[MP/SP] Dynamic Blocking Debate

Would you be interested in adding this type of blocking in Bannerlord?

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

I think you are missing the point, okam's directional blocking was not by any means the reason for its fall. In fact, for 2h there were 9 directions and 8 for 1h, and the lock was for stances iirc. This is a summary of what happened if someone is interested in: link
I never said it was the reason for it failing, only that it used a similar system and that I disliked it in that game. The locking system was there to make it possible to turn and maintain your block direction and it is the only real solution to the major issue with this kind of blocking and that fix is still less than ideal for me.

I never said it was the reason for it failing, only that it used a similar system and that I disliked it in that game. The locking system was there to make it possible to turn and maintain your block direction and it is the only real solution to the major issue with this kind of blocking and that fix is still less than ideal for me.
It seemed that between the lines you were insinuating, I must have misunderstood ... my bad. Thanks for debating anyway :wink:

I prefer current system much more. You are just exchanging one limitation (need to release button before blocking in to another direction) for another one (having to limit your movement by the direction you're blocking). Frankly later is much worst in my opinion as it limits what you can do in combat while the current mechanics does not.

Of course if it was only an optional feature that you can turn on or off like current autoblocking, why not. How it would work in a MP, to have two different blocking mechanics that could potentially lead in to exploits, I don't know.

That said I would much more prefer if devs improve combat AI instead of adding more mechanics to the combat that can potentially make AI even less competent. Right now AI does not block much at all and is very easy to exploit once you have bit of experience. I would prefer if AI was capable of blocking more consistently and fighting AI with equal skill to mine would be more equal match.

Last edited:
What if? ground.

What if, in order not to lose the parallel when we want to block and turn, we could lock the block for an instant with the combination of LMB+RMB?

SaltyBetterCattle-size_restricted.gif

Edit: Just like Last Oasis

Last edited:
Don't see why it needs to be complicated; there's no issue with the fundamentals of the manual blocking system. The problem is with the shield positioning not adjusting as you move due to the directional blocking system being applied to that, which ends up looking silly and being counter-intuitive to block against ranged.

You don't need a new system to fix that, you just need to apply the Warband system (or indeed the Sturgian shield system). The fluid blocking for manual blocking is a different idea altogether, chuck it in as an option sure, but it shouldn't be tied to shields.

Yeah, there was discussion about changing blocking animations; one to block left, one to block right and then a moveable centre block which you can move up and down like Warband. This is the most ideal scenario. We can implement the smooth blocking for the central block.

Imo Last Oasis captures the ideal scenario. Fluid blocking for shields (with shield equity would be ideal, lol) and 1h-2h weapons as you can also do with the mod for Bannerlord. Mechanich through LMB + RMB: if you hold left click while parrying you can freely rotate your camera as well while holding your parry on the side you want.

Player choice with toggle option + slider threshold.
I don't see it as a complication, but rather to broaden the skill ceiling.

You would need camera stabilization, imo. Also there is the problem of reworking the ai to match the fluid movement; And there is a good chance this would increase the spam attacks.

A small concept level simulation:
shield+1h2h

Mechanich through LMB + RMB: if you hold left click while parrying you can freely rotate your camera as well while holding your parry on the side you want.

Last edited:
It's looks good, but would have to be tested in practice, especially in multiplayer. I can imagine it can result with some weird 360 spinning movements and blocking multiple opponents at the same time and animation confusion.

+1 for Fluid Blocking. Found it hands above vanilla system as it far more resembles real human reflexes whilst needed to press/repress the block button does not. Enjoyed that mod alot right off the bat but stopped using it as i didnt want to get too used to it and then start getting into MP one day when i would rely on it

I wish the @MisterOutofTime 's Custom server were up and running
Crying in space psycodelic cat...
tenor.gif
Mabye if we beg enough we can get a custom server specifically up and running for this basically a scientific experiment or when you search something on foogle with chill its for school i think if we crt enough we might be able to get it done or at least attempt to or mabye just a random server with it

WpMJh.png

In this new M&B game, we have all been able to confirm that the 4-position directional block has been incorporated into the combat system. As in everything, there are people who are more favourable, others less so. I personally believe and have commented in previous discussions; Taleworlds has a diamond in the rough under the current blocking system blanket.

I would like this thread to be a civilised debating ground where both MP and SP players share impressions about the topic at hand here; a fluid aka dynamic blocking system.

I'll put it in context a bit:

Practically since last year's beta period, I have been commenting in this thread about the possibility of implementing a dynamic blocking system adaptable to both shields and 1h/2h weapons. Also, as a result of this thread and this humble & simple mod I have suggested that all shields can perform the same range of manoeuvrability as all round sturgian shields (useful for sieges and testudo formations).
+
Recently I have come across this wonderful mod: Fluid Blocking
This mod is the technical culmination of the argument that I was defending (along with others) in the above-mentioned threads. Without any weird delay effects, this mod offers what it says in its title; simply fluidity of blocking.

Here is a test for those of you who have not tried the mod (forgive my humble skills).

Fluid Blocking + default shield (native)
(*) Notice how with the use of the tilde (º) key, it's avoided the problem of breaking the parallel between shield and weapon blocking with this system.
Fluid Blocking + Shield Equity (moded shields)
(*) Notice how with the use of the tilde (º) key, it's avoided the problem of breaking the parallel between shield and weapon blocking with this system.

Fluid Blocking mod - 2h testFluid blocking mod - 1h+shield test

*Dramatised movements

In my opinion this system provides (MP and SP environment):

-Increased importance of good footwork
-Attacks with more aggressive feints
-Wider failure window (more realistic imo)
-In expert hands (+skill celing): multiple opponents at the same time thanks to the quick block. Flick the mouse + hold RMB (or sum of th 2 blocking combination)

Perhaps this dynamic blocking system could have its toggle on/off button (+a threshold-multiplier regulator).

ZadcD.jpg

Here I open this debate so that the wide range of players we have in the community (from veteran MP players to newcomers in the SP) can speak out through the word and a small survey to measure the general interest.

---

What if, in order not to lose the parallel when we want to block and turn, we could lock the block for an instant with the combination of LMB+RMB?

Mechanich through LMB + RMB: if you hold left click while parrying you can freely rotate your camera as well while holding your parry on the side you want.
1h+shield2h

I second this my friend.

I feel it's more intuitive to have blocking like you're proposing than the actual system in the game.

Sometimes I "try" to change block direction without releasing the RMB, only to be slaughtered in the end ?

Back
Top Bottom