Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Old Discussion Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
co-op wouldn't like turn off the casuals if it was done in the best possible way, that way being the players being both in one party (especially with an option to switch control of the party) and I think most people would understand why it would be like that if they play the singleplayer. And to whoever said that we don't know how many people actually want it because its just been the forum requesting it, that's not a valid objection because a forum is just a sample of a population, like a survey. That's also discounting players who communicate through YouTube comments or Twitter. Besides, from my convos with people irl I think its safe to say that the majority of people want co-op and only a minority is indifferent to it.

For me it would definitely be perfectly sufficient to have my friends in my party because tbh otherwise we'd end up just following each others parties anyway. As long as you can rotate command nobody would feel really that restricted.

(Note: hopefully there's no reason this form of co-op would be limited to 1 host and 1 guest because there are like 3 people that I'd be playing with)

No release date or a date when early access or an early beta can be expected has been given at this years Gamescom thus far.

I can live with that, but I think TW should consider giving the modding tools to people when the beta starts, so that modders can get to work.

Pilum said:
No release date or a date when early access or an early beta can be expected has been given at this years Gamescom thus far.

I can live with that, but I think TW should consider giving the modding tools to people when the beta starts, so that modders can get to work.

I believe Lust said they were considering releasing the modding tools early, was pretty hesitant though.

It may be frustrating for us to remain in the dark of just when we will get to play the game, but at least Bannerlord is getting an increasing amount of interest on Youtube. The E3 siege video has just over 1,000,000 views now, putting it second (in terms of views for any Bannerlord video) only to the super-short trailer from September 2012, which has about 35,000 more views. That 2012 video surely has so many views simply because it has been out so long, was the only Bannerlord video for about two years, and mentions the word "announcement" in its title. The siege defence video, released just two days ago, already has over 500,000 views, so will probably match or outstrip both the 2012 video and the E3 one within a couple of months time. We can be assured that these big events are garnering plenty of attention for the game.

By the way, anyone interested in co-op discussion may be interested in the following thread: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,337708.msg8015664.html#msg8015664

Is anybody else a bit frustrated by the way the attackers approached the Battanian walls? The AI should have all these foot soildiers holding their shields up for Christ sake, they're crossing a F**** line of fire of a besieged fortress!

Infantry should keep their shields up all the time in a bloody battlefield. Specially when it's about to be engaged or receiving enemy fire.

VictorF said:
Is anybody else a bit frustrated by the way the attackers approached the Battanian walls? The AI should have all these foot soildiers holding their shields up for Christ sake, they're crossing a F**** line of fire of a besieged fortress!

Infantry should keep their shields up all the time in a bloody battlefield. Specially when it's about to be engaged or receiving enemy fire.

Game is still in progress and its not even beta so ...

VictorF said:

Yep. However, a mod will be able to fix that detail if they finally don't. Remember that this is still between alpha and beta, so they are polishing everything, even adding new features.

CTCCoco said:
VictorF said:

Yep. However, a mod will be able to fix that detail if they finally don't. Remember that this is still between alpha and beta, so they are polishing everything, even adding new features.

The AI not holding their shields up is an incredibly big problem. "There will be mods to fix it" is no excuse.

MrMundy said:
CTCCoco said:
VictorF said:

The AI not holding their shields up is an incredibly big problem. "There will be mods to fix it" is no excuse.
I don't think they'll have problems to fix it.

I`m not sure if this isn't intended. I watched the vid once more and it seems that the infantry is storming to the ladders as fast as they can. I really doubt that u can hold up a shield to protect your head and upper body and run as hell at the same time. Guess it was a poor tactical choice by the computer, but it doesn't mean that its bad programming.

Since we have only a relative short footage of the npcs trying to storm the castle, we cannot be sure what causes them not to raise shields.

VictorF said:

Watch the video, in slow motion if necessary to catch the details, and watch the men approaching the walls who aren't operating ladders or siege equipment. Yes, they don't have their shields up, but how many are being hit by arrows? I've only spotted one so far, probably because the majority of the arrows are being shot at the imminent threats; those attackers on ladders or bringing the ram and tower to the walls. When they are under fire, they lift their shields. I think the idea that every attacker within bow shot of the walls would have their shield up at all times is a bit of a Hollywood thing- if the defenders have so many archers that they can spare plenty to shower the attackers who aren't posing an imminent threat, then the attackers are probably biting off more than they can chew.

