Movie Recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

Saw Midsommar. It's definitely not Hereditary, though some of the themes are similar. Less scary and more weird and ****ed up I'd say. If you're into slow burners and Ari Aster then it's definitely for you.

I saw "Gone with the Wind" on a whim*. What a great film! When you first see it's four hours long, you expect it to be overly prolonged and boring, but it's absolutely neither of those. Scarlett O'Hara, on her quite proper arc, goes from annoying for likeable to very dislikeable, and the journey is a fascinating one to watch. The messages are brilliant, with land, nation, honour, and chivalry placed first and foremost. I was utterly shocked when the movie suggested that it's more honourable to abandon three defenceless women (one of them sick, another a little girl) and a baby on the road in order to go and enlist in the army, when the war is all but lost and the writing's already on the wall. You'd never see a message like this stated by a film made today, that much is sure.

* The oldest movie I'd seen up to this point must have been "The Magnificent Seven". Oi, BenKenobi, are you still here? What should I watch next?

Jock said:
Saw Midsommar. It's definitely not Hereditary, though some of the themes are similar. Less scary and more weird and ****ed up I'd say. If you're into slow burners and Ari Aster then it's definitely for you.

Seconded. Notably, it didn't feel it's length on the first viewing, which is important for a 2.5 hour long movie. Maybe the best break up movie I've ever seen.

My only real gripe is the actor who played the lead's boyfriend. He had some terrible line delivery (which could have potentially been due to the fact that his character was duplicitous, but I'm leaning towards just bad acting), and ultimately the "horror" of his ending fell flat because I didn't get any emotion out of him. I'm 95% sure they only chose him because he was willing to go full frontal.

Watching Mythica: a quest for heroes.
Would recommend ironically. It has crammed a full length series worth of lame D&D style fantasy tropes into the first 20 minutes. Also super low budget.

I'm impressed how they released two movies in the franchise, in the same year (2016): Mythica: The Iron Crown and Mythica: The Godslayer.
That's a streamlined production team right there.

I've seen better graphics in Runescape.
5oaaw.jpg

Moose! said:
Jock said:

Seconded. Notably, it didn't feel it's length on the first viewing, which is important for a 2.5 hour long movie. Maybe the best break up movie I've ever seen.

My only real gripe is the actor who played the lead's boyfriend. He had some terrible line delivery (which could have potentially been due to the fact that his character was duplicitous, but I'm leaning towards just bad acting), and ultimately the "horror" of his ending fell flat because I didn't get any emotion out of him. I'm 95% sure they only chose him because he was willing to go full frontal.
Oh yeah, I really didn't click with the main guy actor either. I guess all of the non-Swedes could have been more fleshed out. The ****y eyebrow dude and black guy didn't really make me feel for them and their deaths had pretty much no impact. The boyfriend actor did a pretty damn good job of showing how much of a bad trip he was having at that celebration table, though. :razz:
I also wish Pelle wasn't so obviously ****ing evil straight from the start.

Big Bad Pent said:
Watching Mythica: a quest for heroes.
Would recommend ironically. It has crammed a full length series worth of lame D&D style fantasy tropes into the first 20 minutes. Also super low budget.
All five of the films are on Prime Video right now! I've got them lined-up for a marathon at some point. So glad it's low-budget and cheesy. I was hoping they were.

They are much better movies than the original D&D movie. Not that this means much, though; that ten minute movie I did with my phone by accidentally filming the insides of my pocket was a much better movie than the D&D one.

The first one was hilariously awful, but I remember actually enjoying the second one, "Wrath of the Dragon God", quite a lot -- it actually seemed marginally related to D&D, and despite a few hilarious bits, I don't recall it being bad at all. In addition, when a film is used for an unofficial Blind Guardian music video, that indirectly elevates its score by a couple of points too.

The Mythica series is pretty good, as far as budget fantasy goes. I had the rules for a Mythica drinking game, largely related to overacting, outlined in some youtube video comment, but can't find it now. That's probably a good thing, as you'd be under the table before you finished half of the first film if you tried to follow that. If you can manage to not laugh yourself to death with the pointless hellhound and the rubber spiders in the first film, and to survive through the better part of the second one, you'll be good.
And finally, here's an excerpt from a text file where I put things I deem important:
Code:
mythica kevin sorbo scene timers:
film 1 - 3:11
film 2 - 4:51
film 3 - 4:24
film 4 - 10:26
film 5 - 03:40
You're welcome.

Haven't seen the second D&D movie yet, but I did see the third one. That one was a movie with (kinda) interesting plot and characters, a minimal amount of clichés, and generally had effort put in it. It was surprising, really.

Wow, I had completely forgotten about the D&D film! I have to watch it again. It's been years! I had no idea that they made sequels either. Fantastic stuff. Definitely going to try and get hold of those. Hopefully someone is streaming them.

Bromden said:
...what? No! Why would you do that to yourself?
I love terrible films. They're great for just laughing at how ridiculous and bad they are. I've seen quite a few now. But alas, I can't find them with the streaming services I use. It was not meant to be. I could rent them on Prime, but I'd rather not spend money on something I'll probably only watch once more in my lifetime.

Back
Top Bottom