Mount & Blade: Warband - Viking Conquest DLC (Release Date: 11th December)

Users who are viewing this thread

Delvestius said:
MadocComadrin said:
I'm not from the Sage's Guild, but I'm pretty sure this is a myth.

Comparitively speaking he's right, only nobles and wealthy men would have had the capital needed to fund the smithing of a sword, a good one anyways. Axes and spears were the weapons of the commoner.
An extremely well made sword, perhaps; however, the same could be said of an extremely well made axe, falchion, mace, etc. What are the specifics of making a sword that are so different or esoteric that the cost of a sword would be driven so high? The material and amount are comparable to other similarly-sized weapons, and the shape is relatively simple.

Swords were used by common folk too, they just didn't wear them around and about as a display-piece.

mauhur said:
kalarhan said:
mauhur said:
Its their design that failed in the release though, and this is my suggestion to make it better than it is..

Just cause you disagree with something you cant say it failed.

You dont like it. They decided based on historical evidence and their own judgment that it would not fit the game design.

If they decide to revise the design and add it... ok. If you make a suggestion based on a real argument... ok. Complain and name calling will not help... at all.

Go ahead: make a suggestion. Explain that you want a multiplayer option for magical weapons. Should include a 2H axe with lightning effects. You can ask for anything. Just explain why. Who knows, you may get their attention for a new item.
stop defending them with your life man, just don't. I never asked for magical weapons, did you ever see me say: I WANT MAGICAL WEAPONS! no. please just don't make up stuff and say that i did not explain while i perfectly did, saying that two handed axes were common, unlike two handed swords, it is based on the evidence that they might even used two handed axes of chopping wood and not war, hell even socked axes.

Also i spoke that for everybody, i am the only one that waited for two handed axes,

Forget about my post. It was a example on a suggestion that you, me or anyone could make.

Just come out with a well made post. Add your points. If you have historical evidence, point it out. Show us why your ideia is good or fun. Open a new dialog with the community and ... maybe... the devs. That way your new feature can may even be added to the main game... or maybe a mod...

Arguments, links, details, reasonable explanation. Just that.

MadocComadrin said:
Delvestius said:
MadocComadrin said:

Comparitively speaking he's right, only nobles and wealthy men would have had the capital needed to fund the smithing of a sword, a good one anyways. Axes and spears were the weapons of the commoner.
An extremely well made sword, perhaps; however, the same could be said of an extremely well made axe, falchion, mace, etc. What are the specifics of making a sword that are so different or esoteric that the cost of a sword would be driven so high? The material and amount are comparable to other similarly-sized weapons, and the shape is relatively simple.

Swords were used by common folk too, they just didn't wear them around and about as a display-piece.

No one would pay for a ****ty sword, you mine as well just use an axe at that point. Of course ****ty swords were made, but even still they existed in relative scaricty in Scandinavia during the Viking age.

I think it should be pretty obvious how the smithing of a sword would take much longer than a spear or axehead..

MadocComadrin said:
Delvestius said:
MadocComadrin said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_Age_arms_and_armour

"A wealthy Viking would likely have a complete ensemble of a spear, one or two javelins, a wooden shield, and either a battle axe or a sword. The very richest might have a helmet, other armour is thought to have been limited to the nobility and their professional warriors. The average farmer was likely limited to a spear, shield, and perhaps a common axe or a large knife. Some would bring their hunting bows to use in the opening stages of battle, as well."

Axe or Sword. It is not easy to carry equipment.
Some would have helmets.
Armour was nobility or professional warriors.

That talks about defensive armies in Britania. Levies were made of those farmers.

"The Viking Age sword was for single-handed use to be combined with a shield, with a double edged blade length of up to 90 cm"

Small swords. No 2H ones.

"Swords were very costly to make, and a sign of high status."

"Owning a sword was a matter of high honour."

You asked what would make swords soo expensive or rare:
"Swords could take up to a month to forge and were of such high value that they were passed on from generation to generation"

Most people would take swords as loot from battle. Instead of paying to craft one.

" the "killing" of swords"
They would break a sword and buried it with its owner. Not let it there to be robbed.

And famous warlords would have famous swords (named swords).

An axe is alot easier to craft. Alot harder to break.

About axes that is quite interesting too:
"The double-bitted axes depicted in modern "Viking" art are likely pure fantasy."

Axes would be used as a throw weapon. Or a tool to break a shield wall as it allows to grab and pull the enemy shield.

Nice reading if anyone wants to see more about armour, helmets and stuff!

MadocComadrin said:
What are the specifics of making a sword that are so different or esoteric that the cost of a sword would be driven so high? The material and amount are comparable to other similarly-sized weapons, and the shape is relatively simple.

Much larger quantities of iron, iron that was rarely found in Europe at the time, for a start. The material and amount isn't comparable, it's vastly different. You're ignoring a ****-ton of research and history here Madoc, I expected more really - go and have a read around bud.

Here is it.
Armagan said:
This was our first release as an independent developer and apparently we still have a long way to go and much to learn. I want to apologize to our players and especially the Brytenwalda team for this problematic release. It was our duty as Taleworlds and of course my duty as the manager to make this release as smooth and satisfactory as possible. Unfortunately we failed in this. However, I want everyone to rest assured that we will work very hard in the coming days together with the Byrtenwalda team to fix all the problems and make sure that players will get a great gaming experience and fully enjoy Viking Conquest's innovative features and excellent storyline. 

White pony needs to be fixed, looks whiter than a unicorn ghost O.O
Also some of the puddles need to be fixed as well, they are overflowed and very odly square like for water.
(i think puddles were in ribe? or the city in the faction that is below danmark

qmihW.jpg
2twef.jpg
EnfP-.jpg
1_Pmc.jpg

Leifr Eiríksson said:
MadocComadrin said:
What are the specifics of making a sword that are so different or esoteric that the cost of a sword would be driven so high? The material and amount are comparable to other similarly-sized weapons, and the shape is relatively simple.

Much larger quantities of iron, iron that was rarely found in Europe at the time, for a start. The material and amount isn't comparable, it's vastly different. You're ignoring a ****-ton of research and history here Madoc, I expected more really - go and have a read around bud.
I suppose it depends on what you're definition of sword is. If it involves intricate restrictions on guard and blade length, tang and constraints on material quality, then yeah, they probably didn't own swords. To me, and many others, if it looks like a sword, works like a sword and smells like a sword, it's a sword. That is to say, if a commoner had constructed a functional, sword-like object from "lesser" materials, then what would it be? A large knife? I would consider the distinction between the two arbitrary.

I never mentioned a dagger.
That is to say, if a commoner had constructed a functional, sword-like object from "lesser" materials, then what would it be?

Also, keep in mind that I'm not arguing that the sword was used as any form of main weaponry by commoner-based militants.

You quoted a post about the quantities of iron needed for a sword and retorted that it depends on your definition of "sword", arguing that things like "guard and blade length" don't enter the equation for you. Then you mentioned a "large knife". Similarly, a dagger is a "sword-like object" as per your definition.

Unless you're talking of bronze or stone swords, I don't quite get what you're arguing. A sword that used poor quality iron would be cheaper, but that doesn't mean it'd be cheap, and it wouldn't be very useful anyway.

I like the DLC but it is pretty unplayable, it crashes quite a bit just from hitting the tab button to exit a menu. Lost several hours of game play even though I have auto save checked.

MadocComadrin said:
I suppose it depends on what you're definition of sword is. If it involves intricate restrictions on guard and blade length, tang and constraints on material quality, then yeah, they probably didn't own swords. To me, and many others, if it looks like a sword, works like a sword and smells like a sword, it's a sword. That is to say, if a commoner had constructed a functional, sword-like object from "lesser" materials, then what would it be? A large knife? I would consider the distinction between the two arbitrary.

Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_sword
And sword chapter from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_Age_arms_and_armour

Keep in mind the year the game plays on. Hint: its not 1000, 1100, 1200....

Back
Top Bottom