MP [MP Game Mode] - Generals Mode

Users who are viewing this thread

AxiosXiphos

Sergeant Knight
xJDvnnT.png

Hello there! This is a suggestion thread to discuss the idea of a primarily 1v1 matchmaking game mode where players lead full armies of bots into MP battles!

This is how I see it working, if you like the idea please feel free to drop a +1 or a comment below;

GENERALS MODE BRIEF
  • Game would begin much like a regular captains mode game. Except each player would receive a number of 'unit slots' (4 to 6+) to pick their detachments to make their army.

• Each 'unit slot' would equate to one regiment of the unit chosen per the normal unit quantities in a regular captains game. e.g. picking heavy cavalry once uses a single slot and gives me 6-8 (or however many) of the unit I picked. I could then pick the same option again and get another group of this troop type to fill another slot.

• Every round players have a set amount of time to fill up all of their unit slots and to pick the appropriate perks for each.

• The player would then either play as a member of their first regiment (the unit that occupies the first slot) or as a generic 'General' unit type for each faction until killed (at which point they would take control of a unit as normal).

• Instead of three flags only one would be present each game round, either spawning at the start of the game round or alternatively after a few minutes have passed. Either way this would be to avoid players corner camping.

• First to three wins takes the game as normal.

• 1v1 would be the primary focus but you could also do 2v2 and beyond with bigger maps as Bannerlord develops. Of course you could also change it to make it a 3v3 or 4v4 mode but only 2-3 unit slots each (so like an oversized captains mode game).

UI VISUALISATION

Current selection would be shown in gold with blank circles to indicate unfilled slots. Unit type logos can be used to identify army composition as you create it via the panel shown below. Selecting a slot would allow you to use the normal selection UI to pick unit category and perks.

Hggr1Ou.jpg

REASONING

Here's my thoughts on why this might be an easy win for Bannerlord multiplayer;

Easy to implement and balance: Aside from the unit picking step it will follow the exact same structure, maps and balancing as captains mode. It would not require a considerable effort to implement or to upkeep if captains mode continues to be updated; it would follow suit exactly with any changes.

It mimics single player: One thing that has always been lacking from the M&B multiplayer experience is the true scale and feel of the single player game. Even captains mode is very little parallel to a battle in the normal game. Generals mode would give players a multiplayer experience that mimics how they play offline. I believe it would be a much bigger draw for players who consider themselves 'single player only' which is a big part of the community.

Matchmaking would be easier: The biggest benefit of online gaming is also its biggest flaw - other people. Unless you go into a game with a team having to rely on randomers for every captains mode game you play is not always perfect (though it can also work out brilliantly I'll admit). They can sometimes leave the game, go AFK for half the round, run off on their own and not play as a team or simply type abuse at their team until everyone is sick. I love multiplayer games but a mode such as this would take away all of these frustrations for those put off by this.

Ranking makes more sense and would be fairer: If you ever wanted to truly add a competitive game mode to M&B then this would be perfect. It combines all the tactical depth of the main game but still relies on the individual player skill of the multiplayer. Not to mention players can play on their own merits without worrying about their team.

It would be great for youtubers to cast: Total war is a popular title for watching games live on youtube as are many other real time strategy games; Bannerlord could achieve similar fame with the modes it has already but something with a lot of similarity could draw in some more of this crowd. After all these gaming communities do cross significantly.

All those order commands have real value and use: Often times many of the formations/commands in captains mode are more of a gimmick then of real value. After all much of the game units will be tailing after their commander regardless. However think how much more value shield walls, infantry squares, loose archer formations, advancing formations and cavalry cycles charges will be when the player is commanding every unit. You will start to see real strategy and depth develop.

It doesn't necessarily need to be official server based: If it doesn't fit the designs TW have for their matchmaking modes and offering official server support would cost too much money it could also work just as a game mode primarily for custom servers. As it does not need many players; individuals setting up their owns games would be much more feasible then say 200 man siege games - even if it is just to play with friends.

Last edited:
Would be great. +1 from me.
I'd certainly like to play some games against friends in this mode.

+ from me too. I would play this. An option to go higher than 2v2 would be nice but I would like this the way you described it a lot.

+1 This might encourage the single player population to try out multiplayer more. Also does not seem super hard to implement with captain mode serving as the framework.

I'd be interested to try this, although I think 5 troop selections would be better than 6. I think you could go more micro with 5 and that would raise the skill ceiling a bit, while keeping a healthy amount of troop diversity.

Just so you know, Captain is an absolute blast with a full team -- even if you just get 5 randoms that are good -- and an absolute misery on live servers because you're guaranteed 1-2 new players who refuse to listen to the most simple of advice. Judging captain teammates based on live means that you'll always reach the conclusion that they're terrible. But in proper 6v6, one of Captain's strengths is playing with teammates and against multiple opponents.

Except you Shinra.

I'd be interested to try this, although I think 5 troop selections would be better than 6. I think you could go more micro with 5 and that would raise the skill ceiling a bit, while keeping a healthy amount of troop diversity.

Just so you know, Captain is an absolute blast with a full team -- even if you just get 5 randoms that are good -- and an absolute misery on live servers because you're guaranteed 1-2 new players who refuse to listen to the most simple of advice. Judging captain teammates based on live means that you'll always reach the conclusion that they're terrible. But in proper 6v6, one of Captain's strengths is playing with teammates and against multiple opponents.

Except you Shinra.
To be fair I actually do love captains mode; even solo queuing. I have updated the thread a little because that's a valid point; sounded like I was dissing Captains mode a little over matchmaking. That wasn't the intent at all! :grin:

+1 This might encourage the single player population to try out multiplayer more. Also does not seem super hard to implement with captain mode serving as the framework.

Yeah; a gross number of players never even try MP. Something like this might be a good way for their friends to draw them in. At the very least it means people who don't want to dive into the bulk of MP can still play around with their buddies without needing a bunch of other people to play against.

so what we had in With fire and sword already but without gold
Neue-Bitmap.png
in wfas's captains game mode uses already unit slots(default 6 per person)+gold system+customization thats an offical dlc but yeah whatever.
The grand desing of choice ™

so what we had in With fire and sword already but without gold
Neue-Bitmap.png
in wfas's captains game mode uses already unit slots(default 6 per person)+gold system+customization thats an offical dlc but yeah whatever.
The grand desing of choice ™
I didn't play too much WFAS; from what I understand what was more like defence mode with a few bot allies wasn't it? Not a full scale battle?

Either way certainly a good example yeah.

Like said before, this looks a lot like WFAS captain mode, and i like WFAS.

Good luck on this axios, you're quiet the optimistic person so hopefully this gets pushed in. But from what i've seen, it never happens.

+1 nonetheless

Like said before, this looks a lot like WFAS captain mode, and i like WFAS.

Good luck on this axios, you're quiet the optimistic person so hopefully this gets pushed in. But from what i've seen, it never happens.

+1 nonetheless

It keeps me busy and from starting arguments with people; so take that as a win :wink:

300 views and only 13 replies though...

2h42t1.jpg

Last edited:
i love this idea and it's actually crazy how similar it was to my idea when i was playing captain mode. i have like 50 captain mode wins and i just couldn't help but think about how cool it would be if i could compose my own team and 1v1 someone maybe while controlling all of my units atop a large hill or something like that. huge +1 for this suggestion and for how thought out it was presented.

i love this idea and it's actually crazy how similar it was to my idea when i was playing captain mode. i have like 50 captain mode wins and i just couldn't help but think about how cool it would be if i could compose my own team and 1v1 someone maybe while controlling all of my units atop a large hill or something like that. huge +1 for this suggestion and for how thought out it was presented.
Ah thanks mate! A few more comments and I can request for it to be placed on the hot-suggestions list.... probably won't make a difference but you never know :grin:

Back
Top Bottom