Mount&Blade in linux

Users who are viewing this thread

I heard that more often, from a debian core system on eee. Maybe the drivers are not optimal, maybe debian does not like it in the mobile version. I run kubuntu (still too lazy to go to debian core) and have no problems (desktop pc)

dryhte said:
Any ideas? I'd love to play M&B on my Ubuntu EEEpc...

Oh by the way, I tried both Dx7 and Dx9, same errors.
did you try to start it by double clicking directly on the executable in "Program Files" instead of the desktop shortcut? what version of Ubuntu and what of Wine? try to use the last version of wine from the winehq.org repository.

dryhte said:
fixme:d3d:debug_d3dformat Unrecognized 909201952 (as fourcc: R16) WINED3DFORMAT!
err:d3d:CheckTextureCapability Unhandled format = unrecognized
fixme:d3d:debug_d3dformat Unrecognized 909201952 (as fourcc: R16) WINED3DFORMAT!
fixme:d3d:getFormatDescEntry Can't find format unrecognized(909201952) in the format lookup table
Killed
It's failing on the capability check of the graphics card, which Direct X would expect to be reported by the card driver. Could be the drivers you're using for the card, could be an issue with the way  WINE is translating the request.

I tried M&B 1.030 with latest ubuntu hardy heron and "play on linux". It worked fine for me just a few graphical problems (banners didn't show up) so I didn't stick with it longer. But with some time tweaking it, it would have worked perfectly. Someone with talent with linux and more time than me should write a tutorial about what distro to use and how to install M&B. And yes, I have seen the start of this thread.

I run the game on Wine and I faced a strange problem.
It seems that the game always generates a scene base on its scene code even if a scene's landscape was edited in the in-game scene editor.
All works fine in Windows. All works fine for all native scenes either in Linux or Windows. The problem occurs only for modded scenes in Linux.

I will appreciate for any help.

Archonsod, thanks for an answer.

The directory structure?
Do you mean that the game doesn't find right .sco and therefore regenerates the landscape (or gets it somewhere else)?
In the scene that has broken landscape, M&B still places correct in-scene objects (it seems that it places even on correct positions), so i think it finds and opens right .sco.

I believe the problem somehow connected with not full (or correct) implementation of DX in wine. I have seen many times that wine draws 3d object incorrect (some part maybe broken, misplaced or something like that).

The thing that I don't realize is why it only happens for a custom scene. So maybe where is a way to convert scenes into wine-compatible :smile: format.

Rongar said:
the game always generates a scene base on its scene code even if a scene's landscape was edited in the in-game scene editor.
I may be wrong about this statement. The actually fact that the scene looks different in wine and windows.  

Archonsod said:
So if you try the same scene on Windows and Linux it looks different?
The same scene from the same point

mb4.jpg

mb10.jpg
Easy to notice that in linux far side of the bridge is ended in water.
(nevermind on shadows, graphics settings are a bit different)

Archonsod said:
Wonder if Wine is doing something with the Z axis
What could be done with Z axis?

running kubuntu. Apparantly I don't have anything more than the a ko and an so file with the name dxdiag. shadow quality is at "low" which is the minimum value. How does wine take GDI calls? Those work on windows too (and better on Vista I've heard...) To play M&B on linux would be so nice....

I have previously been mucking around with a terminal in ~/.wine

I wouldn't have been able to get as far as I have without one.

oh, if only I had a working ".wine" folder to put in my system!

Yes scenes look definitely different on linux and windows.

1. Quick Battle -> Siege defence - siege tower stucks in water and doesn't want to move.
2. Besieging Culmarr Castle is imposible (1)
3. Mouse problem - while circling the enemy you have to "unscrew" mouse pointer. Mouse pointer is bounded and can't move infinitely in one direction as it is in windows.
4. There was a problem with shields heraldic textures but wine crew has fixed it :smile:

Besides this game runs nicely on wine. It installs the same way as on windows. So all in all it's ok.

elgringobananas said:
Is the 360 angle problem still there now? Thinking of installing M&B on arch today. Just have to play a little first, too addicted :smile:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
cd M&B's folder (you have to set it manually, just browse to where the game is installed and copy the location and paste over here)
export WINEFORCEMOUSEWARP=yes; wine ./"mount&blade.exe"
Save this as a text file and give it the file ending .sh and make it possible to execute it, then its a icon on your desktop for just running the game <3

For me, i just execute it from direct from the commandline with Openbox:
Code:
xterm -e "cd '~/.wine/winedir/C/Spill/Mount&Blade' && export  WINEFORCEMOUSEWARP=yes; wine ./'mount&blade.exe'"

This would make combat possible, but navigating the menus a little painfull(i got used to it).

Ok, to say what I forgot to say: The turning around problem will not be gone until ages(what actually causes it is not wine, it is something in X), however there is several hacks that fixes it(their hacks, not proper fixes for the note).

I am using a hack which involves resetting the cursor when it hits the edges of the screen, which allows combat to be actually done and fought.  The disadvantage is that anything not mapped to hotkeys while on the world map is minorly troublesome(cursor touches edges = back to middle of screen).
The other solutions vary, one is to read the mouses raw input(which results in lag once every minute or so). Another one is to change the input api by replacing a file, which if you actually find one decently done(sets the mouse back 1-2 pixels when hitting the edge of the screen) give me a link. And others.

Hey, I was wrong. This IS the good solution - works perfectly. But you have to replace your dinput.dll.so file with:
http://bugs2.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=15550

they say dinput.dll.so file is located in /usr/lib/wine, in my case it was actually - /usr/lib32/wine (but it wasn't deadly hard to find :lol:)

solved-rubiks-cube.jpg

Did anyone else noticed that some scenes look different in linux and windows? Can siege tower in quick battle - siege defense rich castle wall?

del_diablo said:
elgringobananas said:
Is the 360 angle problem still there now? Thinking of installing M&B on arch today. Just have to play a little first, too addicted :smile:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
cd M&B's folder (you have to set it manually, just browse to where the game is installed and copy the location and paste over here)
export WINEFORCEMOUSEWARP=yes; wine ./"mount&blade.exe"
Save this as a text file and give it the file ending .sh and make it possible to execute it, then its a icon on your desktop for just running the game <3

For me, i just execute it from direct from the commandline with Openbox:
Code:
xterm -e "cd '~/.wine/winedir/C/Spill/Mount&Blade' && export  WINEFORCEMOUSEWARP=yes; wine ./'mount&blade.exe'"

This would make combat possible, but navigating the menus a little painfull(i got used to it).

Replacing the dinput.dll.so does fix the problem with mouse rotating the view around your character. The latest wine 1.1.29 does not fix the problem, so we still have to do it manually.

There is however another problem resultant from this manual fix. If you move the mouse point to an extreme edge of the screen, the pointer jumps to the center of the screen. A bit annoying but does not prevent from playing since all the buttons can be pressed.

I wonder if there is a way to fix this bug also. Anyone?

4. Copy from DirectX.cab files cp *.dll to /home/use/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32 if program will overwrite files set NO

So uh... What files am I supposed to move? I don't see any cp *.dll and I don't know what that's supposed to mean.

Hi all.

I recently installed Linux (Ubuntu 9.10), so I'm still a newbie...
I tried the method of this topic but when I run M&B, main menu does not appear.
Setup works well, laucher works well, even music works well but not main menu. I've just a black screen with the (so great) musical theme.

Has anyone a idea ?

can anyone tell me how to find out which distributor my mac os x software is (for downloading wine/ compatible files)?

Back
Top Bottom