, even on first offence. (varies between games of course)
What he said.

It's not hard. Don't use homophobic slurs or use homosexuality as an insult. Being from the group doesn't excuse it.

Regardless the mute is probably only temporary.

I am sorry, but I was not homophobic. So you think uttering the word "homosexual" is in itself enough to warrant a mute or a ban? You do realise, the word 'homosexual' isn't an insult but an adjective? And banning the word is a very dangerous and slippery road my friend. If you want to outlaw certain words in the English language, then TaleWorlds should imply a filter, oww, wait they already do, and homosexual isn't on there.

What he said.

It's not hard. Don't use homophobic slurs or use homosexuality as an insult. Being from the group doesn't excuse it.

Regardless the mute is probably only temporary.
I don't think you read my post properly, I did not use homophobic slurs or homosexuality as an insult. In fact, I used the word 'homosexual' in a positive light, comparing that to horse archers because they're an OP class. Please read my paragraph again.

I am sorry, but I was not homophobic. So you think uttering the world "homosexual" is in itself enough to warrant a mute or a ban? You do realise, the word 'homosexuality' isn't an insult but an adjective? And banning the word is a very dangerous and slippery road my friend. If you want to outlaw certain words in the English language, that TaleWorlds should imply a filter, oww, wait they already do, and homosexual isn't on there.
The way you used the word - and in the context; any passing observer would take that to mean you were using it in a derogatory manner. It's not the word that is banned; but the attitude it was presented in. Don't pretend that you can't see the obvious connotations of your sentence...

Besides you only got muted... jeese...

I am sorry, but I was not homophobic. So you think uttering the word "homosexual" is in itself enough to warrant a mute or a ban? You do realise, the word 'homosexual' isn't an insult but an adjective? And banning the word is a very dangerous and slippery road my friend. If you want to outlaw certain words in the English language, then TaleWorlds should imply a filter, oww, wait they already do, and homosexual isn't on there.
Are you being willfully ignorant, or haven't been around the internet, ever?

Calling something gay, homosexual, whatever is one of the most common ways of voicing your disapproval of it on the internet. Whether being gay is a good or bad thing is irrelevant. That's just what people do, and that's a behavior that is not considered alright anymore. The fact that you used "homosexual" instead of "gay" also does not matter. Same thing.

I don't think you read my post properly, I did not use homophobic slurs or homosexuality as an insult. In fact, I used the word 'homosexual' in a positive light, comparing that to horse archers because they're an OP class. Please read my paragraph again.
One could very easily argue that using the word homosexual in that way is also phobic. Much as I would be wrong to use 'Heterosexual' as a compliment. It suggests one is better, correct , preferable or right. When sexuality does have, and should have, nothing to do with it.

Are you being willfully ignorant, or haven't been around the internet, ever?

Calling something gay, homosexual, whatever is one of the most common ways of voicing your disapproval of it on the internet. Whether being gay is a good or bad thing is irrelevant. That's just what people do, and that's a behavior that is not considered alright anymore. The fact that you used "homosexual" instead of "gay" also does not matter. Same thing.
"Are you being willfully ignorant". Be careful with your language (some) people might consider it belligerent or offensive and actually merits for a report application. Again, you need to re-read what I said... using the term "homosexual" in a positive fashion does not breach the Multiplayer Behaviour Guidelines/ Code of Conduct. Go and read it.

If community guidelines are to be enforced, they should be properly enforced.

No, it seems not. So much so you came here to complain you were muted (the horror!) in a computer game.
Damn right. A gay man can't refer to his sexuality in a positive fashion without straight boys making reports. I personally think it was due to the fact I went horse archer and was killing everyone.

Last edited:
One could very easily argue that using the word homosexual in that way is also phobic. Much as I would be wrong to use 'Heterosexual' as a compliment. It suggests one is better, correct , preferable or right. When sexuality does have, and should have, nothing to do with it.
I agree with you on that point tbh. But, then, if we cannot refer to sexuality, then, why do we refer to genders? We have Male and Female categories within Bannerlord. I don't want to ride that train, but many people find gender pronounces offensive.

I owned Napoleonic Wars Role Play and 59th Jailbreak
You should be banned purely for this, you dirty homophobe

On a serious note though most people would interpret that as using the word in a homophobic way (especially seeing as horse archers are massive ****s) and its Taleworlds who made the rules, even if they are over-zealous

I made a small adjustment to your quote - please tell me that is acceptable behaviour?
Personally, I don't mind. I used straight not to denounce their sexuality, but to highlight that most likely a straight man got offended, on the behalf of all homosexual men. I appreciate the need to fight hatred and bigotry but come on bro.

Personally, I don't mind. I used straight not to denounce their sexuality, but to highlight that most likely a straight man got offended, on the behalf of all homosexual men.
And that's the point - it shouldn't even be a thing that needs mentioning. I have no interest what sexuality the horse-archers are; it makes no difference.

Regardless your mute is probably a week at most. You can still play the game - I don't think it's going to do you much harm.

don't feed the troll
Please don't use insulting language aimed at another user, you could find yourself "muted". Generally, if you called someone a troll ingame, you could easily end up with a 1 week ban.

And that's the point - it shouldn't even be a thing that needs mentioning. I have no interest what sexuality the horse-archers are; it makes no difference.

Regardless your mute is probably a week at most. You can still play the game - I don't think it's going to do you much harm.
I see your thinking but I don't agree that TaleWords should be legislating against normal, legal (UK) discourse. I know it's their game and platform etc, but I also am a paying customer and there should probably be an appeal process at the very least. Especially when I have supported this game, like many others over the years.

I generally think what is in the Multiplayer Behaviour Guidelines/ Code of Conduct is acceptable. However, there is nothing I said that breached those guidelines and I think it was silly heavy-handed enforcement. If simply tying the word "homosexual" is grounds for punishment, it should be muted like the racial slurs.

Last edited:
I see your thinking but I don't agree that TaleWords should be legislating against normal, legal (UK) discourse. I know it's their game and platform etc, but I also am a paying customer and there should probably be an appeal process at the very least. Especially when I have supported this game, like many others over the years.

I generally think what is in the Multiplayer Behaviour Guidelines/ Code of Conduct is acceptable. However, there is nothing I said that breached those guidelines and I think it was silly heavy-handed enforcement. If simply tying the word "homosexual" is grounds for punishment, it should be muted like the racial slurs.
You can appeal - not sure who you need to speak to. Probably Callum; someone else might know better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom