Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Old Discussion Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zephon said:
"Rivalries" were already present as well, otherwise the faction relations wouldn't exist.

No, the blog (or wherever it was stated) tells you there are rivalries between NPCs, it isn't talking about factions not liking each other- which in any case is not a rivalry in Warband, since they are neutral to other factions unless they are at war. That is not a rivalry. A rivalry is having a long standing animosity or fiercely competitive relationship with someone else, one that doesn't disappear when the factions or people are not at war. The blog is saying that if you get friendly with one NPC, their rival NPCs will dislike you for it. That is completely new.

cherac said:
Honestly going to villages and getting volunteers was one of the best recruitment mechanic out there , it was easier, a little realistic and felt natural .Now its getting weird , I really don't like this recruitment feature ,it feels unnecessary .... I want to go to a village, get some young men, and train them to knights or whatever ,but begging for quests from town to town just to get a few recruits....I don't know what the blog meant ,but I hope both options are available and the town recruitment npc's give better troops than village recruitment (Also just a wild dream but a cool idea (if we could analyze each individual in our army, since they all have different faces, they could have different names and so on, probably a mod would add this)

I like the sound of the new method, and it seems more realistic to me, but of course I haven't played it yet to make up my mind. I was never very happy with the old system though and it had quite a few critics.

I don't think having common soldiers being permanently tracked would be worthwhile. There will be so many of them, and a high turnover due to inevitable deaths, that their identities will become meaningless to the player. Also, how would you have them listed in the party screen or casualty report? You'd have hundreds of names on both sides in a big battle, the list would be colossal.

I think their main effort was explaining NPC interections with that blog, not troop recruitment.  So it's likely that the NPC providing troops in the town in just ine example of possible recruitment.

I believe it will be a mix of VC, native expansion and native.  You can recruit dirrefent troops from villages and towns (  either better equiped troops in towns  like VC or a completely different troop line like natuve expansion).  Doing quest for the villages in native made them provide more troops/ better quality troops to the player

Crowcorrector said:
I think their main effort was explaining NPC interections with that blog, not troop recruitment.  So it's likely that the NPC providing troops in the town in just ine example of possible recruitment.

I believe it will be a mix of VC, native expansion and native.  You can recruit dirrefent troops from villages and towns (  either better equiped troops in towns  like VC or a completely different troop line like natuve expansion).  Doing quest for the villages in native made them provide more troops/ better quality troops to the player

+1 :grin:

If only they would release the game so that it could get into the hands of the Modders. They are the reason the original game has had such longevity.

I think I've only played vanilla Warband maybe 100-200 hours or so, but some of the mods for many, many more (like Floris, PoP, Perisno, SoF, LDTA etc) and I don't think I am alone in that :grin:

By all means, polish the game as best you can, but release it so the Modders can take the game to where it really needs to go. Taleworlds needs to realize that whatever they release will pale in comparison to what the Mod community will do over time......

cherac said:
Honestly going to villages and getting volunteers was one of the best recruitment mechanic out there , it was easier, a little realistic and felt natural .Now its getting weird , I really don't like this recruitment feature ,it feels unnecessary .... I want to go to a village, get some young men, and train them to knights or whatever ,but begging for quests from town to town just to get a few recruits....I don't know what the blog meant ,but I hope both options are available and the town recruitment npc's give better troops than village recruitment (Also just a wild dream but a cool idea (if we could analyze each individual in our army, since they all have different faces, they could have different names and so on, probably a mod would add this)

I see where you are coming from but it doesnt seem that much different from native.

In native you did quests for the village which increased you standing, thus increasing recruitment potentil.

This system sounds like it breaks it down smaller so maybe there is still a town relation, but you can further increase recruiting potential by having a good relationship with the "middle man".

So maybe its akin to say you would normally get 5 troops. A good relation in the town you get 3-4 more, and on top of that a good relation with this npc in particular you get another 3-4.

It does seem a little redundant because youd always just talk to the elder anyways, but i dont think it sounds very much different, it just adds another layer.

The new recruitment system makes sense in a medieval world cause every people; are supposed to be "subjects" of their lord and you have to ask lord of the lands or city the right to recruit them, it surprised me at first sight but in fact it can be a really good idea, i think you can always recruit mercenaries in tavern, and probably bandits on the map etc...

Can you ratify if it is only my bad english skills, or does the blog say that this recruitment from lords is just another way instead of a whole other system.

"As an example, when you go to a town to recruit soldiers, instead of simply receiving a number of local recruits, the town's NPCs act as recruiting agents, or middle men, through whom you receive a supply of troops."

As i read it its still possible to recruit the lowest tier troops from villages, but if you need to get trained troops fast you can get them at NPCs, for example when you know an army is underway to siege your castle and you dont have time to train those farmers up.

Firunien said:
Can you ratify if it is only my bad english skills, or does the blog say that this recruitment from lords is just another way instead of a whole other system.

"As an example, when you go to a town to recruit soldiers, instead of simply receiving a number of local recruits, the town's NPCs act as recruiting agents, or middle men, through whom you receive a supply of troops."

As i read it its still possible to recruit the lowest tier troops from villages, but if you need to get trained troops fast you can get them at NPCs, for example when you know an army is underway to siege your castle and you dont have time to train those farmers up.

I've been assuming that it's that way aswell. That it's just an added way to recruit troops, while still having the old way of doing it. But I suppose we'll just have to wait and see :smile:

DanAngleland said:
Zephon said:
"Rivalries" were already present as well, otherwise the faction relations wouldn't exist.

No, the blog (or wherever it was stated) tells you there are rivalries between NPCs, it isn't talking about factions not liking each other- which in any case is not a rivalry in Warband, since they are neutral to other factions unless they are at war. That is not a rivalry. A rivalry is having a long standing animosity or fiercely competitive relationship with someone else, one that doesn't disappear when the factions or people are not at war. The blog is saying that if you get friendly with one NPC, their rival NPCs will dislike you for it. That is completely new.

Completely new? There was a very similar system in Warband where companions had their favorites and rivals.

Firunien said:

To me, the way they word it implies this is a replacement for the old system. They mention "town" specifically, though; I wonder if you can use NPCs to handle recruitment in towns and castles while you can still directly enlist recruits from villages (pretty much what you said).

I hope companion NPCs play into this system.  It would be good to do  quest for them or link up with them through a quest in order to be able to recruit some of them into your party  (possibly the better equipped/ skilled ones). 

it would also  be good to be able to place out your own companion NPCs throughout the city.  Just like it's possible to start out your won criminal enterprise by placing a criminally inclined companion and some of your blokes in an alleyway.

It would add depth to the game if you could undertake similar actions to install other companions throughout the city.  eg using relation with the town lord to kick out the current guild master and install you own companion as one,  or doing an assassination quest of sorts to take out the 'recruiting' NPC and install your own companion as one. 

if NPC relations are so important and doing quests for one may give you a negative relationship with another, the benefits of installing your own cronies in these positions means all of them have a good relationship with you, enabling you to perform all the actions you need from one city instead of travelling between cities as your firiends with the guild master in one but not the recruiter or criminal master etc.

The blog mentions town's NPCs acting as recruiting agents. I seriously hope that I'm not overthinking it and it means we will have multiple recruiting options in each city, faction-neutral and bandit troops included.

Do not look here said:
The blog mentions town's NPCs acting as recruiting agents. I seriously hope that I'm not overthinking it and it means we will have multiple recruiting options in each city, faction-neutral and bandit troops included.
Also how those NPCs can be in danger, and "when that NPC is at risk, so too is your supply of soldiers".
I wonder who they are, and if they can die. If they die will they be replaced by others, and you have to build up a new relationship?

DogsPlayingPoker said:
By all means, polish the game as best you can, but release it so the Modders can take the game to where it really needs to go. Taleworlds needs to realize that whatever they release will pale in comparison to what the Mod community will do over time......

Right. Just waiting for that good Rome or crusades total conversion mod. It's almost been seven years of Warband, none in sight yet...I can't say any mod has held my attention longer than native either (most far less), apart from Battle for Sicily for M&B version .808.

