Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Old Discussion Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, someone was talking about Game of Thrones, battle of the bastards, saying that BN can learn from it. Well... no.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P8AYtiaaFE&feature=youtu.be&t=25m26s Nothing to learn :cool: .

It would be beautiful to implement the world map with names of forest, mountains, mountain passes, gulfs, lakes and so on.....much more immersive...a little mod (better if self customizable) could easily make it possible....

Tarbosaurus said:
VictorF said:
WAIT.

Each trooper on the field has an ID and persistent equipment and face through the game?!
If I'm not wrong, it hasn't been confirmed, it's just a speculation debate.
the thing is, this should be just as easy as a random number generator. it is in fact completely the same as a random number generator except with the randomness taken out. and I don't think that there are two many people who really can't spare the couple kb's to store the data.

I personally think it might be interesting to have companions die if you also have the option to keep them from the field and they get some sense of self-preservation.

I still hope that we can assign companions or high-ranking soldiers to lead units for easier commanding.

It's not that simple. The troops in an army in warband are stored by troop type and amount, so an army comprised of 100,000,000 swadian knights and 3,000 recruits would only require 2 entries. To make each individual soldier have persistent attributes would be a bit of a pain, even if just for the player's party and even if the face was procedurally generated from a seed or something.

SenpaiHinds said:
It's not that simple. The troops in an army in warband are stored by troop type and amount, so an army comprised of 100,000,000 swadian knights and 3,000 recruits would only require 2 entries. To make each individual soldier have persistent attributes would be a bit of a pain, even if just for the player's party and even if the face was procedurally generated from a seed or something.

Like SenorZorros said, that's still just a couple KBs. A list of seeds.

In WB each regular trooper has "DNA", that is persistent. That defines (seeds random generator) its face and a choice of equipment.
The variety of equipment depends on rank and type, but the final choice depends on DNA and restrictions or overridings.

LonelyStep said:
SenpaiHinds said:

But it would require taleworlds to fundamentally change how the game handles troop amounts which, judging bybwhat I've seen, I don't think is the case in bannerlord. And unless every single troop in the entire campaign map was simulated individually, you would have to apply this only the player. Which is something I'm not a fan of.

SenpaiHinds said:
LonelyStep said:
SenpaiHinds said:

But it would require taleworlds to fundamentally change how the game handles troop amounts which, judging bybwhat I've seen, I don't think is the case in bannerlord. And unless every single troop in the entire campaign map was simulated individually, you would have to apply this only the player. Which is something I'm not a fan of.

Ah,  I see. You have a point.

I wrote this before the above two posts
Rongar said:
In WB each regular trooper has "DNA", that is persistent. That defines (seeds random generator) its face and a choice of equipment.
The variety of equipment depends on rank and type, but the final choice depends on DNA and restrictions or overridings.
the dna you are talking about is a list of tables from which attributes are chosen at random. persistent soldiers would simply mean that instead of rolling each battle the game would roll on the creation of the troop store those results in a file and use those instead of random rolls. that is really only a couple kb of storage. something we have enough of nowadays.
furthermore persistent faces don't need to be "true" individuals. as long as the combanition of body-gear-name is kept constant it does not mean if it is soldier 12 or soldier 247 since the player couldn't distinguish anyway.

EDIT:
SenpaiHinds said:
LonelyStep said:
SenpaiHinds said:

I'm sorry but I don't understand. this would be 100% compatible with warband troops. even if you transfer troops the game can simply transfer a set of units from one file to another.
I understand you don't like to see features that are only for the player. it makes you feel like an outsider instead of part of the world but in this case the interaction with ai troops is even less and most of them should not survive the battle. nevertheless this could be done for every troop but then I do start to wonder if you need kb's or mb's.

Storing 1000+ things and reading them back isn't too bad now a days, it might be even more costly to randomly generate 1000 troops all at once rather than read in numbers that were generated once while you were on the world map.  Eh sure they thought about it.

Narlan said:
Reapy said:
It's actually not that bad. Each troop has an Id...
I had the same reflexions, but since I have only experience in developing for scientific research in C++, I did not want to pretend I know anything in game developement, but it seems that it's not very different. Your idea about troups getting a name after beeing a veteran is a suprisingly good idea ! I did not think about it - and that could open the door to the ultimate promotion : giving land to our best soldiers, like it was done before. In the scale of BL, it would not be something causual, but it could be a way to replace dead lords.

I'm pretty much like yourself, my last job was basically writing data reduction (eg making sense of) huge logs of network traffic, stitching together transmit and receive logs and the like. The kind of stuff like loading up the battle and getting assets in place is pretty much the same sorts of things you consider.

The only difference with games programming is you are constantly in a loop between making a picture of the world in memory (like keeping track of player hitpoints, user input, ai movement etc), and then drawing it out on the screen.  You usually only have so much time in the update loop between draw calls so you have to be aware of that and how you do things, but for the most part it's kind of the same.

Biggest hurdle I think as a coder making game is artwork and actually coming up with a set of rules for the game, when you sit there a go, alright, I want this guy to run FAST, then you try to figure out what number means fast, that can be hard hehe.

But it would require taleworlds to fundamentally change how the game handles troop amounts which, judging bybwhat I've seen, I don't think is the case in bannerlord.
Are you a dev in TW ? :mrgreen: The only one who would complain about this are the devs... more work :party: . The thing is... maybe they already done that, we don't know. It's not that much of a pain to program, it just a list of number saved into the player file, a few new fonctions (and maybe not), some line of code added into the game, they already have the generation fonction, they just need to generate a face at the recruiting, then read the list, maybe randomly, category by category, until the battle limit is reached. The program need to diferentiate the player from the other lords, applying the reading fonction for the player and applying the generation for the lords. Obviously, having 1000000 troups would not be a good idea, but modern computer have many Go of memory, and numbers are not big data to store.

The problem is that if they don't do it, mods may not be able to do it, mods can't modify the source code of a game... right ?

I like the idea of veterans becomming lords, and you can assign lands to them. Or maybe they just become companions or some honor guard.

Lets hope the new diplomacy mod uses some of the ideas in this thread.

jackalj said:
I like the idea of veterans becomming lords, and you can assign lands to them. Or maybe they just become companions or some honor guard.

Lets hope the new diplomacy mod uses some of the ideas in this thread.
i like those ideas. maybe we could use influence to promote veterans to lords/companions

Could get a text to name them to, select unit to promote and it would be like, "Due to their unwavering loyalty and valour I am promoting (type name) to my personal Guard" with some influence cost

More than anything though I would like to start out with a family member or sibling at the beginning

While that sounds like a neat idea, what worries me about it is that it seems that troops are made to be more expendable in BL.

In the siege and weekender videos it really seems like troops are cut down a lot easier, including higher tier troops with, what seems like, good armour.

What could perhaps be neat though is a random event that would come up where you talk to a soldier after a battle and a small story comes up about how he has been with you for so long, and then you can choose to make him a companion, with a randomized or previously made name.
Though seeing as TW already said there will be 60(?) companions I'm guessing that's more of an idea for a mod.

The troops used to have persistent faces when I first bought the game years ago (was it the original mount and blade rather than warband?)

Anyway, there's a (WIP) mod that does it now, along with names and history.

charger said:
The troops used to have persistent faces when I first bought the game years ago (was it the original mount and blade rather than warband?)

You have a link for that mod? If it even works and not dead at this point.

jackalj said:
charger said:

You have a link for that mod? If it even works and not dead at this point.

https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=344906.0

It works fine for me, it's based on native with diplomacy mod. Don't know if he's still working on it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom