Resolved Mounted Archer behavior when the captain of the unit carries a banner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
Branch
Main
Modded/unmodded
No, I didn't use any mods.

Excirial

Recruit
Summary: Captains of a unit can be given a banner which grants a bonus to the unit they are in command of. This banner will then be carried into combat by a random soldier in said unit. This is problematic for ranged cavalry units though. The unit that is granted the banner in a ranged cavalry unit will no longer be able to use a bow, and is reclassified as a melee unit.

Ranged Cavalry units are generally set to charge the enemy, which will cause them to sircle the enemy formations and fire arrows at them. However, the sole banner carrier cannot use a bow and will instead behave like a melee cavalry unit. A charge command will therefor cause the ranged cavalry to sircle, while the banner carrier will do a one-man charge into the hostile infantry which is pretty much a guaranteed death sentence. Occasionally another mounted archer will then try to pick up the banner, and repeat the same problem.

How to Reproduce:
- Equip a banner to a player or companion.
- Create a unit of mounted archers and make the player or companion carrying the banner the captain of said unit.
- Order the mounted archer unit to charge the enemy.

This works best when the player has a stronger army than the enemy, as this will cause the enemy to assume a defensive formation. In that case the "Solo charge" of the mounted archer carrying the banner is much more noticeable as the unit will run into a static formation of hostiles.

Note that i reproduced this on a new save without mods on the 1.0.3 version of the game, and have not tested this behavior in 1.1.0 (As i am remaining on 1.0.3 till the few mods i actually use update). There was no indication in the patch notes that this was an issue that was fixed in 1.1.0 though, so it seemed worthwhile to report just in case.

Back
Top Bottom