Mount & Blade: Warband - Viking Conquest DLC (Release Date: 11th December)

Users who are viewing this thread

nacholoko16 said:
The 2 h- axe is Rollo influence? Jesus crist so much case about a 2 h axe...
I agree, just use grendels troll club for a awesome 2hander, and you get to keep the prisoners.

Alright, so far I'm loving the campaign (I'm lucky enough to still have had no crashes) but I discovered something that appears to be a glitch. Often, when it's nighttime, I sail to shore and set up camp so that I can rest. For some reason when I set up camp in Ireland it cost me 1000 pennings (think that's the name) and I set up a refuge. It makes no sense as I only have 27 men, but it requires 30 to set up a refuge. Not sure if it's a glitch or I'm missing something...

One thing that irritates me about the story mode is that even when you start as a Christian it has you on a voyage to visit a sorcerer.  It makes sense for the pagans but divination is a sin according to Christian teaching.  Would have made more sense to have it be a "Man of God" or something more appropriate.

Ill explain some stuff about my suggestion for polearm/two-handed axes/one-handed axes to be more common and more variety:
1 Good reason for it to be implemented is that not everyone had enough coin to buy or even make a sword.

2 Even though some axes were actualy pretty expensive and not everyone had a handy small war axe for one hands, Axes were still pretty common.
Anyway the axe that would be fun for devs to add is a dark age axe: http://bladesmithsforum.com/uploads/monthly_01_2011/post-26987-129494690272.jpg after all axes should be alot more common, but swords should be more worth than it already is and it should cost more for someone to carry a sword, anyway.

3 It is the earlier version of Danish Bearded Axe, remember that we are not in 10th Century but 8th, stuff are slowly processing, that would be the ancestor of Danish Bearded Axes, most people think vikings used axes the most but actualy Saxons and many other cultures used the axes more than sword aswell, not only for its cost but it was actualy really effective weapon for its price, as many said in the earlier comments sword were really expensive too, it was for people with high status, the higher-end soldiers, kings, earls, jarls, nobles, ETC. For a commoner a sword would be impossible, maybe if that commoner scavenged from the killed enemy.

In anyway though, everything can wait, i would rather have a fixed DLC than having new stuff added to the sadly bad DLC(i like it though, bad in a way that the bugs and glitches ruin it.)

Brentimus Maximus said:
One thing that irritates me about the story mode is that even when you start as a Christian it has you on a voyage to visit a sorcerer.  It makes sense for the pagans but divination is a sin according to Christian teaching.  Would have made more sense to have it be a "Man of God" or something more appropriate.
What your saying is logical, but these people would have been recently converted and would know very little about what the bible actually said, many even would have worshipped both pagan gods and Christ. Those who did renouce the gods of thier ancestors would probably still continue some heathen traditions, perhaps not knowing they where breaking Christian law. Its not so far fetched for christian vikings to turn back to heathen ways in certain situations, the sagas have a few examples. For any celtic or anglo saxons though you may have a point, but I imagine most people are playing as scandinavians.

mauhur said:
nacholoko16 said:
The 2 h- axe is Rollo influence? Jesus crist so much case about a 2 h axe...
GG if you think 2h- axe is something to do about Rollo...
I think he means people are baseing thier expectations off of the vikings series, but as I already said maybe some two handed axes but not alot.

mauhur said:
Ill explain some stuff about my suggestion for polearm/two-handed axes/one-handed axes to be more common and more variety:
1 Good reason for it to be implemented is that not everyone had enough coin to buy or even make a sword.

2 Even though some axes were actualy pretty expensive and not everyone had a handy small war axe for one hands, Axes were still pretty common.
Anyway the axe that would be fun for devs to add is a dark age axe: http://bladesmithsforum.com/uploads/monthly_01_2011/post-26987-129494690272.jpg after all axes should be alot more common, but swords should be more worth than it already is and it should cost more for someone to carry a sword, anyway.

3 It is the earlier version of Danish Bearded Axe, remember that we are not in 10th Century but 8th, stuff are slowly processing, that would be the ancestor of Danish Bearded Axes, most people think vikings used axes the most but actualy Saxons and many other cultures used the axes more than sword aswell, not only for its cost but it was actualy really effective weapon for its price, as many said in the earlier comments sword were really expensive too, it was for people with high status, the higher-end soldiers, kings, earls, jarls, nobles, ETC. For a commoner a sword would be impossible, maybe if that commoner scavenged from the killed enemy.

In anyway though, everything can wait, i would rather have a fixed DLC than having new stuff added to the sadly bad DLC(i like it though, bad in a way that the bugs and glitches ruin it.)
We need more ONE handed axe variety and Expensive swords, thats the main i guess. An about 2 h axe Rollo time, totally true fella! 8/10 little fellas who play this and say WHERE IS THE 2 H axe on forum  is because they watch Vikings(like the serie but things might be discerned) and love ROLLO s2s2s2

nacholoko16 said:
mauhur said:

We need more ONE handed axe variety and Expensive swords, thats the main i guess. An about 2 h axe Rollo time, totally true fella! 8/10 little fellas who play this and say WHERE IS THE 2 H axe on forum  is because they watch Vikings(like the serie but things might be discerned) and love ROLLO s2s2s2
Agh man.. Two Handed Axe is not because Rollo in because History Channels Vikings... I start to think you are joking me. -_-
It was true that men and women used the axes with two hands to control it better, you would get much more agility out of it than with a shield, but than you would have terrible defense to any missiles and everyone knows, it doesn't matter how strong and unafraid you are, you would like to block or dodge an arrow or any weapon so you won't get hurt, most soldiers don't like to get hurt at all.

nacholoko16 said:
mauhur said:

And why exactly you have to state your position as a pure fact? There were two-handed axes in Viking's age, even if very rarely used in battle! Two handed axes should be in the game!

wildyracing said:
nacholoko16 said:
mauhur said:

And why exactly you have to state your position as a pure fact? There were two-handed axes in Viking's age, even if very rarely used in battle! Two handed axes should be in the game!
Did you study something some time fella? 2 H axe werent from that age, 2 H axe are from 11th...

It is not because "I want it" it would fit more historical, there are many facts that people liked to use axes with two hands since its heavier than most weapons since the weight is on the axehead, so it was really common that people did not use shields with some axes, those that carried a shield would probably buy or make a smaller axe.

Edit:11th century was the axe century, this doesn't mean that in 9th century there were no axes found to be used with two hands..

No one can say with full certainty how things were, its all educated guesses at best. I dont think two handed axes are very common during this time period from my readings, at least in sagas they are not very common, and rarely did anyone pick to go to battle shieldless. I agree that they should be in the game but like you said maybe a proto  or "grandfather" version and probably uncommon.

mauhur said:
nacholoko16 said:
Ok, lets make the easy way http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dane_Axe
GG, i don't think you have readed my post earlier on..

Nice choice to show up a fact, wikipedia -_-
If you realize that even wikipediua knows that 2H axe isnt from the game time... imagine a high deep research about it? So its very very very clear there is no 2H axe. The DEVS and envolvers on the game say is a try to eb a historical game so  ROLLO friends no 2H axe.

arteofwar said:
No one can say with full certainty how things were, its all educated guesses at best. I dont think two handed axes are very common during this time period from my readings, at least in sagas they are not very common, and rarely did anyone pick to go to battle shieldless.
I sadly have to disagree, Either way i got your point :smile:

nacholoko16 said:
If you realize that even wikipediua knows that 2H axe isnt from the game time... imagine a high deep research about it? So its very very very clear there is no 2H axe. The DEVS and envolvers on the game say is a try to eb a historical game so  ROLLO friends no 2H axe.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but you sound exceptionally certain about something from an era that is notorious for it's sparse archaeological evidence and few/suspect written texts - it's one of the things that makes the era so interesting and tempting for historical fiction because relatively little is 'known' for certain.

I personally find it difficult to imagine that 'holding an axe with both hands' was not invented yet xD you may say that a certain type or style wasnt in use yet, but that's about it.

Sta
Heskeytime said:
nacholoko16 said:

I'm not disagreeing with you, but you sound exceptionally certain about something from an era that is notorious for it's sparse archaeological evidence and few/suspect written texts - it's one of the things that makes the era so interesting and tempting for historical fiction because relatively little is 'known' for certain.

I personally find it difficult to imagine that 'holding an axe with both hands' was not invented yet xD you may say that a certain type or style wasnt in use yet, but that's about it.
Well we cant take this discussion to the Philosophy side or maybe to the hipotetical place, werent found any 2 h axe but i guess we must put some 2 h axe to the Rollo friends stay in peace with the comunitty... they are startng to get very dangerous on forum o_O

Heskeytime said:
nacholoko16 said:

mauhur said:
thats reasonable
arteofwar said:
No one can say with full certainty how things were, its all educated guesses at best. I dont think two handed axes are very common during this time period from my readings, at least in sagas they are not very common, and rarely did anyone pick to go to battle shieldless.
I sadly have to disagree, Either way i got your point :smile:
Have you read many sagas? I know they cannot be taken to be fully accurate, but no can until someone invents a time machine. Even when axes where used with two hands in the sagas it was because it was not a battle but a feud, and they were not always prepped for battle but fought with what they had on them. People did not always carry shield with them unless they where expecting trouble, so if you had a axe and no shield naturally u would use both hands unless it was a small axe, but that still is not thoses bayeux tapestry dane axes.

Back
Top Bottom