MP | A new feature: BannerLord Matchmaking, A tool that would allow you to improve the game in depth and quickly by bringing fun to play

add this system?

• Yes

Votes: 24 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 25.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Good evening to all,

I had several interesting discussions about the game and how to make it more interesting and attractive and often I heard about the balance. But not only the balance of the game as such, but also the balance between the players. So I will not talk here about technical problems or balancing perks and classes but about a tool that would make it possible to detect them without giving players an unpleasant gaming experience

In fact, as the title says, it's about a matchmaking system. right now the skirmish mode is a real wheel of fortune in which one can face very weak teams on the one hand and very strong teams on the other hand but rarely teams of the same level. this gives statistics to the developers which are very often wrong and very far from what the players of the BEAST tournament feel. So there are several facts that I'm going to quote about the public skirmish:

-The balance between teams isn't being made well and can be improve. I often see players playing against each other with a very large skill gap between them. the result is then written in advance and It's no fun for the team that wins and even less fun for the team that loses.

-There is a very unfortunate side to it: mixing new and old players. Then there are people who are new to the game and people who already have a very high level. This results in a very bad balance, since players belonging to clans do not hesitate to form groups and therefore play against players who are not in clans or groups.

my suggestion on how to remedy this problem quickly and effectively?

What made some european players want to play, and me first, were the pick ups that were set up by DM. It was a unique experience where you could build and see teams with more or less equivalent levels playing against each other. To progress and test the game, it was the optimal way to play. The problem is that from now on the players don't regularly do "pick ups" like before and I think that's a pity.

That's why I would like to see this system of pick ups implemented directly in the game. I don't ask of course to remove the public skirmish but simply to implement a new game mod in the game. In that game mod players can join a queue that has a maximum of 12 places. When everyone is ready, two captains are designated (of equivalent level according to their rank, I will come to that later). They take turns picking players to reach two teams of 6 players and then the two teams compete against each other. At the end of the match points are distributed and a rank is make.

As some people have noticed, this is the Warband matchmaking system. It would be, in my opinion, very interesting for players who want to train in competition without the need to form a group of 4/5/6 people.

Finally, I am not a developer. I don't know if it's complicated to implement now or if TW needs more manpower. But it would give a little taste to the game, which is destined to become a competitive game. it would be interesting to ask the opinion of people like Lapache who made it possible to implement this system on Warband. Anyway, I guess it's possible to implement and if it is then it would be really good and I guess a lot of players would find it good. Of course, this game is in Early Access, I'm aware of that. But isn't it time to test the game mode with ranks to see if it can work? Wouldn't it be interesting to have competitive game statistics and compare this information in order to improve the balance of the game? In any case, I know that this system would be greatly appreciated by many players and me first :smile:

I know that this is planned by the developers, but I would like to stress the importance of this. We want to have fun and by having fun developers will be able to gather information.

Would love to see that implemented soon! Definitly increases the match quality compared to the current random queue. The population is still high enough to create a rank system. Please implement it or atleast give modders the chance to do so soon! :grin:

I agree everything he said. It is a torture to play solo skirmish. Either you get very strong or very weak team. And after some time people think that is a waste of time to play normal skirmish alone. Pickups were amazing and I started playing this game again because of that. Pickups are mostly gone, because they are too hard to arrange. So people that want to play the game competitively only can play in tournaments or be in a clan to be participate in a training match. And I know devs are working on it but this is too frustrating.

+1
Agreed
But as someone said/joked there is only 5 guys and one of their grandmother working in MP department I don't think they really have manpower to implement this. Possibly after full release.

I think the approach to skirmish should be changed along the lines of your suggestion.

To better explain: We could have different queue types for example solo queue, group queue.

The solo queue experience would go as follows:
1) You as a solo player hit the skirmish play button
2) You're matched with 11 other players
3) Captains are chosen (they're many options on how to choose cpts: wins this week, matches played the last 3 days etc etc)
4) Captain players get to choose their teammates each in their turn.

But how will the captains know who to choose?

I think there is no perfect system for this issue but there are ways to give the captains visual information and help them.
Show MP level of players
Show Class information (could say: Main Class Cav and Secondary class is Archer)
Show stats for the last 5 matches played: Kill avg, D avg, Assist avg, etc.

The above will also encourage players to always try and perform better than their last match. To clarify the captains are only there to choose the players, no obligation to actually lead in the game.

Last edited:
There is no guarantee randoms that join will want to cooperate. No good way to punish that behavior. 5 + 1 vs 6 is worse than 12 unorganized fighting it out.

Not everyone wants to be captain. Who is going to lead?

What if captain trolls by picking bad team?

What happens if somebody leave?

Some will refuse to use voice and get killed alone in silence or something.

No class limits will be cancer.

Having main classes may or may not go against TW vision of Jack of all trades. Idk if they would want to encourge people to list main classes.

You split up the population.

*Edit. Much simpler way is disallowing team searching together. Let rating sort players out. Though that also has problems like splitting player base etc.

*Edit 2. We solve many of this problems on DP with having a social contract and flexibility. This might be harder to replicate in a different format.

Last edited:
There is no guarantee randoms that join will want to cooperate. No good way to punish that behavior. 5 + 1 vs 6 is worse than 12 unorganized fighting it out.

Not everyone wants to be captain. Who is going to lead?

What if captain trolls by picking bad team?

What happens if somebody leave?

Some will refuse to use voice and get killed alone in silence or something.

No class limits will be cancer.

Having main classes may or may not go against TW vision of Jack of all trades. Idk if they would want to encourge people to list main classes.

You split up the population.

*Edit. Much simpler way is disallowing team searching together. Let rating sort players out.

2) Captains are used for choosing the players and have no obligation to lead the team. Having leadership is what drives people to clans, for a solo q experience even if we don't get a dedicated leader, with voip coming I think it is fine this way.

4) If someone leaves a solo queue match he could be replaced by the closest level player that is searching for a solo game.

7) What I meant is you could list by order your favorite classes to play, an inf/archer/cav symbol will be attached to your avatar pic for example, and then to know the other preferences you could be able to click on the player profile and see more info.

2) Captains are used for choosing the players and have no obligation to lead the team. Having leadership is what drives people to clans, for a solo q experience even if we don't get a dedicated leader, with voip coming I think it is fine this way.

4) If someone leaves a solo queue match he could be replaced by the closest level player that is searching for a solo game.

7) What I meant is you could list by order your favorite classes to play, an inf/archer/cav symbol will be attached to your avatar pic for example, and then to know the other preferences you could be able to click on the player profile and see more info.
1. If one team has leader and the other does not, that might lead to confusion and a worse performence for the latter. By "social contract" is that with DP you agree to follow the commands of the igl, else you are kicked out. You can also expect to have igl, or else the pickup does not start. None of this is a given for this new mode.

*Edit. Not everyone is fluent in English either.

2. If player leaves between rounds, that is OK. But if they leave during round, that will suck for the 11 remaining players. With DP, you kick those out for future events. Also, you can just restart the game

3. Maybe have classes actually played as a percentage or something. Or just let them pick, yeah.

I am not saying it is impossible. Just that a few solutions for such problems need to be solved. And is that time you want the devs to spend than just finishing other stuff? I don't know.

a 12-man system where captains recruit players is a good idea, but in practice it doesn't seem feasible. It seems to me that it will be better if each player has statistics (the average number of score per round) - this will be the player's rank. this will be the main indicator when searching. When searching, two teams with an approximate rank indicator. And then everyone will enjoy playing. When searching, a person chooses the main class and the additional one. This will be needed for class balance.

a 12-man system where captains recruit players is a good idea, but in practice it doesn't seem feasible. It seems to me that it will be better if each player has statistics (the average number of score per round) - this will be the player's rank. this will be the main indicator when searching. When searching, two teams with an approximate rank indicator. And then everyone will enjoy playing. When searching, a person chooses the main class and the additional one. This will be needed for class balance.
I am pretty sure TW has a rating system already. But it is obstructed by players searching together.

Love the system but I have a big problem with it which I also had with DP.

I just want to play some casual games with some friends (from all levels) while joking around in TeamSpeak.
Yes, we trash most people but do this while ****-talking each other and listening to **** music.

I'm a fairly skilled player and don't really like sweating, I play to relax and just play without thinking 90% of the time in Bannerlord.

So what will happen to just friends who want to play a game? I'm not stacking to trash everyone but just to have some banter.

As we know there will be a ranked system and I hope it won't work like skirmishes. We already have an example of that kind of a system what Dragon presented. Warband Matchmaking and we should be inspired by that. Captains who choose the teams can see DMG/ Win rate/ KDA/ points by round and main class of every players. Person with the highest MMR from queue will become a Captain. Then Skirmishes can stay like they are now for *chilling playing with friends*

Well ranked mode is in the making.... Riiiiiiiight?

I think a clean matchmaking like in LoL or csgo would be enough and even better. The captain idea is only needed if the matchmaking algorithm is bad.

Back
Top Bottom