Mount & Blade Nord Challenge

Users who are viewing this thread

Hey. After playing few mods, some of them cool, some weird and some pointless.. I decided to play Native again but with few additional rules:

- max. riding skill: 3
- weapons: throwing, axes and pole arms
- troops only from villages belonging to Nords, no (non-Nordic) rescued prisoners, no mercenaries and no companions
- only Nordic looking armor - no plate, only Nordic helmets
- joining Nords faction is the only option
- good AI
- normal speed
- battle size min. 90
- no damage reports
- oh and no saving without quitting

And I find this game very challenging.

Do you make such rules yourself? Do you want to try my challenge so we could compare results? That would be cool.

I've been playing Nords a lot (not with rules that strict) and I like them because you can do a lot of foot-fighting yourself in the battles and sieges are easy.

I also have a game where it's only me and my companions. I am not a lord, I only serve as mercenary (att I am in service of the Vaegir Kingdom). Occasionally, I hire a troop of mercenaries for a military campaign. I just love fighting in big battles where you have almost no control over, especially when you have dismounted, duelling a lord while the battle rages around you.

I like to do that kind of thing with all sorts of different factions, excluding the Rhodoks because I hate them.  And yes, I get where you're coming from. It's not easy.

yes it is but it's also much more fun, it demands being better in strategy and tactics and let me get into this game better. When I charged with my knights before I didn't really noticed some things. I like this way better but I can hardly keep my army alive :wink:

Tiberius Auxilius said:
I like to do that kind of thing with all sorts of different factions, excluding the Rhodoks because I hate them.  And yes, I get where you're coming from. It's not easy.

I recently finished a game using Rhodoks because I never liked them, now however I enjoy the twang of crossbows and the clash of spears, I didn't entirely use Rhodock units in late game, just due to requirements of the battles, but I stayed true to Rhodock battle style (foot troops, spears and crossbows)

It was a tough game, And sadly although enjoyable it highlighted to me how underpowered crossbows become in late game :sad: too slow reloading each shot. I remember one castle assault where in the act of reloading my crossbow, the enemy (Vaegir's) flanked around the cover I had hidden behind, and before I had the bolt loaded (I'm still stood still at this stage) I was hit five times in quick succession by javelins / longbow and fell unconscious.

and yes, silly self imposed rules do make the game fun.

I've been playing on max possible difficulty(read:the most realistic; even removed the health bar) and battlesizer at 200 since not much after I started playing. It feels like a drug :lol:
Hmm, rules... I hate polearms, so I never pick them; if I get a staff in the arena, I just leave. Similar thing for shields. I don't block(best defense is offense :lol:), and so things definitely go bad if I don't manage to dodge that battle axe(though I've noticed that a high Ironflesh helps a lot). Never go without a thick helmet(get too many headshots from crossbowmen). Never fight in heavy armor(slows me down so badly that I can't dodge and weave, and not only do I have to use a shield with heavy armor, but I lose my speed-based damage bonus :evil:). Little things like that that make the game fun :razz:

Oh, and since recently, I don't fight on horseback. From my now extensive foot experience(Vaegir marksmen are the ****, man!) I've come to consider the reliance on a horse to punch through the enemy lines an act of cowardice(just like the use of shields and polearms). So basically, the thing I hate the most in the game is cavalry with shields and lances(and infantry with shields and polearms; guess which faction I hate the most after the Nords and Swadians :lol:), as I consider them utmost cowards.

Kleidophoros said:
You are fighting on a horse and you think thats challenging..?

Well yes I do with other rules included. I use horse mostly to look around the battlefield and set up troops positions. I admit that without horse it would be too frustrating for me... I'm used to horse archery with knights by my side. So yes I do think it's challenging.

diavel said:
Kleidophoros said:
You are fighting on a horse and you think thats challenging..?

Well yes I do with other rules included. I use horse mostly to look around the battlefield and set up troops positions. I admit that without horse it would be too frustrating for me... I'm used to horse archery with knights by my side. So yes I do think it's challenging.
then you know not what a challenge is. Stay with your troops and fight alongside them. Only when you start winning battles this way have you beaten a challenge.

Challenge? I play Nords with these rules all the time:

- Nordic swords, throwing axes, one handed axes, two handed axes.... did I mention axes?
- Nordic armor and helms only
- normal AI
- no saving without quitting
- only ride a horse to the frontlines (the faster I get there the more heads I can land my axe in), dismount to start cleaving foes in two.
- as many companions as I can get, with small complement of elite Nord-only troops.

Needless to say, as a Nord commander I MUST take care of my troops, constantly give formation/behaviour orders and stick close to them, as my own survival depends alot on them.
Getting cut off and surrounded by enemy troops while of foot is not conducive to living through a melee.

You just can't get that kind of experience if you're always galloping off to chase an enemy scout while leaving your infantry to their own devices.

No I wont. How do you manage to win with 20 nord archers, 10 nord veterans and without more/less 10 athletics skill when you're outnumbered and surrounded by mounted Vaegirs? I won't believe you can with settings I mentioned until you can somehow prove it to me.

LynX said:
You just can't get that kind of experience if you're always galloping off to chase an enemy scout while leaving your infantry to their own devices.

I usually set up archers on some hill, infantry close to them and ride to look in a face of enemy and at least slightly scatter them around. If I fight alone my  poor hunter gets knock out by some arrows or throwing stuff so I have to fight alone counting on my troops charging speed. And I always have to have an eye on my troops.

diavel said:
No I wont. How do you manage to win with 20 nord archers, 10 nord veterans and without more/less 10 athletics skill when you're outnumbered and surrounded by mounted Vaegirs? I won't believe you can with settings I mentioned until you can somehow prove it to me.

LynX said:

I usually set up archers on some hill, infantry close to them and ride to look in a face of enemy and at least slightly scatter them around. If I fight alone my  poor hunter gets knock out by some arrows or throwing stuff so I have to fight alone counting on my troops charging speed. And I always have to have an eye on my troops.

20 nord archers and 10 nord veterans? only 30 troops? :?: Your melee troop complements should be much more than that. For dealing with cavalry charges as a Nord, positioning your troops on a hill and having them hold formations is quite effective, keep pulling them back up when they stray into less favourable terrain.

The hardest enemy to fight for Nords (at least for me) is khergits, since they love their horse archers, but again, hills and other difficult terrain evens out that disadvantage enough for a good chance of victory. Its all in fighting in terrain of your choosing. :cool:

well yes 30 able to fight troops is what I usually have with 40 troop limit. of course when I'll level up it will be easier. I haven't fought Khergits this way yet but Nords are in war with all their (our) three neighbors.

Back
Top Bottom