MP [MP Game Mode] - Generals Mode

Users who are viewing this thread

Honestly, when i started looking into Captain mode, i didnt pay a lot of attention and thought it was gonna be just like your Generals Mode. I thought i was gonna 1v1 my friends with units. Was sorta disapointed when i realized i had to deal with 5 other teamates that spam F1 F3 before i can position my archers properly.

1v1 in a battle field with units would be very interesting.

I'll bump this and say that another game mode that lets the singleplayer guys come up and enjoy some multiplayer cannot hurt and will only boost the population of the game in the long term.

Honestly, when i started looking into Captain mode, i didnt pay a lot of attention and thought it was gonna be just like your Generals Mode. I thought i was gonna 1v1 my friends with units. Was sorta disapointed when i realized i had to deal with 5 other teamates that spam F1 F3 before i can position my archers properly.

1v1 in a battle field with units would be very interesting.
I'll bump this and say that another game mode that lets the singleplayer guys come up and enjoy some multiplayer cannot hurt and will only boost the population of the game in the long term.
Cheers guys... I guess this means I can't whine about you not giving any positive feedback anymore.

I am destroyed.

+1 this is a great idea, essentially a single player battle but with a player commanding each team, it would also make tactics like full rabble or full varyag etc worse because one player is better att microing than 6.

+1 this is a great idea, essentially a single player battle but with a player commanding each team, it would also make tactics like full rabble or full varyag etc worse because one player is better att microing than 6.
Well it would be interesting to see how that meta develops. I could certainly see people using shield walls to tank enemy archer fire more often though - afterall no one wants to play the pin cushion without at least trying to get some action.

How can one player be better at mircoing than six lol? Tactics would be dumbed down because you can input 20 commands in the same couple of seconds from different directions like you can in a team. You just wouldn't have to rely on teammates.

How can one player be better at mircoing than six lol? Tactics would be dumbed down because you can input 20 commands in the same couple of seconds from different directions like you can in a team. You just wouldn't have to rely on teammates.
Debateable.

Micro strategy (in terms of individual unit positioning) would be worse but macro strategy ( in terms of your full armies position) could be better. Either way would be interesting to try out.

What I meant is they would have a better idea of the overall strategy

I think having captain squads at the start if it is implemented is a great time saving idea as I think he said but eventually I'd like to see a more detailed system more similar to sp perhaps even with sps additional troops types from MP.

I think having captain squads at the start if it is implemented is a great time saving idea as I think he said but eventually I'd like to see a more detailed system more similar to sp perhaps even with sps additional troops types from MP.
Well I'd love to see more of the SP troop types in MP full stop to be honest. I posted another suggestion here previously where I suggested a rotation of minor factions. So each game you play as one of 36 combinations (or more) of Major/Minor factions. Might be interesting.

Anyway I certainly think there's some interesting directions this game mode could go - however I'm cunningly trying to make it sound as easy as possible to introduce into the game.

The less work it requires - the more chance someone might pick it up and say "that sounds like an easy win - let's add it" :wink:

That's the idea anyway.

Actually one of the problems with balancing is that captain and skirm have the same troops and perks whereas they are totally different modes (I understand its easier) but perhaps if captain (+general) were treated seperately with more troops types and different perks etc it could solve this, for instance berserker are useless in skirm but not in Captain.

Actually one of the problems with balancing is that captain and skirm have the same troops and perks whereas they are totally different modes (I understand its easier) but perhaps if captain (+general) were treated seperately with more troops types and different perks etc it could solve this, for instance berserker are useless in skirm but not in Captain.
Yeah agreed it's a problem. However I can totally see why TW are so hesitant to separate them. I mean it's obviously going to be a damn lot easier for the devs just keeping one batch of classes.

Still maybe in the long term it's something to consider. There is clearly already some sort of separation though as the bots you lead in captains mode have slightly different equipment to the player classes.

They could maybe pair up sp and captain? Since the player can't be omnipresent maybe a tactical map could be useful depending on whether it was 1 or multiple points, 1 would definitely be best.

Last edited:
They could maybe pair up sp and captain? Since the player can't be omnipresent maybe a tactical map could be useful depending on whether it was 1 or multiple points, 1 would definitely be best.

A tactical map might be useful - but I wonder if that takes away from the 'Mount & Blade' experience. Not sure. I do worry it might be hard to manage a full army on some of the more 'busy' maps. Maybe Generals Mode maps need to be more plain and open - so you can properly survey the battlefield.

Also...

LeyJo.png
8si1a8E.png

I've suggested something like this here . It is not exactly what OP has suggested, but in essence it is the same.
Note: In the thread, I've created a rough UI and provided an explanation of how it would work.

I mean that may be the case, but that'd be resolved with matchmaking.

It would be equally boring dueling random people who have no idea what they're doing. Both 1v1 and 6v6 require matchmaking.
And thus we must pray for custom servers

And thus we must pray for custom servers
Well we will get them eventually. Like I'm not worried about that - it's a certainty. This kind of 1v1 mode would much better suit a tournament format run off by a Streamer or discord channel. Like it's begging to be made into a format like the total war streams.

Well we will get them eventually. Like I'm not worried about that - it's a certainty. This kind of 1v1 mode would much better suit a tournament format run off by a Streamer or discord channel. Like it's begging to be made into a format like the total war streams.
I feel like when the MP player baser increases and matchmaking actually matches skill level 1v1 matchmaking for general would be okay.

Back
Top Bottom