Mounted Warrior

Users who are viewing this thread

There are barely any downsides of having a lance over a spear(heck the lance even has better range, more dmg, can break shields, the speed difference is minimal), as long as they dont fix that i cant support every class having options for lances. Its just a not fun being couched and not rly fun to play like that. It requires less timeing than stabbing and less precision.

It wouldnt even fit the class theme aswell.(bringing the realistic argument oof)
yes I know spear on cav sucks and is a ****ty concept lol

This class needs a helmet by DEFAULT. Then upgraded armor can be better boots and gloves or bodyarmor.

Weakest cav class in the game, nearly impossible to win an open map with Battania because their cav are so weak.

This class needs a helmet by DEFAULT. Then upgraded armor can be better boots and gloves or bodyarmor.
The files seem to suggest that the armour value given to a unit is uniform across the entire body, so the helmet they get is just a visual representation of better armour, rather than indicating that they have better head armour exclusively.

This class is a complete joke. They are really, really bad. They should maybe get a slight buff, or at least make the infantry of Battania decent enough to be able to afford such a bad cav unit. For now, Battania is just unviable as a faction in MP for the most part.

This class is a complete joke. They are really, really bad. They should maybe get a slight buff, or at least make the infantry of Battania decent enough to be able to afford such a bad cav unit. For now, Battania is just unviable as a faction in MP for the most part.
I completely disagree. Battanian cav is the best light cavalry unit in the game, and it's problem lies just in that: Light cavalry in general is bad in captain mode. The problem does not lie with the unit, it lies with cavalry AI. For ramboing, I love the mounted warrior, and cav is only good for ramboing atm anyways.

Javcav is a nonoption in Captain mode, at the moment.

I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone hit with a javelin from a Mounted Warrior, and I'm sitting at ~1400 hours.

Of course, AI improvements are on the way, but only giving them 3 javelins is a bit outrageous when the other choices are a superior primary weapon and horse barding.

Give the poor guys at least 6 javelins, please.

Javelin Cav suffer a massive drawback compared to Skirmishers because they cannot pick their javelins back up. We could try to compensate for that by giving them a little more ammunition, since horses can carry more than people.

Hey, hear me out.

Light cavalry is borderline useless in Captain. On paper they are meant to attack out-of-position archers, but in reality they can't do that. A completely isolated Light Archer is able to engage Light Cavalry in hand to hand combat and succeed reliably. Heavy Archers will murder light cavalry dumb enough to engage them. A lot of this is just AI problems, but there's no real fix for that.

They are slightly effective when used as Mounted Infantry in very select situations.
  • Ride to a strategic location, dismount, and fight.
  • Ride up to reinforce archers being pushed (especially by enemy Cav), dismount and fight.
  • Remount to capture flags, then come back to dismount and assist infantry
This is very fun, but it doesn't come up very often, and could do with being expanded. Choosing Lt Cav in order to do this is very suboptimal for your team's class makeup. We should encourage this a bit more.

Maybe a Perk in the second slot that functions like the "Medium Infantry" for Guards/Voulgiers, maybe called "Mounted Infantry":
  • +2 Troops.
  • Replaces the long slow cavalry sword with a faster Axe or sword meant for foot combat.
  • Increases foot speed by 10% or so (Cavalry Troops are insanely slow on foot, this just makes them same speed as normal Inf).
  • Nukes their Riding skill down to 0 (comparable with normal Infantry). Not meant to be used for horseback fighting at all, just strategic movement.
This way if you take the Armor perk in the first slot, then the "Mounted Infantry" slot in the second perk, you have a strategic fighting force that can't go toe-to-toe with Light Infantry or Heavy Infantry on their own, but could be used to deliver quick reinforcements to allies, capture Points, drive off Skirmishers/Archers, or put up a strategic Shieldwall somewhere. The drawback is you can't stand up to enemy cavalry on horseback at all, as your weapons are optimized for foot combat and they can outmaneuver you easily.

This would make them function kind of like historical Anglo-Saxon/Britton mounted infantry, who would ride to battle and dismount to fight.

Last edited:
Considering that this is the only cavalry option for Battania, I wonder if the Cavalry spear should be replaced with a light lance of sorts, in that it'd be couchable, but deals less damage than the lances employed by heavy cavalry.

Back
Top Bottom