Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Old Discussion Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
In that interview when asked about a release / how much of the game is done Armagan Yavuz says ;
"We will release it when we are completely happy with it and make sure we wont get any bad feed backs from the players.
I can say that we are making the final touches to the game."

I got the impression that the E3 presentation aims to appeal to an audience that is not very familiar with Bannerlord. I cannot say that I am disappointed, but for the followers since 2012 it is scarce in information.  Hopefully they aim to release more details in the coming time, since this 'revelation' at E3, continuing to build on the new hype-wave.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Ki-Ok Khan said:
In that interview when asked about a release / how much of the game is done Armagan Yavuz says ;
"We will release it when we are completely happy with it and make sure we wont get any bad feed backs from the players.
I can say that we are making the final touches to the game."

:shock:

The problem the community is facing in this incident seems to be about mismanagement of their expectations, to be honest. A lot of people are complaining about people expecting too much and it being their fault but when the official twitter account of TW keeps talking about the PC Gaming conference and raises expectations, people are bound to feel disappointed when TW underdelivers. If TW had outlined their program for E3 and talked about what people should and should not expect, seeing that 1 or 2 minutes of video would not be that devastating. That video did not seem like something you'd show on the conference floor.

Then again, perhaps TW thought the videos they released after the conference were good and would be enough to meet expectations. I thought they were subpar and completely missed the charm of the game. I wish they had included some of the intrigue before the battle, the background and how the armies came to clash there. The thing about trailers and video footage is that the players, who are normally in control of everything, only get to watch. So you have to treat them like short movies and draw them in, keep them watching by showing who's fighting, what's at stake, etc. Watch any random battle of Rome Total War and then watch a Historical Battle in R:TW. That guy showing units and giving background info creates a ton of interest in me. Bannerlord videos show very shallow tactics and mindless soldiers just chasing each other. Even doing multiple view points of the same battle with a surprise cavalry charge coming from the back, like in the movie Gladiator, would be simply and yet effective.

Jezze said:
I got the impression that the E3 presentation aims to appeal to an audience that is not very familiar with Bannerlord.
I understand wanting the game to market itself but there was a much better way of doing that as well.

Goker said:
Jezze said:
I got the impression that the E3 presentation aims to appeal to an audience that is not very familiar with Bannerlord.
I understand wanting the game to market itself but there was a much better way of doing that as well.
Jah, in that case they could have showed the strong points of Bannerlord which were not in the videos and what we have not seen before. The combination of the sandbox gameplay and battles, fief/kingdom management and multi-player. In essence, a trailer :razz:. If they are really in the polishing/tweaking stages, E3 would have been a good time to publish a trailer IMO.

Jezze said:
Jah, in that case they could have showed the strong points of Bannerlord which were not in the videos and what we have not seen before. The combination of the sandbox gameplay and battles, fief/kingdom management and multi-player. In essence, a trailer :razz:. If they are really in the polishing/tweaking stages, E3 would have been a good time to publish a trailer IMO.
Yeah, agreed. This is frustrating as there seems to be no rhyme or reason to what's going on. Their presentations last year were a lot better. They looked like ready to release the game last year but couldn't. Now they look far from ready in terms of preparing presentations or trailers. You'd think their efforts in that area would increase, not get worse.

Most of you guys does not know how E3 works. It is an expo but not like an expo for everyone. There are tons of expos about games where they are open to public but most of the titles on E3 are not ready for that kinda exporuse. You can go play a game on any expo when the dev thinks it could be played. PAX Expo for example is a public expo which most of the titles there can be played with the oversight of the devs. But E3 is more than a press showcase/meeting than a public expo. The pre shows are there to inform the audience and the gamers all around the world about what a dev are working on for sometime and if they are on the expo what will they show at booths. E3 is like a Mecca for game industry and everyone is looking to be there or follow what is going on there. It is not like a public show. It is a great chance for advertisements too. And about the PCGamer Show, i think TW would like to be there and talked about the game but i think it was the PCGamer's call for just one trailer.
And about the delays, there needs to be a date that announced earlier and that date needs to be postponed in order to make sure you can say something is delayed. Tere were no dates for the game so no delays.
Also, TW did not lie about anything. Dont over hype yourselves.

M.ArdA said:
Most of you guys does not know how E3 works. It is an expo but not like an expo for everyone. There are tons of expos about games where they are open to public but most of the titles on E3 are not ready for that kinda exporuse. You can go play a game on any expo when the dev thinks it could be played. PAX Expo for example is a public expo which most of the titles there can be played with the oversight of the devs. But E3 is more than a press showcase/meeting than a public expo. The pre shows are there to inform the audience and the gamers all around the world about what a dev are working on for sometime and if they are on the expo what will they show at booths. E3 is like a Mecca for game industry and everyone is looking to be there or follow what is going on there. It is not like a public show. It is a great chance for advertisements too. And about the PCGamer Show, i think TW would like to be there and talked about the game but i think it was the PCGamer's call for just one trailer.
And about the delays, there needs to be a date that announced earlier and that date needs to be postponed in order to make sure you can say something is delayed. Tere were no dates for the game so no delays.
Also, TW did not lie about anything. Dont over hype yourselves.

I think many here know how that works. However, simple transparency would've been enough.

"We'll be at E3, we'll show 2 gameplay videos, we'll have an interview." If they were clear about it from the start, maybe they wouldn't have generated so much hype which ended with disappointment.

Just an example.

Let me quote Goker which explained it much better than me:

Goker said:
The problem the community is facing in this incident seems to be about mismanagement of their expectations, to be honest. A lot of people are complaining about people expecting too much and it being their fault but when the official twitter account of TW keeps talking about the PC Gaming conference and raises expectations, people are bound to feel disappointed when TW underdelivers. If TW had outlined their program for E3 and talked about what people should and should not expect, seeing that 1 or 2 minutes of video would not be that devastating.

A rushed translation for that Merlin'in Kazanı video, for those interested.
Merlin'in Kazanı: Greetings from "Merlin's Cauldron", we're in LA, on the first day of E3. We're starting our interviews with the sponsorship of MSI Gaming Laptop. Our first interview will be out a game hailing from our own country that is very much of interest to people. As you can see in the images behind me, it's Mount&Blade 2: Bannerlord and I have here, next to me, Armağan Yavuz.

MK: Hello Mr. Armağan, how are you?

Armağan Yavuz: Hello, I'm good, thank you.

MK: First off, we're on the first day of E3, this must be a very busy couple of days for you. What are your thoughts on E3?

AY: We're very excited. As gamers would know, we've been working on Bannerlord for a long time with the development team. We've made good preperations and have videos published. We're offering the press to test the game out and experience it themselves.

MK: Yes, we've also tried the game out inside, it is very good. Compared to the first game, there are a lot of differences, with the new shield system, the command system, you've made a lot of changes. Can you give us some general info on what's different?

AY: Of course, in E3 this year we're specifically showing the differences in the combat and battle systems. There are a couple of very important differences to the combat system, one of these would be the directional defence system that shields now have, like swords were able to do in the past iterations. If you defend on the correct direction with your shield, you get extra bonuses, like having your shield last longer or attack your enemy better afterwards. We've also added the ability to do shield bashes, which stuns enemies. Other than that, after making a strike with a sword, pushing the mouse button quickly again can lead to subsequent strikes, without losing momentum.

MK: The shield thing looks great and I think you do that with the "kick" button. Those who played the previous games would know that there was a kick button. When you hold the shield and press the kick button, you can try to hit with the shield. (Perhaps this means the kick is still in place but won't be done when holding the shield up?) I had a bit of a problem with the spear-wielding enemies but it is obviously very useful in close combat. Can we talk a bit about the command system, like can we do the "Crescent tactic" (Pincer Movement)?

AY: (laughing) Yes, you can do that as a commander. We have lots of good features in the command system as well. One of them would be that if you're not the main commander of the battle, the commander can give you command of a small company. You can be given command of the cavalry and be given commands like "strike from the flanks" but you decide what you want to do with your command. Aside from that, we have advanced formations, you can order soldiers to do a single-line or a circle, allowing for more tactical and important decisions to be made.

MK: Yeah, strategy seems to have become an important feature in the game. Lastly, I want to talk about the graphics. Lots of differences there, with helmet tassels moving, etc. I especially liked the desert area, with dust kicking up as soldiers move. What more can you say about the graphics?

AY: About the graphics, yeah, the team has been working a lot on it. Our cloth simulation has developed greatly and can be seen in multiple places, like in flags, horses' manes, and various clothings worn by soldiers, like the tassels on helmets. We try to use them as much as possible. We have very good particle effects, like the dust kicked up by horses in deserts. Pretty much every scene you can see has a couple of little graphical improvements, those little touches.

MK: Lastly, Bannerlord is a highly anticipated game both in our country and globally. You've been developing it for a long while. Any information on the release date, can you tell us how much of the development is done?

AY: We're not giving a release date because we don't necessarily have a date on our own minds either. When it's done, when we're happy with it, we're going to release it. As for how much of it is finished, most of it is currently done.

MK: Can we say that you're doing the finishing touches?

AY: Yeah, we're doing the finishing touches. When we're sure of it, when we're sure that the product won't result in negative feedback from the players, we'll release it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom