Mount&Blade Is Not Only A Strategy Game with Battle and Historical Elements!

Users who are viewing this thread

Conquerrr

Veteran
Obviously Mount&Blade is a strategy game with battle and historical elements, and I hope Bannerlord is better at this than Warband, but at the same time Mount&Blade is also a sandbox role-playing action game!
Just like Warband, I hope to experience the fun of playing a role in the sandbox world to explore and grow, which hasn't been really experienced in Bannerlord(or not enough). Otherwise, there is no essential difference with the Crusader Kings 3 Mod With Mount & Blade II Bannerlord Battles .I think developers and many players have underrated this point.
2021-03-241106577e305.png

Last edited:
Obviously Mount&Blade is a strategy game with battle and historical elements, and I hope Bannerlord is better at this than Warband, but at the same time Mount&Blade is also a sandbox role-playing action game!
Just like Warband, I hope to experience the fun of playing a role in the sandbox world to explore and grow, which hasn't been really experienced in Bannerlord(or not enough). Otherwise, there is no essential difference with the Crusader Kings 3 Mod With Mount & Blade II Bannerlord Battles .I think developers and many players have underrated this point.
Well what kind of roleplaying do you mean? Crusader Kings has roleplaying too. You can be an honourable person trying to make things right. Or you can be a bloody murderer assasinating everybody in your way.

If you mean quests you go on to earn money and experience, I agree with you that these are still lacking in some regard. But these are early gameplay only. Once you are a lord these don't really fit your role in the game and usually aren't worth your time anymore. (Rightfully so because since when is a lord bothered with getting some resource for some artisan in town personally?)

However, I think that espacially the "CK3" element of roleplaying is lacking in the game. And I think that is the most important part of the experience since you spend most of your time in the mid to late game not the early.

Whats missing are meaningfull character traits, feasts, the ability to make proper friends and enemies with consequences, intrigues like provokations of war or rebellions and so on and so on.

Yes I do think the game is lacking in roleplaying (thats why it gets boring after a few hours) but it does so in "the ck3 way".

Bannerlord completely ruined its roleplay potential when it forced you to be a "noble" from the first minute of gameplay, whether you like it or not. I hate this change with burning passion, as it completely invalidated several role playing styles and options.

Well what kind of roleplaying do you mean? Crusader Kings has roleplaying too. You can be an honourable person trying to make things right. Or you can be a bloody murderer assasinating everybody in your way.

If you mean quests you go on to earn money and experience, I agree with you that these are still lacking in some regard. But these are early gameplay only. Once you are a lord these don't really fit your role in the game and usually aren't worth your time anymore. (Rightfully so because since when is a lord bothered with getting some resource for some artisan in town personally?)

However, I think that espacially the "CK3" element of roleplaying is lacking in the game. And I think that is the most important part of the experience since you spend most of your time in the mid to late game not the early.

Whats missing are meaningfull character traits, feasts, the ability to make proper friends and enemies with consequences, intrigues like provokations of war or rebellions and so on and so on.

Yes I do think the game is lacking in roleplaying (thats why it gets boring after a few hours) but it does so in "the ck3 way".
In fact, I enjoy the feeling of starting from scratch in the early and middle stages, and the later games will only make me feel bored, so does warband. To solve the boredom in the later stage of the game, we really need to supplement the CK strategy, but at present, some of warband's risk-taking methods have not been completely restored, leading to the boredom faster than before.
Perhaps these projects can be put off until later, but they must not be ignored.

I don't really understand what you mean by "playing a role". If you mean a role like in many RPGs (Elder Scrolls, The Witcher, etc...), I have to completely disagree.
In M&B you play basically just one role: a person who raises from the bottom to the top of the medieval pyramid, leading armies, fighting his/her enemies and try to rule all the world.

However, Bannerlord lacks a lot of features, surely we all hope in the future there'll be update that will improve gameplay in every aspect.

I don't really understand what you mean by "playing a role ". If you mean a role like in many RPGs (Elder Scrolls, The Witcher, etc...), I have to completely disagree.
In M&B you play basically just one role: a person who raises from the bottom to the top of the medieval pyramid, leading armies, fighting his/her enemies and try to rule all the world.

However, Bannerlord lacks a lot of features, surely we all hope in the future there'll be update that will improve gameplay in every aspect.
I can't say exactly what it is. Maybe it's character building or game atmosphere... All in all, it feels like something is missing.

I hope that players who have the same feelings with me can have a better summary and expression.

I don't really understand what you mean by "playing a role". If you mean a role like in many RPGs (Elder Scrolls, The Witcher, etc...), I have to completely disagree.

However, Bannerlord lacks a lot of features, surely we all hope in the future there'll be update that will improve gameplay in every aspect.ll split into the early and late game: for the early game this would probably be more quests. Ideally ones that link multiple gamemechanics together and are a bit randomized in their details so you don't play the same quest over and over again.

I don't know either what he means specifically but I share the feeling.

In the early game it is mostly quests. What is lacking are quests in which you can make moral / individual choices. For exemple solving an issue by force, talking or rougery. If the quests had randomized details they would also far less resemble a grind as every quest you take is at least a bit new even if you encountered the blueprint for it already. Through these actions you could gain / loose traits which would give you relationship boni or mali depending of the character traits of the person judging you.

For the lategame this would be for me relationship building through time spent together (feasts!) / fullfilling tasks and politics through conspiracy or rebellion. Fleshing out character traits is a must have here since the lords currently feel all alike.

Most RPGs don't really allow role playing. They allow you to customise your character but otherwise you just follow a linear storyline. Some games allow you to pick a choice in certain quests, but it's still just binary. What if I decide against both options?

So for me, an open ended sandbox is the true RPG and Mount & Blade is one of the best in that regard. I do agree with OP that the current state is lacking though. Marriage should be more than 2 dialogue lines. Generally the game needs more (generic) dialogue, systems for this already are in place AFAIK but it's clearly unfinished. We also need more and better activities, special tournaments, feasts, hunting, criminal gameplay etc. The game lacks player agency.

For the lategame this would be for me relationship building through time spent together (feasts!) / fullfilling tasks and politics through conspiracy or rebellion. Fleshing out character traits is a must have here since the lords currently feel all alike.
They don't just feel alike, they are alike. Other than some smiles in the dialogue screen (which would be a cool idea if it was a few orders of magnitude less pronounced, damn) and occasional influence towards your clan in fief voting, I'm yet to notice anything separating one clan from another. As for lords from one clan, they are virtually irrelevant, as they share relations and their personalities don't matter jack.

Adding feasts wouldn't give them the spice we seek, I'm afraid, for they cease to be characters with current traits and relationship mechanics.

Seeing as most RPGs nowadays aren't actual RPGs and have a very limited degree of roleplaying, open world games like The Elder Scrolls and such are beloved because the the potential for the roleplay is there.

The sandbox aspects helps Mount & Blade in that regard in a huge way since you can go out and do pretty much anything.
Problem is Bannerlord is way too shallow and empty, its lacking in too many ways, there isn't anything to do other than fight.
Dialogue is painfully generic, traits don't matter and are completely ignoreable, there's just not enough to do. Nothing happens.

Warband never really had much going for rp in a sandbox world. It was always more of an action game.
But somehow Bannerlord right now has even less. No feasts. No ladyship courting (which is on the to do list i think). No companions that react to places you visit or to other companions. No random ambushes at the trader or encounter with drunks at the tavern.
Hope they add a bit more immersive stuff :3

Warband never really had much going for rp in a sandbox world. It was always more of an action game.
But somehow Bannerlord right now has even less. No feasts. No ladyship courting (which is on the to do list i think). No companions that react to places you visit or to other companions. No random ambushes at the trader or encounter with drunks at the tavern.
Hope they add a bit more immersive stuff :3
Yep, I think that it has been said a thousands of times, but if I remember correctly TW has never pronounced abut this topic.

I agree that address basic features and add some new like map terrain, keep battles, etc are top priority but it would be really great if they can just tell us something like 'we know it, we are agree that some stuff has to be added but it will be the latest things to work on right now', but no... just silence, so let's keep hoping.

Bannerlord completely ruined its roleplay potential when it forced you to be a "noble" from the first minute of gameplay, whether you like it or not. I hate this change with burning passion, as it completely invalidated several role playing styles and options.
Not sure about It. You are less blank state than warband but the fact you have blue blood in your veins doesn't change that you can be just a bandit.

Not sure about It. You are less blank state than warband but the fact you have blue blood in your veins doesn't change that you can be just a bandit.
It completely bypasses the need to become a noble in the first place. In Warband you could start either as a commoner or as a noble. Here, you dont even have that choice. Not to mention that you aren't even a true noble in the first place, you just arbitrarily take up a name and form a clan out of nowhere, and nobody even really questions it. It is such a missed opportunity for roleplay and character development.

It completely bypasses the need to become a noble in the first place. In Warband you could start either as a commoner or as a noble. Here, you dont even have that choice. Not to mention that you aren't even a true noble in the first place, you just arbitrarily take up a name and form a clan out of nowhere, and nobody even really questions it. It is such a missed opportunity for roleplay and character development.
Yeah, I don't like how you automatically start as a clan. I'd much rather have forming your own clan being something you need to work your way up to. And I'd like to be able to join other clans early on.

Seeing as most RPGs nowadays aren't actual RPGs
Most RPGs don't really allow role playing.
I don't really understand what you mean by "playing a role".

I like the RPGs where I play role of LINK!

Seriously I think one thing Bannerlord could add is add a more viable "bad guy" "Good guy" "just alright guy" type of benefit to how you conduct yourself as the game goes on and maybe also a better way to reverse this too as it is a long generational game, maybe you child is honorable and wants to rebuild the clan's name after the 1st gen was war monger and pillager.

Right now basically it's just "do you want to ruin relations with notables OR NOT" and that's really it. Raiding and executing really just boils down to "some notables will not give you quests now, even if you own them" which is kinda sucky. Sure some should hate you but some should like it, or a bad guy should be able to oust the notable that hate them and get low life notables to replace them!

And on the "good guy" there's no real payoff either, it's just maintaining the standard arrangements. Really there should be some long term advantage (like honorable lords in warband) to being a good guy.

Seriously I think one thing Bannerlord could add is add a more viable "bad guy" "Good guy" "just alright guy" type of benefit to how you conduct yourself as the game goes on and maybe also a better way to reverse this too as it is a long generational game, maybe you child is honorable and wants to rebuild the clan's name after the 1st gen was war monger and pillager.
Yes let me be an evil villain who kills for fun

Maybe I'll make an evil ring too :party:

:shifty:Yeah. I want to raid villages for a while until the villagers refuse to have anything to do with me so I can have a reason to burn their stinky huts and take their grain again!

Also, if there were more bandit factions, being a douche could mean recruiting their units without needing to have them as prisoners. In any case having the choice could only benefit role play

Last edited:
I really enjoy that sandbox roleplaying aspect. For me it is what keeps me interested in this game. I hope they develop it more.

Back
Top Bottom