Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Old Discussion Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scarf Ace said:
bestguy said:
I disagree. WB combat system is perfect (there can be slight modifications). There's new animations and that's all we need.
IMHO Warband shields suck. Not in balance terms, but in design terms.

For starters there's barely any functional difference in shield shape. Using the small metal faced shield doesn't really feel any different from a huge board shield. If you mod in a buckler it too will handle no different from the kite shield. Functionally they only differ in health amount and missile block coverage. The shield skill even reduces that difference when you actively block.

If you think about it, that's pretty awful. We know that in history shields were very varied. They were held in different ways, used for different purposes, and so on.
Meanwhile in Warband, they're just "right click to block". Their shape is barely more than an indicator of what faction the guy carrying it is from.
There are so many things they could've tried out. Hooking around shields. Simultaneous attacking and blocking. The complete removal of shield forcefields. More (or even infinite) attack and block directions. But no, we get the same system as years ago with no new ideas.

First of all, we can't say that all of those things, such as forecfield shields, are still in the game or the same as in Warband. Combat doesn't look exactly the same to me, and personally I am very excited by what I've seen, though yes it is very similar in general appearance and recognisable as M&B combat. I think playing it will be the real proof of how much things have changed.

Having said that...attacking while blocking sounds good but I can see problems with it in terms of gameplay. Since each player would have their weapon facing the opponent's shield hand, it might reduce combat to waiting until the enemy shield breaks, and make the shield user almost invulnerable whilst he attacks against a shield-less opponent.

Certainly I have written often before about how I would like to see the end of forcefields, but other players have pointed out to me that they abstractedly simulate small movements that the player might make with the shield to cover themselves. However, I too, despite such assertions, think it would be better if they were done away with and the player given more options, such as crouching slightly to cover more of the player with the shield. Apart from the silliness of missiles being caught in thin air by forcefields, sometimes players can be attacked from almost behind and deflect the attack due to forcefields because the swing connects around the side of the player and clips the ff. The common argument in favour of ff in this instance is that the player in real life would shift the shield to the side, but of course often the shield user doesn't even know there is a player behind them, so gets defence against a strike they weren't even aware of, plus they may be aware of them but be busy fending off an attacker to the front- in which case, tough luck, they should get hit because that is natural. If the enemy has flanked you, you shouldn't get magic >180 degrees protection from your shield!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom