MP - Banner poll

Should players be able to have large banners on their back in multiplayer? (example: https://www.tal

• Yes

Votes: 23 44.2%
  • No

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • I have a different idea (elaborate in the comments)

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello,

I am a big fan of the large banners that some troops seem to have in single player. It is pretty much the best way to show off your faction during a battle. And I was wondering if others would agree with my opinion to have banners on your back as an option in multiplayer.

From what I can see in the screenshots the banners are stuck to your back and are not wielded. Perhaps because they are treated as (unwieldable?) sheated spears.

It would be awesome if we could have them during clan battles, or during tournaments in 1 big server where multiple clans are there to show their forces and members. (a little bit like the olympics).

Thoughts?  :razz:

image.png

lolbash said:

Oh dear.

I'd be all up for more (somewhat realistic) flair, especially for multiplayer. I think it'd be a bit finnicky to implement though, unless it can be made transparent for the one carrying it. Otherwise the banner's shaft is going to be standing in the middle of your screen when it's on your back.

Also, hi Blead, have you been active all this time? I just came back to the forums because for some reason I thought Bannerlord was going to come out.

I think for single player, there should be +1 man who carry banner in realistic way for each different type of unit. this +1 man should not get involved in fighting which mean banner man do not deal damage  on the enemy but can be killed of course.

Kretti said:
Also, hi Blead, have you been active all this time? I just came back to the forums because for some reason I thought Bannerlord was going to come out.
Hello!  :razz: A little bit, it has been on and off for about a year now, still waiting for bannerlord. How are you?

Japanese samurai did carry large vexilloids on their back. So it clearly is possible. Just make it modest in size. I am sure devs can find something that does not look too out of place.

Even though in Europe, people did just have coats with their arms (coat of arms) on them.

3d_character_model___13th_century_heraldic_knight_by_macx85-d6e6bk7.jpg

So why not just have those? I personally would like the option to have both or just one of them. And those heraldic surcoats could and were worn also after introduction of plate armor. Though they usually looked bit different

rv02-15th-century-knight-1533-2.jpg

(btw, that coat of arms is bad heraldry. It is too complex for battlefield usage. In reality, soldiers should have only worn their "primary" coat of arms. That coat of arms has multiple shields, aka coat of arms, combined together, making it way too complex for any battlefield usage)

It would be a cool addition, however im sure there would be a couple issues with that being implemented. Im hyped about being able to customize our own banners tho. Itd be nice to see my flags waving in the wind as i charge my army, kinda poetic. maybe you could allocate flags to certain troops or followers and then you loose moral if that flag holder is killed??

Heraldry was often displayed in the West on a shield or tabard, or carried as a banner by a dedicated standard-bearer.  In the Far East, back banners were sometimes used, with each Samurai being his own standard-bearer displaying a list of personal qualifications and accomplishments.

I don't think a back banner fits well with Mount & Blade's setting, and it strikes me as an almost humoristic display of ego.  If you need your own billboard to show off how wonderful you are in your own mind, then you probably don't deserve one.  If you're as great as you THINK you are, other players should be able to recognize you by your heraldry (since faces aren't always an option, due to closed helmets, etc.).

Honved said:
If you need your own billboard to show off how wonderful you are in your own mind, then you probably don't deserve one.  If you're as great as you THINK you are, other players should be able to recognize you by your heraldry (since faces aren't always an option, due to closed helmets, etc.).

wat

lolbash said:
Honved said:
If you need your own billboard to show off how wonderful you are in your own mind, then you probably don't deserve one.  If you're as great as you THINK you are, other players should be able to recognize you by your heraldry (since faces aren't always an option, due to closed helmets, etc.).

wat
His post makes so much sense, it's no wonder you didn't understand it.  A truly great commander will always be recognized by his heraldry.  He needs no further recognition.

Yes but sometimes you may want to display your cool armor set. In that situation having small banner or something on your back would work. It should certainly be small, nowhere near as big as some of the Japanese stuff.

When this is done properly by professionals, it can be made to look much more fitting. But size wise i think something like this would be good.
eYIXkcM.png
Original picture:
samurai1.gif
another picture of what Japanese had
318070-samurai-battle-war-flag-armor-war_horse-Japan.jpg

And this is what west had
JFchEep.jpg

Problem is that in multiplayer there are no flag bearers since everyone is their own lord. So some ways to display your own banner needs to be included, preferably also archers and people who want to display their armor would be able to display their banners. Carrying small flaglet on your back accomplishes that.

Blead said:
Kretti said:
Hello!  :razz: A little bit, it has been on and off for about a year now, still waiting for bannerlord. How are you?
Good enough I think. Waiting for Bannerlord as well, every other game seems to lose it's shine when this is the only game I'm currently wanting to play.

I could not care less about banners, if there is no armor customization and emblem to represent the faction you choose or colors on armors/pads etc then banners are pretty useless in multiplayer.

Honved said:
Heraldry was often displayed in the West on a shield or tabard, or carried as a banner by a dedicated standard-bearer.  In the Far East, back banners were sometimes used, with each Samurai being his own standard-bearer displaying a list of personal qualifications and accomplishments.

I don't think a back banner fits well with Mount & Blade's setting, and it strikes me as an almost humoristic display of ego.  If you need your own billboard to show off how wonderful you are in your own mind, then you probably don't deserve one.  If you're as great as you THINK you are, other players should be able to recognize you by your heraldry (since faces aren't always an option, due to closed helmets, etc.).

Everybody knows heroes don’t wear helmets. Helmets are for canon fodder and red shirts.

Back
Top Bottom