MP tutorial suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

BRUH.

Recruit
Hi everyone,

TL;DR at bottom

I have a suggestion for reducing the skill gap within the game and to promote more competition within the community. Considering the current situation (EA release + lower playerbase) there is a wide skill difference that is noticable amongst the different game modes - mainly Skirmish and Captain.

The newer players who want to learn more about the mechanics of playing the multiplayer side and achieving a higher score on the leaderboards have nowhere to turn to gain information on combat techniques, tips from veteran players or certified tactics that would help improve their gameplay in the various game modes and provide a better experience for team-based play. For the average player it's just a hack and slash with a lot of dying and thus annoying veterans on their team if they solo queue.

I believe there should be tutorials created by the community of veterans (I would've suggested TW help but they have enough on their plate) that can help provide this information to the newer players so they can gain experience and would want to stick around in the game longer. As well as a Duel Server (Just name it Practise Server) for those new players who would like to practise further without the obvious skill gap, with a pop up at map launch mentioning basic server rules + tips. Pro players have their passworded server so shouldn't pose a problem, equally it would deter certain people from ruining more competitive dueling. Futhermore there should be a better way for them to view these tutorials than joining the forum, possibly within the multiplayer menu it showcases each class and a few techniques to play each in .gif format.

At this point if you started to play a new game and joined the multiplayer the first place you would look is for tutorials or to join a newbie server for practise (I understand Ranked Mode is coming and that could alleviate some of the problems) but all that is available is TDM which is chaos on drugs or Siege which for a new player is instant death by arrows and then peasant classes.

The Benefits for newer players:
- Learn the skills faster and start cutting through the skill gap quicker
- Tactics for all game modes are more prevalent as they have read the tutorials provided which would equal a better gaming experience for all
- Less moaning and demotivation as they begin to understand why their enemy beat them and how they can improve their own skill
- More likely to stick with the multiplayer and not leave after a couple games

The Benefits for veterans:
- Having a solo queue player on your team isn't as worrying anymore
- Not playing against the same 10 names in your chosen game mode
- The locked duel server wouldn't have new players on it as they'd have their own
- More tactics based play from all
- More players to join clans and thus a higher chance of the game achieving the 'E-sports worthy' game everyone wants it to be

For instance all this information could be in the form of a tutorial or in a wiki:
- Attack direction and speed depending on weapon
- How to beat an attack flurry (spam)
- Different weapon benefits against certain opponents (counters)
- Standardised tactics for each game mode
- Feinting (and chambering)
- Kick + slash
- Best way to play each class
- Best loadouts and cost effective choices
- Most frequently used commands in Captian
- Hotkeys
- Staggering

Destiny Pickups are a great addition and whoever organised it is brilliant, but its missed by the vast majority of new players who don't visit the forums.

I am more than open to suggestions from veterans/TW or opinions of players based on when they first started and how they achieved their skills.

TL;DR
All I would like to see is a tutorial section/wiki on the MP screen with a few short 5/10sec gifs and brief descriptions on how to get better for each class/gamemode to benefit gameplay for all.

The problem lies with how different multiplayer and singleplayer are from eachother in my opinion.

Singleplayer has no need of 50% of the stuff learned in multiplayer, while the multiplayer needs 100% of the stuff learned in the singleplayer.

There will always be a gap no matter what, but i agree that some small gifs or "wikipedia" ingame that explains very common concepts such as kick-slash, staggering and stuff would make it a lot easier for those players.

It's reminds me of people playing PW for the first time and having trouble understanding the meaning of so many different words such as RDM/NRR,..

Great thread totally agree started something a while ago, which admittedly needs updating since 1.5.5 but the majority of it is still solid (exception of some F commands and an adjustment to shield charges probably)

For captain mode I put this basic tactic guide together (linked below) but it is for everyone to contribute to and add their 2 cents. This is mostly information to try and get people to think about playing captain differently to the "just charge when your see the enemy" strategy which is popular among new players.

Anyone who wants to know something or wants to offer a suggestion, Go to the link below and contribute or ask questions and we will answer whatever we can, the more people talking and strategising together the better (in game and on the thread)

Last edited:
Good idea.
Maybe TW should learn the tips and tricks from the top clans and include them as tutorials, in many aspects, captain and skirmish divided into categories. Like they can show how swinging gets affected by the footwork and attack directions for skirmish and they can give tips for maps or tactics for captain(idk captain mode that much so can't really suggest anything), make a few videos of it, instead of putting a newcomer right into a siege or tdm server and just say "here is a sword and probably a shield, try to survive" thingy.

''Use pikes to stop the cav''
''Throw axes to deal damage''
and so on
No advice can teach a player to play, not in BL, it's all about practice and maybe communicating with other players.

While it's mostly practice, yeah, I see no harm in adding some tips and tricks either in the main menu or on the loading screen. For instance, if you're playing mostly single player you might not have even used a feint in a fight before. On top of that, I remember when I first started I had no idea what chambering meant and could see myself being confused by 'crush-through' if I hadn't heard about it on the forums first.

Would actually be quite cool to see a lot of the mechanics explained by the devs with short gif's to complement them. However, it might be better if we as a community put together the gifs and a short explanation and see if TW themselves want to add it in.

Its clear the players need to do this themselves, so lets just do it, The experienced players want a more competitive game and new players want to know what's going on so its a win win. Just spend 30 mins every now and then adding to a strategy guide till its finished, record your fights, but probably best to only post them as tutorials when you can actually see the strategy, not just 15 mins of someone galloping around on a horse hardly even looking at what is happening in the battle

It's not about making people better at the game, it's about making people PLAY the game.

As i said, basic concepts should be explained, as they can be unique to each gaming experience varying from game to game.

Notable example: Flag system

It's not about making people better at the game, it's about making people PLAY the game.

As i said, basic concepts should be explained, as they can be unique to each gaming experience varying from game to game.

We all agree, its just about being bothered to do it. The devs are not going to write up a strategy guide. If they talk about the mechanics of flags that's great, but they would say the "mechanics of the flag is morale" because that's what it is.. All the while, when to and when not to is much more important in captain mode in the case of flags, rather than just knowing "I have to get flags to keep morale". That mindset can just as well lose a game in captain as it can win a game. This is where player made strategies will be much more useful to someone wanting to PLAY the game and not feel like quitting after 2 matches.

The game never explains what a faint chamber nor stun is which is ridiculous tbh.

Hilt spam is ridiculous annoying for new players, they have no idea why someone can hit at that speed and why they can't hit them back.
Players who never played MP come into it thinking it is block-hit-block-hit while it is way more complicated and there is no indication of this whatsoever.

This leads to a very steep learning curve as it is fairly frustrating which isn't good for a game.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

We all agree, its just about being bothered to do it. The devs are not going to write up a strategy guide. If they talk about the mechanics of flags that's great, but they would say the "mechanics of the flag is morale" because that's what it is.. All the while, when to and when not to is much more important in captain mode in the case of flags, rather than just knowing "I have to get flags to keep morale". That mindset can just as well lose a game in captain as it can win a game. This is where player made strategies will be much more useful to someone wanting to PLAY the game and not feel like quitting after 2 matches.

If we can get a MP dev on board to agree to this then people may be more willing to spend 20 minutes of their time creating a quick guide in their chosen class and game mode. This can be placed on the main screen under patch notes.

Thanks for that guide Spottswoode I have just read through it and learnt some helpful tips I wouldn't of known unless I played 10+ hours of Captain mode.

I have had a look through the Steam Guides section and some people have already posted some useful tips (outdated now considering new patches) but they can be worked on - we just need a central place new players can see it all on the MP menu.

I fully agree with Horatius the learning curve can be frustrating for those that have only played Bannerlord singleplayer - not everyone will have countless hours in Warband MP to start from.

+1
They can add a tutorial like Mordhau. It was very comprehensive and explained nearly everything, from feinting to chambering and so on. A lot of newcomers are only aware of only attacking and blocking, you can learn all mechanics by time, true, but it takes a considerable amount to learn mechanics like feinting or footwork and until then there is a high chance they won't play again because they're getting their ass beaten by every other guy who has more than 100 hours in the game.

To some degree the community needs to step up here as well, most MP games don't really have a fleshed out tutorial but have a thousand videos all explaining how to play. There isn't really a MP video scene for MnB though, just a small competitive community sharing matches and so on.

Back
Top Bottom