MP [MP Game Mode] - Generals Mode

Users who are viewing this thread

I feel like when the MP player baser increases and matchmaking actually matches skill level 1v1 matchmaking for general would be okay.
I'd be keen to see how big the skill gap is. Like the skill gap between your top multiplayer duellist and your average player is pretty huge - with all the bots at your command though... well would be very interesting to see if...

A) Personal combat skill is still as relevant.
B) Large skill discrepancies correlate to static win/losses or would the A.I. element allow a newer player to trump a more experienced one on occasion.
C) Faction win ratio is the same as captains mode - maybe with more overall direction factions like Battania might perform better (with a big archer spam perhaps).
D) Players would drill down into the command/A.I. aspects a lot more and come up with new ways of using them.
E) Unit spam is viable or does a more balanced army trump this. Do we see a scissor/paper/stone situation for army compositions like RTS titles?

Last edited:
I want to see it implemented so much, this is great idea!
Cheers - there has been quite a few threads on the topic over the months but I am trying to make this the primary one for gathering ideas/support for it. I really think it could be the link between singleplayer and multiplayer that has been forever missing from the M&B titles.

more overall direction
Players would drill down into the command/A.I. aspects a lot more and come up with new ways of using them.

One person can't surpass six people in terms of complexity.

To be clear, if I could take control of all 6 players bots in a random game filled with EA badges I probably would, because they don't understand the game on a fundamental level. If I could take control of all 6 bots with my clan SkBr, I wouldn't, because there's no way I'd have the APM or multiple camera positions required to input the optimal commands in an engagement.

6v6 Captain is always going to be much more complex and solved than 1v1 Captain.

One person can't surpass six people in terms of complexity.

To be clear, if I could take control of all 6 players bots in a random game filled with EA badges I probably would, because they don't understand the game on a fundamental level. If I could take control of all 6 bots with my clan SkBr, I wouldn't, because there's no way I'd have the APM or multiple camera positions required to input the optimal commands in an engagement.

6v6 Captain is always going to be much more complex and solved than 1v1 Captain.
I both agree and disagree. Micro management will obviously be better in 6v6, there is no way one player can manoeuvre an army in as much detail as 6 players. However Macro management could (depending on the player) be better. Lets say i want to shield wall my infantry, skirmish with my archers, then pull back behind my infantry and let the infantry charge in line (so they do not fight defensively).

Two players could achieve this yes with good communication. It wouldn't be too difficult at all. One player though can do it even easier though.

Also say I want to use shielded skirmishers or light infantry to basically use a pin cushions to waste enemy arrow fire; one player can do this easily. Multiple players of course can as well except the player playing the pin cushion isn't exactly going to have a good time.

So yeah Brandis you are correct, there is no way one player can out-manage 6, but it does give players opportunities to use strategies that only clans in discord would really be able to utilise otherwise. Matchmaker players typing on their keyboards cannot coordinate to this degree.

I both agree and disagree. Micro management will obviously be better in 6v6, there is no way one player can manoeuvre an army in as much detail as 6 players. However Macro management could (depending on the player) be better. Lets say i want to shield wall my infantry, skirmish with my archers, then pull back behind my infantry and let the infantry charge in line (so they do not fight defensively).

Two players could achieve this yes with good communication. It wouldn't be too difficult at all. One player though can do it even easier though.

Also say I want to use shielded skirmishers or light infantry to basically use a pin cushions to waste enemy arrow fire; one player can do this easily. Multiple players of course can as well except the player playing the pin cushion isn't exactly going to have a good time.

So yeah Brandis you are correct, there is no way one player can out-manage 6, but it does give players opportunities to use strategies that only clans in discord would really be able to utilise otherwise. Matchmaker players typing on their keyboards cannot coordinate to this degree.

I see your point. In 1v1 you could use specific strategies regardless if you trust the other players or not.

I still would prefer 6v6 and I think from a tournament perspective 6v6 would give higher quality matches, due to higher micro as you mentioned. Another thing to consider is that player characters can do a lot of personal fighting in 6v6 while in 1v1 it would be insanely risky to die.

I see your point. In 1v1 you could use specific strategies regardless if you trust the other players or not.

I still would prefer 6v6 and I think from a tournament perspective 6v6 would give higher quality matches, due to higher micro as you mentioned. Another thing to consider is that player characters can do a lot of personal fighting in 6v6 while in 1v1 it would be insanely risky to die.

I think you can't really compare it.
It is similiar to duel and skirmisher.
Same elemets but all put together, it's something different.
I'd like to see if generals would work as a game mode.

Last edited:
I think you can't really compare it.
It is similiar du duel and skirmisher.
Same elemets but all put together it's something different.
I'd live to see if generals would work as a game mode.
Indeed; I mean it could just be a mess. But at least it would be finally nice to see a game that resembles the SP make it into MP; there has been such a divide for so long.

Agreed. In my experience with NW the side with fewer palyers but more troops per player usually wins due to better army cohesion. The current meta in Captain is "Just rush them with infantry!" anyway and that's simple enough for one player to perform.

Captain mode is certainly be a nice to havebut not very high on my priority list. I've also asked myself whether a general-role, however assigned, in Captain would help coordinating with randoms.

Tbf he's right all you'd have to do is give the player command of all the units and change the unit picking phase slightly

Tbf he's right all you'd have to do is give the player command of all the units and change the unit picking phase slightly
It would be a super easy change; yet it would be the first time M&B MP actually resembled the SP in any form. MP has always been its own world with its own meta and game modes. It's no wonder so many SP players never even try it.

ngl, I'd probably exclusively play this, or a horde mode, if they were ever implemented.

If there were some even 2v2 mode with multiple units or something that'd be insane.

Back
Top Bottom