Multiplayer Mod Team Recruitment

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys could look at how other multiplayer games get key recognition to work, there are certain commercial and non commercial games where it's possible (either made possible by contributions from the fan base or released by the publisher) to see the source code, and the systems that they use to connect the comps up.

Of course, I can imagine that copying it literally may not be legal nor a collective amalgamation of a couple of them, but it should give you guys some idea to how to do it, or to drop it all together if you still haven't found the programmers necessary for the job.

I've been meaning to get with the guy that made the Oblivion MP mod. Maybe the San Andreas guys too. I'll probably do that after work tomorrow.

I was planning on it. Some of the criticism was helpful, some of it was actually funny. I saw the pic of the freight containers and the one with the car through the roof and  I lol'd.

Hopefully, though, the thread will begin to lean more towards actual discussion of how to make this thing work. We all seriously need to get on an IM of some sort.

Finally!  About bloody time that people are starting to work together discussing about MP mods.  and Oh, Arkinnian check your PM please.

:smile:

Eagle out...

Swadius said:
Eagle114th said:
Finally!  About bloody time that people are starting to work together discussing about MP mods.  and Oh, Arkinnian check your PM please.

Eagle out...

You couldn't let it lie there could you?

What is wrong about me being happy that modder and people are starting to talk about MP mods now?  I have been waiting for the positive tihng to happen in this forum for a long time now.

Eagle out...

Eagle114th said:
Swadius said:
Eagle114th said:

Eagle out...

What is wrong about me being happy that modder and people are starting to talk about MP mods now?  I have been waiting for the positive tihng to happen in this forum for a long time now.

Eagle out...
Yeah... I can no longer defend ya man... any flames you get now are 100% earned

On topic. As I had posted before, would a MnBSE (Mount & Blade Script Extender) be out of the question for connecting two players via a webserver?

DamienZharkoff said:
Eagle114th said:
Swadius said:
Eagle114th said:

Eagle out...

Eagle out...

On topic. As I had posted before, would a MnBSE (Mount & Blade Script Extender) be out of the question for connecting two players via a webserver?

LOOK... there is win or lost in brawling situtation.  All I wanted to see is that modder of MP mod AND community to actually talk thing and share the idea and trying to work together instead of brawling.  I know, it seem chessy at first.  But now can you see how modder are serious about it, no matter if the outcome may be either success of failure.  That is all I ever wanted to success and that is bring more of modder and communty together.

Eagle out...

DamienZharkoff said:
Eagle114th said:
Swadius said:
Eagle114th said:

Eagle out...

Eagle out...

How would a M&B script extender work with what we currently have?

Swadius said:
Is it legal to for someone else to give permission to another person who has bought the game to try and activate his copy of M&B on his computer and play with it?

I don't know about legality, but it's possible to play other people's games using remote desktop on Vista or VNC. But, it'll be slow and sucky.

ttsec said:
Swadius said:
Is it legal to for someone else to give permission to another person who has bought the game to try and activate his copy of M&B on his computer and play with it?

I don't know about legality, but it's possible to play other people's games using remote desktop on Vista or VNC. But, it'll be slow and sucky.

I suppose stripping the program down and optimizing it for a game would help the speed somewhat, but the possibility of that being illegal still stands.

grailknighthero said:
DamienZharkoff said:
Eagle114th said:
Swadius said:
Eagle114th said:

Eagle out...

Eagle out...

How would a M&B script extender work with what we currently have?
Elbaorate that question please?

Don't know if this has ever been mentioned, but how exactly would access someone's desktop remotely work? Technically, couldn't you use that aspect for the networking? Use it to connect to someone's computer, and on that computer run M&B? Then, of course, once the game's been edited to allow for 2 players...

Nah, that wouldn't work. I mean, do you guys have any other idea how it could work? The hardest part isnt' really the networking...

I really have a hard time seeing the actual combat work. The campaign map is pretty feasible actually, by just using a replacement NPC; but with M&B's twitch-based combat, it'd be pretty damn hard to code.

Elenmmare said:
Technically, couldn't you use that aspect for the networking? Use it to connect to someone's computer, and on that computer run M&B? Then, of course, once the game's been edited to allow for 2 players...
Nope. Leaving aside modifying the game for two players the Windows' RDP is quite frankly a *****. You'd get better performance playing via carrier pigeon.
I really have a hard time seeing the actual combat work. The campaign map is pretty feasible actually, by just using a replacement NPC; but with M&B's twitch-based combat, it'd be pretty damn hard to code.
It depends on how dependent on twitch you're looking at. Assuming you've got an 80ms ping (and ignoring processing time etc) the question is whether that 80ms delay would make a difference often enough for anyone to notice. The answer, even with M&B, is probably not. The real trick would be minimising the time it takes to service each packet to ensure the delay is minimal.

I suppose I meant to say something like Remote desktops. Never trust an actual Windows program.

Elenmmare said:
Hell. Finally one good point; split screen. That at least makes some sense. Course, anyone who plays Mount&Blade will know that's pretty damn hard to do, but all you'd be doing is basically opening two characters at once, using 2 mice in the USB port, and rebinding some controls- arrow keys for one guy, WASD for the other and what-not. I could see that happening.

Does Windows allow 2 separate mouse cursors? Whenever I connect additional mice, there is just a struggle for controlling one cursor :???:

Well,

Hopefully I don't come off as a pessimist, but to me this looks nothing more like a clever troll trap, and we've seen many of them. I'd like to say that for the sake of folks who are tangled up in entertaining this snare.

No team listed, no work to show for, or base ideas discussed. No mention of where the project looks to start. Only talk of "answers to come" from someone registered this month with 10 posts.

Now i've been involved in breaking a few percieved limits one way or another, as have many other people. Generally it involved some discussed ideas, pics to show, credible folks involved (sometimes new faces) etc. I'm not saying I dont think multiplayer is possible, as it seems some credible info has come from arch, and now I think folks should pressure him to develope something of it :smile:

What i'm saying is don't get overworked till you see something tangible.

Archonsod said:
Can the spam, or I'll be adding more bans to the tally.

4 Pages back but..

You should modify your icon to be a sword above your name rather than a flag, and each ban just redo it with another tally xD

I'm honestly hoping to see a script extender show up out of this, that'd be a DREAM for any modder. I can always be optimistic and hope for the best =3

Archonsod said:
You'd get better performance playing via carrier pigeon.

:lol: Proof that where there's a will, there's a way. Maybe get pigeons with USB ports?

Okay, back OT.

The Scrip Extender idea seems to me like it would be our best option at this point. My question is how hard would it be to make a MBSE? What exactly would be involved in the creation of it, and would it be legal?

If we could get a MBSE going then I'm sure that implementing variables such as account_id and player_name wouldn't be too difficult. If you had a dedicated server you could have a folder on that server labeled something like MB Accounts. Players could register with a third party client, which would add an account to the folder. Savegame information, etc. could be stored in this folder...

Aside from getting the source code, an extender seems to me like it'd be the best option...so how do we make it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom