Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Old Discussion Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
DanAngleland said:
Since Saturday we've added over 60* pages to this thread. I think it might be a record.

*Depends on your look & layout options; for me we are on page 1863.

Now imagine what this thread will turn into when we will see Bannerlord sieges  :smile:

I honestly think this is going to be the most painful next few months. Like I keep checking several times a day on the Teleworlds home page for updates. The game is so damn close yet so far.  Once we've seen Sieges in action, what else is there left to show us apart from the game design background stuff? Like the diplomacy part of it, building and developing towns, villages, ect.

Considering we already saw basic sieges back in August, is it just testing every siege location, battle location, villages and how they change visually with upgrades, town visits, different meetings and ironing out bugs that are left? I imagine because the game is such a sandbox with so many random variables on different locations a lot of it is just testing how the game runs over long periods with different scenarios.

I actually haven't got a clue how game development works mind you.

I was also thinking, if Castles have been removed but for when they exist near villages, as a built upgrade, can you take over villages before towns? Or is it still only raid villages and you take them alongside towns similar to warband? What if said village has a castle, then can you take it? Or is it still only raid the village until town is taken?

rammler1991 said:
Hmm does anybody know something about voice acting? In the demo there was no NPC talking. I really hoped we would hear some voices in bannerlord  :ohdear:

That Zaszx guy above you knows absolutely everything we could ever want to know :wink:

I don't understand the complaints about combat, I personally really enjoyed Warbands combat system and wouldn't want it to go to far from that. I find it had a really nice weight to it, you actually had to swing and time your attacks correctly. The videos show it has a very similar combat system and this is great.

rammler1991 said:
Hmm does anybody know something about voice acting? In the demo there was no NPC talking. I really hoped we would hear some voices in bannerlord  :ohdear:

There was voice acting in the Gamescom videos, that bit where a guy named Cordalos talks to the player. Some of the important NPCs talk though most NPCs don't; the player character doesn't, though the player does have a voice (we know this from the character creation section, where you can choose different voices) which I suspect is for making war cries. Armagan said at the time that the professional voice acting hadn't been done, only place holders were in at the time of Gamescom, and it is apparently something that is usually done very near the end of a game's development.

So, we will hear some of the important characters we come across talking, but most NPCs won't talk.

I've updated the OP with a link to the official youtube video for the livestream. Unfortunately I can't embed it since the post already hit the max for number of videos.

Pilum said:
I would like to see missions where you could infiltrate an enemies castle and open the gates for your troops, or render defense systems, such as that boiling oil thingy (if they have that in BL), ineffective.
Or you could poison the enemies' well during a siege. So you would have to evade guards and stuff, since if they would detect you, the mission would be lost or you could try to escape.

I would like more imagination than we saw in Warband for sieges as a whole. While many people enthuse about doing real time damage with siege weapons in the battle map, which is admittedly fun, it could distort the balance between castles and siege weapons from a fun and immersion point of view I think. Huge stone walls being demolished in minutes makes a mockery of their defensive value. If in singleplayer we can break down a wall with a catapult in a few minutes in the siege scene, then all the defender can do is leave his men on the wall to be battered to death or wait for it to fall, and then suffer a quick death as the attackers flood in. That won't be so bad if building catapults requires a skilled engineer and takes plenty of time, but I would still like to see more from sieges- such as the defenders retreating through the streets or to the keep, or having different scenes before a traditional assault takes place.

For example, while siege weapons are being built or the besiegers are waiting for the defenders to starve, there could be randomly triggered or player initiated events such as the enemy trying to sally out and destroy your engines. You would get a message that this was happening, then enter a scene (probably at night) where your catapults and towers were being attacked with torches by the defenders, and you have to fight them off (perhaps dressed without your armour, having left your tent in a hurry, and with only a few nearby guards and companions to help).

The player could try and sneak into the castle; this might be through a companion who had sneaked in before the siege and now sends a message that he will lower a rope at midnight. You then choose a small force of shieldless men (so as to be nimble and quiet) to scale the wall with you and try to take control of the gatehouse; guards may spot you if you bring too many troops, or if you are defeated you will be captured and then could be used to get your army to leave, or you might decide to retreat if the gatehouse is too well defended- or you might succeed. In the case of success you would then leave the scene, and the next scene would have you respawn in the gatehouse while your main army rushes in below you- horns blow in the castle, waking up the defenders, who you have to fight off for a minute or so until your main army comes up to the battlements to help you. After that you stay in the scene and chase the defenders to the keep, fighting through the streets if it is in a town, and then using small portable rams or axes to break into the keep.

Bloodbeag said:
Friendly melee damage I believe is and will be in Bannerlord an option in the menu

THIS IS SIMPLY GREAT!

For the AI and player characters, I can give a suggestion - TW to add different heights for characters, if the engine supports this. Now you have so much available character modifications, but I didn't see a height meter and all NPC seem to be equal in height. It may have only a visual effect or it might be gameplay related, but height is an important aspect of character appearance.

DanAngleland said:
Pilum said:
I would like to see missions where you could infiltrate an enemies castle and open the gates for your troops, or render defense systems, such as that boiling oil thingy (if they have that in BL), ineffective.
Or you could poison the enemies' well during a siege. So you would have to evade guards and stuff, since if they would detect you, the mission would be lost or you could try to escape.

I would like more imagination than we saw in Warband for sieges as a whole. While many people enthuse about doing real time damage with siege weapons in the battle map, which is admittedly fun, it could distort the balance between castles and siege weapons from a fun and immersion point of view I think. Huge stone walls being demolished in minutes makes a mockery of their defensive value. If in singleplayer we can break down a wall with a catapult in a few minutes in the siege scene, then all the defender can do is leave his men on the wall to be battered to death or wait for it to fall, and then suffer a quick death as the attackers flood in. That won't be so bad if building catapults requires a skilled engineer and takes plenty of time, but I would still like to see more from sieges- such as the defenders retreating through the streets or to the keep, or having different scenes before a traditional assault takes place.

For example, while siege weapons are being built or the besiegers are waiting for the defenders to starve, there could be randomly triggered or player initiated events such as the enemy trying to sally out and destroy your engines. You would get a message that this was happening, then enter a scene (probably at night) where your catapults and towers were being attacked with torches by the defenders, and you have to fight them off (perhaps dressed without your armour, having left your tent in a hurry, and with only a few nearby guards and companions to help).

The player could try and sneak into the castle; this might be through a companion who had sneaked in before the siege and now sends a message that he will lower a rope at midnight. You then choose a small force of shieldless men (so as to be nimble and quiet) to scale the wall with you and try to take control of the gatehouse; guards may spot you if you bring too many troops, or if you are defeated you will be captured and then could be used to get your army to leave, or you might decide to retreat if the gatehouse is too well defended- or you might succeed. In the case of success you would then leave the scene, and the next scene would have you respawn in the gatehouse while your main army rushes in below you- horns blow in the castle, waking up the defenders, who you have to fight off for a minute or so until your main army comes up to the battlements to help you. After that you stay in the scene and chase the defenders to the keep, fighting through the streets if it is in a town, and then using small portable rams or axes to break into the keep.
Great Ideas! I hope a dev reads this and takes notes.

ITS HAPPENING AGAIN

W68trU7.jpg

CXt8gUl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom