Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Old Discussion Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
DrTaco said:
What exactly does "Build lines" mean and how would this look on a thin wall that 30+ attackers are going to be attacking through some ladders?

watch a Total War siege video to see how a formation can be positioned on a wall defense. My guess is that they want something similar.

With only two ladders (basically static ones) on that side, and the attackers only having one arm free as they go over the top, as well as them being single-file, seems like efficient defenders could make ladder attacks all but impossible to actually penetrate with. Maybe if you had a ton of archers covering the attackers?

One of the most annoying this is the behaviour. the video of the gamescom is a good example. the Npcs are not intelligent enough. why are all people at the end fighting on the gate? They should recognize that the siege toweer and the ladders are unguarded. its the same like in warband. you have 2 siege ladders. when one dies the troops from the other ladder are not switching over they are still standing on that one ladder and get killed by archers.
the A.I should be more intelligent.

kraggrim said:
With only two ladders (basically static ones) on that side, and the attackers only having one arm free as they go over the top, as well as them being single-file, seems like efficient defenders could make ladder attacks all but impossible to actually penetrate with. Maybe if you had a ton of archers covering the attackers?

it sounds like a suicidal mission, right? They even use to give a big reward for the first man to reach the walls (survive up there).

But as crazy as it sounds we know (from history) that it sometimes works. They may need to charge the wall a few times (over several days even), until a lucky guy gets up there and open enough room for the second guy, and the third... and them suddenly they have a small area on the wall and the defenders panic.

A good example is the siege that took Constantinople. Amazing walls, enemy with huge numbers against a handful of defenders, several tries, until it eventually broke.

rammler1991 said:
One of the most annoying this is the behaviour. the video of the gamescom is a good example. the Npcs are not intelligent enough. why are all people at the end fighting on the gate? They should recognize that the siege toweer and the ladders are unguarded. its the same like in warband. you have 2 siege ladders. when one dies the troops from the other ladder are not switching over they are still standing on that one ladder and get killed by archers.

Or maybe as a player we are supposed to position our troops. Not sure why they didn't show that though, if that was in the game (which it should be... please).

Plovercrest said:
rammler1991 said:

Or maybe as a player we are supposed to position our troops. Not sure why they didn't show that though, if that was in the game (which it should be... please).

Yea, in the live stream they state that you can deploy your troops however you want or if you want to get to the action you can let the AI sort it out

Dest45 said:
Plovercrest said:
rammler1991 said:

Yea, in the live stream they state that you can deploy your troops however you want or if you want to get to the action you can let the AI sort it out

I'm thinking more "in-battle". It would be handy to zoom out and be able to send units to various positions like Total War. You could sort of do that in Warband by clicking on the mini map. It wasn't very accurate though. I do like the pre-battle placement though. Preventing archers from standing in front of ladders getting insta-killed.

Plovercrest said:
Dest45 said:
Plovercrest said:
rammler1991 said:

I'm thinking more "in-battle". It would be handy to zoom out and be able to send units to various positions like Total War. You could sort of do that in Warband by clicking on the mini map. It wasn't very accurate though. I do like the pre-battle placement though. Preventing archers from standing in front of ladders getting insta-killed.

Would be handy, but also op. The intention of the game, is that you're supposed to be a man on the field. You're not supposed to have full control of every aspect of the fight, or every area of the map.

The group deployed by siege tower abandons it only because player orders them to do so, to reinforce soldiers fighting in gate. With auto-deploy, each group of soldiers is assigned to different entry points, just like attacker has groups of soldiers assigned to different siege engines. They should move fluidly between them but maybe the attacking force is simply too small for us to notice it in the video? At the very least, the 'F9 Transfer' command is available in-battle, hopefully AI will be taught to use it.

I wonder how one mans the ballistae and whatnot. Defender's archers are deployed evenly between them, do you need to give them a special command or just holding position nearby make soldiers use them?

I'd like to see something happen with reputation. It would be cool if they could implement a more dynamic approatch to it. I got inspired while playing Civ5, looking at how they made religion spread between the different cities.

You would do tasks for- or actions against certain villages or towns-, deal with local bandits- or defeat/help local lords to affect your relations with the local populace. Gossip would be spread by word of mouth(in this case by peasants, caravan merchants or even lords among other nobility). The higher your rep with one hub, the more likely and effective the message when they deliver it to another.
This way, your reputation would differ in various parts of the map, and you would have to struggle to achieve widespread fame or infamy.

I realise it's too late to talk about big new features, just wanted to air the idea.
(sorry if it's not approperiate for the thread)

rammler1991 said:

Because the gate is the most equal battlefield for the attackers. When some of them brake off to go for the ladders/tower then presumably so would some defenders from the other side, then they're just attacking at more of a disadvantage.  So unless the defenders are stretched thin (which they were not in this case, forces had equal numbers at the beginning) it wouldn't make sense. Hopefully if the defenders are stretched thin then the attackers will try re-spreading during the battle.

Have you discussed here already about the need of adding overhead animations when attacking with the sword and the spear? Something like what we see in rome 2:

aUMRi.jpg

This would have been very useful at the chaotic battle at the gates in latest siege video. Instead of slashing up to down with the swords like crazy, just to hit allies' heads, you would be able to pierce the enemies faces with this move.

rammler1991 said:
Look at this. Go to minute 6:40:

That animations are not good. an in banenrlord its the same.

It really is not the same; in Bannerlord the degree to which people are jogging on the spot is much less. The men behind stop running or change direction if they are not immediately getting through.

When on the walls, the player was able to melee at the top of the ladder without delay (1:32), with most of the defenders stood in a line a few yards back from the wall, a couple of them moving forward to engage the attackers as they came to the top of the ladder. The player was then able to walk away from the top of the ladders to do some more archery without being impeded. He would have been impeded were the AI simply cramming themselves against the top of the ladder as they do in Warband.

Once the player had crossed to the other side of the gatehouse (3:20) the last few attackers at the siege tower were trying to get onto the wall, and there was very brief running on the spot from a few defenders, but it lasted barely a second at a time; individual soldiers tend to change direction to find spaces or stop running when it isn't producing quick results, rather than simply running on the spot continuously as that Warband video shows. More than one attacker at a time was able to reach the top of the wall at the siege tower, unlike the narrower ladders, so the attackers aren't killed quite as rapidly as at the ladders and more defenders see a live enemy for them to engage, and so more of them try to get to the edge. This very briefly resulted in some running on the spot, but they do get around one another much better than they do in Warband. It looks and works much better in Bannerlord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom