[MP/SP] Dynamic Blocking Debate

Would you be interested in adding this type of blocking in Bannerlord?

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Terco_Viejo

Spanish Gifquisition
Grandmaster Knight
WpMJh.png

In this new M&B game, we have all been able to confirm that the 4-position directional block has been incorporated into the combat system. As in everything, there are people who are more favourable, others less so. I personally believe and have commented in previous discussions; Taleworlds has a diamond in the rough under the current blocking system blanket.

I would like this thread to be a civilised debating ground where both MP and SP players share impressions about the topic at hand here; a fluid aka dynamic blocking system.

I'll put it in context a bit:

Practically since last year's beta period, I have been commenting in this thread about the possibility of implementing a dynamic blocking system adaptable to both shields and 1h/2h weapons. Also, as a result of this thread and this humble & simple mod I have suggested that all shields can perform the same range of manoeuvrability as all round sturgian shields (useful for sieges and testudo formations).
+
Recently I have come across this wonderful mod: Fluid Blocking
This mod is the technical culmination of the argument that I was defending (along with others) in the above-mentioned threads. Without any weird delay effects, this mod offers what it says in its title; simply fluidity of blocking.

What if, in order not to lose the parallel when we want to block and turn, we could lock the block for an instant with the combination of LMB+RMB?
Mechanich through LMB + RMB: if you hold left click while parrying you can freely rotate your camera as well while holding your parry on the side you want. As the function cannot be defined with a multiple binding, the following is simulated: LMB+RMB=Middle mouse button.

Since I have not been able to set up a multiple key binding for a function, the main keys are presented as follows:

LMB= attack
RMB= Fluid blocking
Central mouse button =default blocking
(if multiple bindings were possible, the concept would be) LMB+RMB=default blocking

Here is a test for those of you who have not tried the mod (forgive my humble skills).

CONCEPT TESTFluid Blocking + Shield Equity (moded shields)
AI set to 100

Fluid Blocking mod - 2h testFluid blocking mod - 1h+shield test

In my opinion this system provides (MP and SP environment):

-Increased importance of good footwork
-Attacks with more aggressive feints
-Wider failure window (more realistic imo)
-In expert hands (+skill celing): multiple opponents at the same time thanks to the quick block. Flick the mouse + hold RMB (or sum of th 2 blocking combination)

Perhaps this dynamic blocking system could have its toggle on/off button (+a threshold-multiplier regulator).

ZadcD.jpg

Here I open this debate so that the wide range of players we have in the community (from veteran MP players to newcomers in the SP) can speak out through the word and a small survey to measure the general interest.

Last edited:
I'm fine with the optional new features, and this dynamic blocking can also increase cooperation at teams because of its fluid/better cover. So, yes.

So just to make sure I'm understanding this right... the fluid block changes your block position depending on your movement (footwork) ? Or your camera angle, without needing to press the block button again?

So just to make sure I'm understanding this right... the fluid block changes your block position depending on your movement (footwork) ? Or your camera angle, without needing to press the block button again?
Block direction is by mouse movement, same as normal. What's different is that you don't have to release the RMB to change direction. You can just hold down the button and move your mouse and it'll change the block direction fluidly

If you are blocking and need to change the way you are facing, you practically can't, because it will change your block direction - this should be the only needed argument as for why it shouldn't be implemented. If I am wrong, feel free to correct me.

If you are blocking and need to change the way you are facing, you practically can't, because it will change your block direction - this should be the only needed argument as for why it shouldn't be implemented. If I am wrong, feel free to correct me.
Yeah that's what I said when Terco first came up with the idea. It would not work solely for this reason.

Is it a sacrifice that would not allow for this feature to be implemented? I think that is why Terco mentions that pressing the tidle key (*) allows viewing at any direction while also blocking at a certain direction.

That's right, but with a quick footwork and stop blocking you can center your guard and your position in relation to your opponent. To me the sensations with "that system activated" are very similar to this but with the directional aspect.

I hope you guys can test this mod by yourselves and then come and comment here. Of course, I would love to test this system against a human instead of a bot.

This looks very appealing to me, even when i see the obvious aforementioned downsides.
That being said, i don't see any problem in adding it as an option in SP (similiar to autoblock), and see where it goes from there.
Loving the pretty OP as always my boi ❤

That's right, but with a quick footwork and stop blocking you can center your guard and your position in relation to your opponent. To me the sensations with "that system activated" are very similar to this but with the directional aspect.

I hope you guys can test this mod by yourselves and then come and comment here. Of course, I would love to test this system against a human instead of a bot.

I will, thank you for creating this post!

As long as the Ai learns how to properly use this new dynamic shield system I have no problems with it, however before a change like this should be made, the team needs to absolutely 100% make sure the Ai can handle the new combat system. We don't need another situation where an entire units Ai is broken for over a month like with Archers that have been broken ever since 1.5 dropped and have still not been fixed due to not properly implementing the new aiming system. This type of rushed content isn't something us captain mode players want as it destroys our gamemode when you mess with how an Ai functions.

TLDR: Good suggestion. TaleWorlds needs to make sure their Ai units can incorporate the new system properly if it's ever going to work.

The failed Of Kings and Men used a system pretty similar to this for blocking, and I personally disliked it. IIRC, it also had a key that locked your block in it's current direction, allowing you to turn without changing your block. Ultimately, to me it felt like it made combat a little bit more complex needlessly, as now I had to be mindful and make ample use of another key on top of everything else.

The failed Of Kings and Men used a system pretty similar to this for blocking, and I personally disliked it. IIRC, it also had a key that locked your block in it's current direction, allowing you to turn without changing your block. Ultimately, to me it felt like it made combat a little bit more complex needlessly, as now I had to be mindful and make ample use of another key on top of everything else.

I think you are missing the point, okam's directional blocking was not by any means the reason for its fall. In fact, for 2h there were 9 directions and 8 for 1h, and the lock was for stances iirc. This is a summary of what happened if someone is interested in: link

Back
Top Bottom