Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Old Discussion Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lumos said:
... what banner selection UI?
And he calls himself a 'Grandmaster Knight'. :smile:

In light of the recent Q&A (8th June), I must state that I personally am all for waiting, as long as something good comes out of it. However, from the looks of it, Bannerlord is too focused on keeping a lot of elements from M&B. That's not bad - on the contrary -, but considering the circumstances, that phase of renewal should have at least been an exhausted subject of debate, let alone for the development concerning it to have finished. M&B is an unfinished blueprint and there should be more focus on the addition that Bannerlord brings - not on what it retains from its prequels. There is a humongous diversity in features suggested and an enormous range of aspects needed in order to provide solely the foundation of what could be described as a realistic, highly-detailed (not in the sense of graphics but in the sense of mechanics), option-rich and last but definitely not least a modern, entertaining experience.

testertesting said:
Lumos said:
... what banner selection UI?
And he calls himself a 'Grandmaster Knight'. :smile:
I didn't see Vraelomon's post that shifted the topic onto banners. Oops.

Besides, my father isn't usually an impoverished noble, and I rarely get to pick a banner... and I always choose from a banner on the first page. I'm pretty sure mods add a "prev page" button, too. I've also not played this game in more than a year now.
<insert more prolonged defensive explanations here>

But come on though, this was the cagiest Q&A I've heard. "Oh, I can't talk about that, don't know about that, I'll try my best to answer a few questions..." watch some politicians and at least make it sound like you're answering. Right now, it just sounds like y'all haven't gotten that far. Just keeping it real, not hating. I certainly couldn't dev a game heh.

That's because you're comparing a game made with an RPG Maker to a game created by people who also create the tools they use. You're provided with assets, while they create them. It's natural that they take more time, and the end product is going to be of far better quality than your "solo RPG Maker game".

YES, I'm aware they will generate a better game than my first-time-ever solo RPG maker game. Ha ha, thx for your insight there, it was really necessary. : / For a second there, I was thinking my RPG maker game would outsell GTA.

However, I assume the reason these people are PAID to WORK on games is that they work fulltime or regular part-time hours on their games and have actual skills doing it. I am just one regular dude who's learning RPG maker as he goes, playing around on off hours when I get off of work. Yet, if you asked me about my game, I could provide much better sounding answers than the ones supplied in that interview -- which supposedly has a team of experts planning it -- and is already heavily based on a pre-existing game. Years into development, it doesn't sound like they even have a mission statement or reason for updating this game. I hope they do, but they haven't communicated it, just danced around a few details like the music.

These folks are supposedly coordinating the work they're doing, not just throwing **** against the wall and seeing what sticks. So, for them to be years into the process and not even be able to describe what's different other than more MP, more modding, and openly saying "we don't know" to most other questions (including almost anything about functional differences or specific design) -- yeah, they're not presenting themselves very well. If it's a 5 or 7 year game to design, that means some designers quitting, new hires, a lot of inefficiencies and potential things to go wrong.

I love the initial game, not hating on these guys. I hope people *****ing lights a fire under their asses to figure their **** out and do a better job on the business/communication aspect.

DrSunshine said:
Yet, if you asked me about my game, I could provide much better sounding answers than the ones supplied in that interview -- which supposedly has a team of experts planning it --
Um...when was that ever stated? CaptainLust was responding to some users' questions on 4chan.

Johan_Stormcloak said:
DrSunshine said:
Yet, if you asked me about my game, I could provide much better sounding answers than the ones supplied in that interview -- which supposedly has a team of experts planning it --
Um...when was that ever stated? CaptainLust was responding to some users' questions on 4chan.

You must be acting dumb!

From what I understand, it wasn't a planned interview, he just decided to answer questions while he was there (I read somewhere on this forum that he was checking the M&B community over there). The incomplete answers are to be expected; the policy has obviously been to keep a lot of detail under wraps, so it would be odd if he decided to tell all in an impromptu Q&A.

That aspect is understood. But after 2 years of game design, one might have a game in some scenarios. Or at least be close.

I wasn't trying to criticize the interview, just the overall progress on the game and lack of apparent evidence of it.

Given the upheaval of many games over downgrade, which can apply to features as much as graphics, it's an understandable stance. Not to mention how fickle gamers are with their attentions.

Looking in more main stream venues like neogaf, if one reads the forums the reception to bannerlord isn't nearly as positive as it is here on these forums. It may be that tw doesn't need to be as cagey as it is being, but, there is an argument for playing things safe until say 6 months before release.

kingoo1994 said:
Let us not lie to ourselves. It is clear from the Q&A that Bannerlord is very far from being complete.
Complete or really intended for mass consumption/fans who actively keep up with bl news.

Edit, redact the above statement, I thought you were referring to the q&a itself, not the state of bannerlord.

The q&a is not a thing of significance, in spite of what any indie rpg maker dev thinks.

Vraelomon said:
I hope there's more to your reasoning than "He wouldn't answer questions".

I suppose that you think otherwise (regarding the completeness of the game), if my assumption is indeed correct, then please do change my point of view.

Really? The Q&A section gave me vibes of "we don't want to give answer" not "we don't have answer". Why would they share info - that they haven't yet shared through their official channels - on some remote thread or whatever on enormous site? I'm already quite amazed that half of info about BL comes to this thread with devs and half is second-hand reports from our Turkish sleeper agents and sniffing around the internet. Still, that being said, latest leaks rather give me a feeling that they got something special for us in their kitchen.

"BL is ded", "Where new devblog?", "Bannerlord vaporware"... I don't really care anymore, that folk appears three days to two weeks after each devblog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom