Mount&Blade Warband | OS X and Linux Support

Users who are viewing this thread

Does anyone know how to enable edit mode on the mac launcher? I am trying to get the whole strange set but I for some reason cant see edit mode in configure.

Romanum said:
Does anyone know how to enable edit mode on the mac launcher? I am trying to get the whole strange set but I for some reason cant see edit mode in configure.

They haven't implemented edit mode in the Linux and Mac OS X variants.
Shouldn't have been that difficult, but they just weren't interested. That's how capitalism works.

Use something like Winebottler for modding the game, cumbersome, I know.

Is there a way to use my current serial number with the mac version (instead of the winebottled)? I'd hate to buy the same game for the same machine, twice.

yasonk said:
Is there a way to use my current serial number with the mac version (instead of the winebottled)? I'd hate to buy the same game for the same machine, twice.

If you have a legit serial number than yes, you should probably be able to. I suggest getting it on steam.

Jacques Cartier said:
yasonk said:

If you have a legit serial number than yes, you should probably be able to. I suggest getting it on steam.

Yes I have a legit serial that I received form Teleworlds, but Steam requires me to make a payment before I can download. Did everyone pay twice because I can't find this info anywhere online?

I'm not sure if this was reported, but I'll post here.

I recently bought Mount and Blade: Warband on GOG, and tried running the Linux version (1.16:cool:. I got all kind of weird errors in the loading screen, like

Code:
STR NOT FOUND ui_processing_ini_file

And when the game loads, all the text in the UI shows similar errors. I suspected it has something to do with my large XFS partition (1+TB), since a lot of games on Linux have such kind of bugs.

So I created a small loop partition (also XFS) and run the game from there. It worked like a charm! Can you please fix this?

Common issues with XFS include:

* Forgetting to pass -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 to gcc (this is usually relevant for 32 bit games on 64 bit systems, which is the case with Warband and my OS).
* Not knowing that XFS doesn't support dirent::d_type and tripping over DT_UNKNOW in readdir_r

Usually one of those two is a source of such problems. Can you please direct this to developers? I have links which describe these issues in more detail, but the forum doesn't let me to posting them.

Thanks!

Bumping for interest.

I am not a Mac user, simply trying to fix the incompatibility of mods on a Mac for those users who do. I have noticed the Napoleonic Wars folder has the GLShaders folder as does the CommonRes folder now (plus GLShadersOptimized folder for Viking Conquest). I have looked into why some mods work and do not work on a Mac computer by feedback. I wonder if adding the GLShaders folder to a mod folder will somehow help stop the errors, white textures in-game and all.

usnavy30 said:
I wonder if adding the GLShaders folder to a mod folder will somehow help stop the errors, white textures in-game and all.
No: the reason some mods have white models is because they are using a modified version of the Warband shader file, with new shaders created for those materials. The Mac and Linux versions use a different shader format, so while the official Warband shaders are converted across, the additional mod shaders are not defined, resulting in blank white models. I suspect most mod creators don't know how to convert from HLSL to the GLSL shader format for Mac and Linux, or they don't care. It is not a problem with those operating systems, since running the game using Wine (which is what I have done for many years) works fine with additional shaders.

My friend and I bought the game independently, but now when we try to play together when one of us accesses a server, it kicks the other one off.  I've read through other solutions, and the general consensus is that on a Windows computer, we would both need to go into regedit and delete a certain folder.  However, one of us is on a Windows computer and is thus able to do so, while the other is on a Mac.  Is there a way to fix this problem without both computers operating on Windows?

I'm getting regular, but unpredictable crashes playing on OS X El Capitan. The majority of the time I do not get a crash report from OS X, I just find myself on the desktop as if I had shut the program down.

Crash report:
Crashed Thread:        8  com.apple.NSEventThread

Exception Type:        EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes:      0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Thread 8 Crashed:: com.apple.NSEventThread
0  com.apple.CoreFoundation      0x95eab30a __CFRunLoopServiceMachPort + 410
1  com.apple.CoreFoundation      0x95eaa651 __CFRunLoopRun + 1521
2  com.apple.CoreFoundation      0x95ea9df6 CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 390
3  com.apple.CoreFoundation      0x95ea9c5b CFRunLoopRunInMode + 123
4  com.apple.AppKit              0x923fffa2 _NSEventThread + 291
5  libsystem_pthread.dylib      0x98513794 _pthread_body + 138
6  libsystem_pthread.dylib      0x9851370a _pthread_start + 155
7  libsystem_pthread.dylib      0x98510fa6 thread_start + 34

System specs
Model: MacBookPro8,3, BootROM MBP81.0047.B2A, 4 processors, Intel Core i7, 2.4 GHz, 16 GB, SMC 1.70f6
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Built-In
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6770M, AMD Radeon HD 6770M, PCIe, 1024 MB

shmerl said:
I'm not sure if this was reported, but I'll post here.