I am a little frustrated at the way spears are held while walking (try 2:13 to 2:20 for a good look at the men a few metres behind the ram). The natural position would seem, to me, to rest them on the right shoulder in a near vertical position, at least when holding a shield, yet they haven't opted to do this. There is something different from Warband however; rather than swinging them at their side with the arm moving as it would without a weapon (I think they still do this when running), I noticed that at least some soldiers are holding spears two handed (diagonally across their body) when walking- even with a shield. This looks more natural than the old Warband way, but leaves them slightly more open to missiles due to the shield position, and doesn't seem as natural as the posture I wish for.

Something I particularly like from the video is the gate melee; both sides are packed together tightly (as they have to be to stop the enemy getting past) and yet fight quite effectively. They are not randomly attempting attacks regardless of their circumstances; almost every strike attempted is an overhead, because side swings have no room in that packed melee and it allows the second rank to attack over the shoulders of their front rank comrades. I like the animations of sword swings too, they look natural to me (from a human movement point of view, I don't know whether they match historically accurate sword techniques). However, this is a situation where it would be useful, at least for the deep ranks of the attackers, to have some spears being used from an above the shoulder thrusting position, but we've seen no evidence of any thrust attacks beyond the normal ones and there is no spear usage in this gate melee. It would be very useful for multiplayer too, when we get choke points like this contested by many tens of men, as we undoubtedly will.

I really liked the orange tunics of the unarmoured Western Empire troops, they are useful for friend/foe identification and attractive. I loved the whole appearance of the outside of the castle; the ground muddy and bare in places, puddles reflecting light beautifully, the way the landscape is littered with those wooden archer screens and broken carts, the bulk of the attacking army advancing behind their siege engines. Looks great. I was very glad to see a sally option too, I look forward to trying that out.

MrMundy said:
The AI not holding their shields up is an incredibly big problem.

It's only a problem if you are being shot, and though I've spotted two or three of the main force (i.e. not using ram/tower/ladders) dying when watching in slow motion, the vast majority are not being shot.

VictorF said:
Infantry should keep their shields up all the time in a bloody battlefield.

That would look strange and awful.

Yeah, the whole "Don't raise your shield unless you're being targeted" thing kinda makes sense, but on the other hand I think it would be a bit too late for you to react if you don't have it up to block. Either way, I think with all the talk about it they might bring it up in the next blog, I think they did that for the last one where they made mention what we here on the forums were saying  :grin:

But speaking of spears,  something I hope they keep in that I didn't see this time is a dedicated spear unit. I remember during the PC gamer weekender there was a unit named "Battanian Spearman" and this time around there didn't seem to be any in the army. I like the idea of a unit like that, it's pretty historical I'd say, hope they keep that idea and maybe bring it to the other factions too.

DanAngleland said:
MrMundy said:

It's only a problem if you are being shot, and though I've spotted two or three of the main force (i.e. not using ram/tower/ladders) dying when watching in slow motion, the vast majority are not being shot.

VictorF said:

It still looks stupid how a unit rushes towards dozens of archers and noone thinks of raising their shields because they dont yet have an arrow stuck in their leg.

DanAngleland said:
MrMundy said:

VictorF said:

I disagree. From my point of view it would look natural and logical. It takes very little effort to hold a shield almost the size of your body at a position it would cover most of your body. Holding a 5-10 kg kite shield up for 150 meters is hardly tiresome, specially if it consirebaly improves chances of survival, ya know. I keep seeing folks telling how only two or three men are shot dead on the formations... well, if holding a shield up would lower that number to 0, then it sounds quite obvious that keeping defensive stance when approaching skirmishers is a quite and excelent idea. The kind of idea every single organized military force from Greeks to Romans, European medieval infantry to chinese shielded footman reportely put in practice. From medieval English and ancient Babylonian tapestry to bloody Total War games, everyone grasped the concept that it's sort of necessary to do it, hahaha

I understand that some believe the shields were lowered because some of the troopers were rushing to the walls, but it doesn't seem to be the case for most of the army following behind in tight formation. There's no reason for them to not hold shields up, considering they are obviously in range.

Anyways, it's probably just another one of those development bugs they haven't got time to look up into so far. Don't think this will be on the final game. I'm just neat picking since there's really nothing else to do before Bannerlord is out.

It was a bit annoying how AI controlled characters would keep up their shields all the time in Warband, even when when the nearest enemy was miles away behind several hills and stuff. Hopefully that behaviour will be a bit more dynamic now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom