Mounted companions are grouped with infantry

Users who are viewing this thread

booseeyang

Recruit
Hi, I know i can assign companions to captain specific groups, but once all my groups are led, and i still have some companions left over, they are all grouped into the 1st group, even if the 1st group is on foot and the companion is mounted. This results in the companion charging into battle ahead of everyone if i give the charge or advance order. Is there a way to reassign mounted companions to the calvary or mounted archer groups instead? There used to be a button in the party screen that allowed u to do this, but that has since been removed.

Don't expect anything to be changed. Former system of assigning each single unit type including companions into latin I to VIII groups is gone and never gonna return back 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yeah it's frustrating. They clearly have an idea of what each companion must be and don't you dare give that companion a horse, he was born to be on foot melee only. If they just kept the old formation choice system along with the order of battle stuff I wouldn't mind.

Here's a quick fix - since your companions are infantry.. in the pre battle screen create a new group of infantry.. the companions should appear in that new group.. then close it out and they will appear now in your original infantry formation and they will be there in battle.

For me my companions were archers so I had to create a new archer group. The issue only happens when I have at least one cavalry unit in my party. But this fix should work every time.

Last edited:
EDIT for clarity.

Also, if the Companion is a Captain and are mounted, they will continue to be so - you should have a warning for that specific case within the Captain selection. Just issue a Dismount command in the OOB menu and slap the horse in the butt so it doesn't mess up your line. Or keep your designated Infantry & Archer Companions unmounted - it doesn't affect anything if you dismount them though.

The old method was much nicer but TW never finished the AI profiles or icons for anything outside of Infantry/Archer/Skrimisher/Cav/HA so we got the OOB (which was asked for) and it's less than stellar.

Good luck getting skirmisher Ranged separated from bow/cross Ranged - most of the filters are broken or supersede one another.

Last edited:
I like OOB, being able to place your formations beforehand.

But I would've loved OOB if it could be done with custom formations. I like manually appointing troop types to a formation instead of cluttering it all up into a single one or making it a hassle to maybe split some.

I think there should be a morale penalty for routing units. But only if I'm able to desin a bodyguard unit.
Yes, warband was better, more crude and simple. (It's like every Windows after Windows XP designede to be more and more user friendly, only to achieve the opposite).

Hi, I know i can assign companions to captain specific groups, but once all my groups are led, and i still have some companions left over, they are all grouped into the 1st group, even if the 1st group is on foot and the companion is mounted. This results in the companion charging into battle ahead of everyone if i give the charge or advance order. Is there a way to reassign mounted companions to the calvary or mounted archer groups instead? There used to be a button in the party screen that allowed u to do this, but that has since been removed.
You can't really do anythig with the new system it just randomly throws in Infantry, bowmen, and Cav together... the new system makes the game unplayable IMO.

Back
Top Bottom