I recently bought Mount and Blade: Warband on GOG, and tried running the Linux version (1.16:cool:. I got all kind of weird errors in the loading screen, like

Code:
STR NOT FOUND ui_processing_ini_file

And when the game loads, all the text in the UI shows similar errors. I suspected it has something to do with my large XFS partition (1+TB), since a lot of games on Linux have such kind of bugs.

So I created a small loop partition (also XFS) and run the game from there. It worked like a charm! Can you please fix this?

Common issues with XFS include:

* Forgetting to pass -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 to gcc (this is usually relevant for 32 bit games on 64 bit systems, which is the case with Warband and my OS).
* Not knowing that XFS doesn't support dirent::d_type and tripping over DT_UNKNOW in readdir_r

Usually one of those two is a source of such problems. Can you please direct this to developers? I have links which describe these issues in more detail, but the forum doesn't let me to posting them.

Thanks!

This problem exists for all non-English languages. Sloppy porting job I'd say.

morarmis said:
I'm getting regular, but unpredictable crashes playing on OS X El Capitan. The majority of the time I do not get a crash report from OS X, I just find myself on the desktop as if I had shut the program down.

Crash report:
Crashed Thread:        8  com.apple.NSEventThread

Exception Type:        EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes:      0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Thread 8 Crashed:: com.apple.NSEventThread
0  com.apple.CoreFoundation      0x95eab30a __CFRunLoopServiceMachPort + 410
1  com.apple.CoreFoundation      0x95eaa651 __CFRunLoopRun + 1521
2  com.apple.CoreFoundation      0x95ea9df6 CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 390
3  com.apple.CoreFoundation      0x95ea9c5b CFRunLoopRunInMode + 123
4  com.apple.AppKit              0x923fffa2 _NSEventThread + 291
5  libsystem_pthread.dylib      0x98513794 _pthread_body + 138
6  libsystem_pthread.dylib      0x9851370a _pthread_start + 155
7  libsystem_pthread.dylib      0x98510fa6 thread_start + 34

System specs
Model: MacBookPro8,3, BootROM MBP81.0047.B2A, 4 processors, Intel Core i7, 2.4 GHz, 16 GB, SMC 1.70f6
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Built-In
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6770M, AMD Radeon HD 6770M, PCIe, 1024 MB

It seems to be okay on Mavericks but not El Capitan. The game predictably quits after 2 to 3 hours of play. I tried to play in both windowed and full-screen  modes and both display the same behaviour. Anybody in the know out there who can tell us if Taleworlds is working on a fix?

Well....

Seems dead here in Linuxville for Warband, but I updated my install yesterday and everything seems to work fine (including TF2) except Mount and Blade: Warband.

If anyone has any clue. When I try to start it, it shows running, syncing, and stops in the Steam console. No splash screen. No nothing. I moved Steam back to normal and then to Beta again which seems to be the standard way of fixing something wrong with the Steam app. I suppose I will eventually try uninstalling and reinstalling M&B, but that certainly is a chore.

I tried running it by starting mb_warband_linux in home/shane/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/MountBlade Warband. Nothing

Trying it from the command line - ./mb_warband_linux: error while loading shared libraries: libGLEW.so.1.10: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Any idea why this would be gone of if it has anything to do with anything anywhere?

ShaneRoach said:
Well....

Seems dead here in Linuxville for Warband, but I updated my install yesterday and everything seems to work fine (including TF2) except Mount and Blade: Warband.

If anyone has any clue. When I try to start it, it shows running, syncing, and stops in the Steam console. No splash screen. No nothing. I moved Steam back to normal and then to Beta again which seems to be the standard way of fixing something wrong with the Steam app. I suppose I will eventually try uninstalling and reinstalling M&B, but that certainly is a chore.

I tried running it by starting mb_warband_linux in home/shane/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/MountBlade Warband. Nothing

Trying it from the command line - ./mb_warband_linux: error while loading shared libraries: libGLEW.so.1.10: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Any idea why this would be gone of if it has anything to do with anything anywhere?

9L7TtXI.png

Also, if you want to run Warband from the terminal or a custom shortcut (without having to open the Steam client) you need to prefix the Steam Runtime libraries so that they get loaded with the game:
Code:
sh -c `cd ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/MountBlade\ Warband/ && env LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$HOME/.steam/steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu:$HOME/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/lib/i386-linux-gnu:." ./mb_warband_linux`

To run the Linux config tool, so that you can change module and settings:
Code:
sh -c `cd ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/MountBlade\ Warband/ && env LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$HOME/.steam/steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu:$HOME/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/lib/i386-linux-gnu:." ./mbw_config_linux`

Hope that helps!

Trying the above with some minor typo/path corrections (possibly specific to Debian?), I still get

Code:
sh -c `cd ~/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/MountBlade\ Warband/ && env LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$HOME/.steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu:$HOME/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/lib/i386-linux-gnu:." ./mb_warband_linux`

./mb_warband_linux: error while loading shared libraries: libgcrypt.so.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

It seems for some reason a ton of library files have disappeared from this folder that this game wants. Worked fine about a month ago.

Does anyone have a list of them anywhere?

P.S. I added the following files to /.steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu:$HOME/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/lib/i386-linux-gnu

libcurl-gnutls.so.4 libGLEW.so.1.10 libSDL2-2.0.so.0 libtxc_dxtn.so libwayland-client.so.0 libwayland-cursor.so.0 libwayland-egl.so.1 libxkbcommon.so.0

This was based off of advice from the following link

http://www.gog.com/forum/mount_blade_series/error_while_loading_shared_libraries_libglewso110_cannot_open_shared_object_file

More or less reinforcing my suspicion this is to do with missing librabry files. But again, I have upgraded and downgraded Steam, so I am not sure why my file list should be incomplete. If I uninstal and reinstal steam, do I end up having to do the same for all the games?
Thanks for your help.

ShaneRoach said:
Trying the above with some minor typo/path corrections (possibly specific to Debian?), I still get

Code:
sh -c `cd ~/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/MountBlade\ Warband/ && env LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$HOME/.steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu:$HOME/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/lib/i386-linux-gnu:." ./mb_warband_linux`

./mb_warband_linux: error while loading shared libraries: libgcrypt.so.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

It seems for some reason a ton of library files have disappeared from this folder that this game wants. Worked fine about a month ago.

Does anyone have a list of them anywhere?

P.S. I added the following files to /.steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu:$HOME/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/lib/i386-linux-gnu

libcurl-gnutls.so.4 libGLEW.so.1.10 libSDL2-2.0.so.0 libtxc_dxtn.so libwayland-client.so.0 libwayland-cursor.so.0 libwayland-egl.so.1 libxkbcommon.so.0

This was based off of advice from the following link

http://www.gog.com/forum/mount_blade_series/error_while_loading_shared_libraries_libglewso110_cannot_open_shared_object_file

More or less reinforcing my suspicion this is to do with missing librabry files. But again, I have upgraded and downgraded Steam, so I am not sure why my file list should be incomplete. If I uninstal and reinstal steam, do I end up having to do the same for all the games?
Thanks for your help.

All of those libraries should be included in the Steam Runtime and attached to the dynamic library path by adding them to the
Code:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH
variable, do a 
Code:
$ find -name *libgcrypt.so.11*
in your terminal of choice and see it by yourself. I don't know what changes have you done to the snippets I provided, but those commands should launch the game without the Steam service bloat.

By the way, I'm using Arch Linux, but the Steam Runtime is there precisely to provide uniformity with a set of common baseline libraries, no matter the distro the game is being run on.

libgcrypt.so.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

This file is IN the folder. It is in the same folder I added libGLEW.so.1.10 to (/home/USER/.steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/lib/i386-linux-gnu)  so why it's now finding that file but not another one that is in the exact same folder I cannot begin to fathom.

Sometimes I really do just hate computers.

The changes I made to the commands you gave were to simple things like capitalization of "SteamApps" and for whatever reason the path is slightly different on my computer for .steam

LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$HOME/.steam/steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu

On my computer, the .steam/steam file does not contain the ubuntu12_32 folder. Rather, it is simply in .steam. .local/share/ has no Steam folder at all, which may be the issue, but in the end I would have thought that if the files were anywhere in either path we'd be good to go.

I don't know much about the process here. This game used to "just work", you know? lol

Ok, well, added -

.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/lib/i386-linux-gnu

and then transferred all the libraries from

$HOME/.steam/steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu

including all the ones I added from the link above.

M&B now works from the command line using the command you gave me, though it still refuses to start from the steam control panel.

Steam is SNAFU for some reason on my compy. Oh well. thanks again for the help.

ShaneRoach said:
Well....

I don't know if you've fixed this yet, but some solutions might be found by googling "mount and blade warband reddit linux not working"
I've just registered so I can't post links yet, but /r/linux_gaming has some answer late last year to this problem.

Swyter said:
The Last Days working on Linux right now

Hi Swyter, I almost jumped out of my seat when I saw your spoiler. Is this complete? I'm assuming not...(I downloaded the latest nightlies and I can't see any GLSL stuff). I had a look at the Trello and it looks to be in progress. I would be very very excited to have your mod ported to Linux, this would make my day. Where will you announce it when it's done?

Back
Top Bottom