Some of the changes they have made to the game reflect modding improvements to Warband, and the ethos they have repeated is that they want to make it the game Warband had the potential to be- to feel fleshed out, to be done properly. There will always be a craving for different scenarios, which is where total conversions come in (though good completed ones are rare), but there shouldn't be as many shortcomings in native gameplay and thus less need for gameplay mods to try (largely in vain) to compensate.

I don't have a lack of respect for modders, they do things I cannot and through ingenuity and effort they have done a range of unexpected things with Warband and M&B. It's just that so often the results don't feel like they fit the game that well, and I come away thinking of them more as a demonstration of why we need a sequel than a good solution to the shortcomings of native.

DaciaJC said:
DanAngleland said:
Zephon said:

Completely new? There was a very similar system in Warband where companions had their favorites and rivals.

That was only the companions, and it was solely about being in the same party as the disliked NPC. It did have the consequence of forcing you to choose who to evict from the party, but that was it. You might be inclined to look for another companion to replace the party skills of the ejected member, but there were no other consequences. There were always alternative companions with similar party skills to search for. Nor did the disgruntled companions do anything but moan and eventually leave if you didn't satisfy them, and they were never angry at you. They wouldn't try and harm or interact with you or their 'rival' NPC in anyway after they left the party, and you could recruit them once more if you chose to later on, with no hard feelings.

Ki-Ok Khan said:
I think it is about time that Taleworlds starts getting called out by everyone.

For what exactly?

DanAngleland said:
Right. Just waiting for that good Rome or crusades total conversion mod. It's almost been seven years of Warband, none in sight yet...I can't say any mod has held my attention longer than native either (most far less), apart from Battle for Sicily for M&B version .808.

Some of the changes they have made to the game reflect modding improvements to Warband, and the ethos they have repeated is that they want to make it the game Warband had the potential to be- to feel fleshed out, to be done properly. There will always be a craving for different scenarios, which is where total conversions come in (though good completed ones are rare), but there shouldn't be as many shortcomings in native gameplay and thus less need for gameplay mods to try (largely in vain) to compensate.

I don't have a lack of respect for modders, they do things I cannot and through ingenuity and effort they have done a range of unexpected things with Warband and M&B. It's just that so often the results don't feel like they fit the game that well, and I come away thinking of them more as a demonstration of why we need a sequel than a good solution to the shortcomings of native.

Couldnt agree more.

Any mod ive played has sent me running back to native with even more passion. No doubt modders can do some great work, but a lot of decisions just feel arbitrary and it isnt until your 20 hours in you realize how unbalanced it is or you have to use a lame gimmick just to clear certain hurdles

If bannerlord was in a fit state to be handed to modders then it would be more than ready for release. Early patches almost always break mods, so unless taleworlds somehow aided in updating the first few mods by keeping them up to date with the source code (a monumental amount of work), itt isn't going to happen.

Adorno said:
Do not look here said:
Also how those NPCs can be in danger, and "when that NPC is at risk, so too is your supply of soldiers".
I wonder who they are, and if they can die. If they die will they be replaced by others, and you have to build up a new relationship?

I wonder, would those town recruiting agents be minor nobles who serve under the main lords of the town? We do know lords can recruit their own companions, so potentially these companions of that lord are the recruiting agents stationed in those towns and in cases of war when they follow their leige in combat they are at risk of death, so that's how it's in your intrest the lords party doesnt die. Of course it's speculation and unlikely

kuwhar said:
Ki-Ok Khan said:
I think it is about time that Taleworlds starts getting called out by everyone.

For what exactly?

Everything they are doing wrong.Or lacking.
https://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Features
You would think that atleast we could have the released features here.

After years of development you would think they would be near release. Game still looks like it contains a lot of major bugs from the screenshots they have showed.

Their last blog was not a blog. It was not even a "dive" into the npc interactions like they claimed.
For the 15th Developer Blog entry, we dive into the details of NPC interaction and Bannerlord's revised recruitment system.

Not even a single information we did not know about.

And even more I cant remember about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom